The Sewing Place

Log basket lining fabric?

Vezelay

Log basket lining fabric?
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »
I want to line 2 large indoor baskets, one holds logs, the other sticks - for our living room log burner. Its for practical rather than decorative reasons - stop bits of wood falling through the base/sides.  The lining to be robust - not tear when logs chucked in or poked by sticks. Also not show the dirt. So far I've considered the following options:

Hessian/jute - cheap but would it be stick proof,  or too stiff? Or look too rough?

Calico, strong enough? Cheap tends to be pale so dirt-prone.

Sail cloth/canvas - possibly most suitable but what I've seen is too expensive. DH's suggestion is to ask around for an old sail!

Cotton twill: medium price, best colour choice, but may tear.

I'll be buying online (probably Amazon or eBay) so have to factor in postage costs to Ireland and it means I won't be returning it if its not suitable!

Any thoughts please? What would you go for? I'm inclined to take a punt on the Hessian.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:35:28 AM by Vezelay »

Greybird

Re: Log basket lining fabric?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
The only problem with hessian is that it sheds "bits" creating dust. Maybe use furnishing fabric? Linen union is quite tough and you could probably get an offcut on Ebay.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
Thanks Greybird, I had to Google linen union as it was a new one on me, so now I know  :) Had a quick look on Ebay and at £12 a metre (I need 2m x 110) plus postage, that's way more than I want to spend. The stuff the hessian sheds surely can't be as bad as the bits of wood dust (and logburner ash dust) that's there now, can it? Or is it too porous? But interesting to learn of another option.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:42:32 AM by Vezelay »

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »
I've got a plastic trug that sits neatly inside my log basket.  Nothing falls through that.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 13:11:42 PM »
I would have thought hessian would let bits through.  Mines lined with calico and that works very well.

How about buying some cheap stuff and dying it a darker shade?  You could even tie in to your room colour, very chic!

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 13:28:24 PM »
I would go for a polyester drill personally. Just gave the liner in my shop bought basket a feel and it is probably polyester.

A lot harder wearing, a nice thick weave but flexible too. Washes easily, doesn't stain easily etc.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 13:34:16 PM »
What about some weatherproof outdoor furniture fabric?  I've not actually felt any, but it looks kinda tough on t'interweb!

Like this - linky.

I hate the bits that fall through baskets, so bought one of these.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 13:40:42 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 13:57:31 PM »
I'm taking all this in and processing - some great ideas.  :)

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 14:36:54 PM »
We put a plastic tub inside our`s - similar to these  (but not bright yellow!)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexi-tubs-yellow-pack-of-2/57370?kpid=57370&ds_kid=92700022850517316&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6NS38ome2QIVar7tCh2twAq0EAQYBCABEgKGl_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKzEraqKntkCFUbhGwodLjsCIA

They are a lot less heavy than the basket so I tend to carry the tub out to the woodshed rather than moving the basket

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 15:51:03 PM »
You can get those in The Range in a variety of colours (including green and black last year) and very cheaply.  They're incredibly useful - I use them as planters (with holes drilled in the bottoms) for things where the pots won't show, and for vegetables where the look of the pots doesn't matter.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 15:58:24 PM »
Have you thought about rubber backed blackout fabric?

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 18:20:09 PM »
Do you have ab Ikea near you? you can do all sorts of wonderful things with their shopping bags and they are only 50p
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/smart-home-appliances/tools-fittings/frakta-carrier-bag-large-blue-art-17228340/
Or is there any building going on near you. The jumbo bags that sand etc. comes in are mainly non returnable so end up on landfills, again really strong stuff that you could make use of.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Vezelay

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 20:39:50 PM »
Well, you've got me thinking on a different track altogether now. Our IKEA is 2+ hours away but somewhere in the house we have a remarkably similar blue bag (could it be an IKEA antique from 25 years ago when we lived in the UK?). In fact I've just found it and it's roughly the same shape as the stick basket.

And for the other one which is round with sloping sides, maybe something similar - a bag for life that's getting a bit beyond it. Or a couple of those sturdy cloth bags sewn together. See what I mean? So that would cost nothing and if we hate it I might look out for a flexi tub (in a muted colour) - I checked and mine are too big but Lidl might turn up one that I can return if it doesn't fit - or else go for that outdoor polyester fabric Bodgeit linked to. Gone off the hessian now after your comments but I agree some sturdy polyester of some kind should work better. Bags for starters though, then review. I'll update you with the final decision.

Thanks all of you :) x

BrendaP

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 21:11:41 PM »
Oilcloth had crossed my mind Brenda. I'll add it to my back-up list to ponder.