The Sewing Place

Living in a marshmallow world!

Ravingdoll

Living in a marshmallow world!
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
It’s Valentine’s Day on Wednesday and everyone likes marshmallow right?  So I decided I’d make some.  Almond and honey no less.  First problem, apparently Exeter has a shortage of flaked almonds.  Ground almonds only.  Although come to think about it, I probably could have gone to a health food shop but I get nervous in those.  Too many alien words and concepts for my liking. I cannot see the point of alcohol free wine, truly I cannot.  Anyway I got over that by getting chopped mixed nuts.  I suppose almonds must feature in there somewhere, otherwise they wouldn’t be mixed.  The recipe said to use 11 leaves of gelatine.  That seemed quite excessive and it only took four to make my Turkish delight cheesecake and it is a fairly old book so I wondered if maybe gelatine leaves have doubled in size since it was printed?  Big mistake Raving Doll as I ended up with a blancmangey kind of mess.  No the book isn’t joking, you really do need 11 leaves of gelatine.  So back to the shops I went, as I needed more honey, nuts and gelatine.  Came back and started again.   It’s cost me a lot this marshmallow malarkey as I also had to buy a new cake tin as you need a square one 15cms by 15cms which I didn’t have.  The irony of coming back to see a new shop opening just a couple of minutes walk away which is one of those retro sweetie shops (with loads of marshmallows beautifully wrapped) was not lost on me.  Anyway I tried again and this is what I got.  Absolutely delish it is, you can really taste the honey.  It’s more of a pudding than a confection which means that I don’t have to glare at the shop’s goodies when I pass it either.   :D

Acorn

Re: Living in a marshmallow world!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »
Yum!   :*

I made marshmallows a few Christmases ago and they were lovely - much nicer than the ones you buy (although I rather like those too!)  What I hadn't realised was how large a quantity I was making... they lasted a loooong time...  :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »
There’s no danger of them lasting a long time when you have a large family.  In fact they’ll be lucky to make it to Valentine’s Day.  That’s probably why I didn’t have a small cake tin, I’m used to making for the masses! 

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:22:33 PM »
ew I don't like marshmallow, maybe I'm the only one?
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
ew I don't like marshmallow, maybe I'm the only one?
Nope! Don’t like them either though they’re marginally better that Turkish Delight...YUK!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
Oh dear Effie, but if you ever want to lose weight sounds like a week with me would do the trick! 

Missie

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 13:22:23 PM »
They look yum Dolly!  I thought you were making them for a certain SG but you mention having a large family who will eat them?

Ravingdoll

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 13:37:48 PM »
I have my parents and two of my brothers with wives coming for dinner this evening. They don’t know (well muv does) that the SG is back on the scene so there will be a few surprised faces. Oh yes I should mention he is invited too. I’ve also made white chocolate ice cream with hot blackberry sauce. So it is a sugar rush evening chez moi!

Missie

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 13:42:33 PM »
Excellent or should I say, ooooohhhhh so he's meeting the family eh?  Do we need to be thinking about hat buying?  0_0

Mama likes to make

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 13:45:57 PM »
So will I bring red or white or both with me then...........

Inserts drooling smilie.
2018 fabric used 6.5m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 3.

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 13:58:23 PM »
Your marshmallow LOOKS delicious, RD - but NO, I don't like it either (or Turkish Delight) - tried both as a child and hated them. :devil: However, your ice cream and sauce sounds wonderful.  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 14:14:58 PM »
It looks and sounds delicious @Ravingdoll . Book me a place at the table. Just tell them I'm your auntie from St Mary Mead.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

sewingj

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 14:26:51 PM »
You are obviously a wonderful cook - I hope SG realises how lucky he is

(I`ve aleady got a good hat)

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 15:45:15 PM »
Now the chocolate ice cream.... that I can live with!...any pictures of the SG in the offing?

Missie

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 13:03:07 PM »
So Dolly, any updates?  What did the famalam think of SG?  Can't wait for the next instalment!