The Sewing Place

Roman blind help

Francesca

Roman blind help
« on: March 12, 2017, 18:21:51 PM »
One of my jobs in the next few weeks is to carry on making roman blind for the house. I did one for our back bedroom and the look is pretty good but I want to improve (I've got one that needs to be blackout again, and then two that will just be lined).

I purchased a kit that came with the rails for the blind, string pulley, rods to go in the back and also rod casing. The hoops clip onto the rods over the fabric in the back.

When I was preparing the lining, I stitched the rod casing on but left the last inch of it "free" when sewing it on, with the other end butted right up to the raw edge of the lining.

Then I sewed the lining and front together, turning inside out and doing all the finishing tape etc. This meant that one end of the rod casing was enclosed, and the other was "free" and open so I could push the rods in.

But when it came to sewing the rod casing closed I felt like it was just totally messy. I don't know why but it didn't seem like it was the right way to do it. The rod casing has to be open somehow, but I don't think this was the right solution... any ideas how I can make this neater for the others?

Vegegrow

Re: Roman blind help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
Not sure if this is any help at allRufflette instructions
Section 8

did you see what I did there... thanks for the link tut Fran
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »
I usually handstitch mine closed, but I recently bought a Roman Blind for the hall so I'll have a look for you.

I'm in work atm, so I'll post again tonight.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
Sorry Fran, I forgot about this (elderly braincell :))

Don't forget, I've held these up, so the workings will be upside down.

Hope they help.  I must be honest I did expect a better finish  ><

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.