The Sewing Place

Vogue 9513

sewmuchmore

Vogue 9513
« on: February 11, 2018, 19:15:21 PM »
Has anyone made this. https://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Vogue-V9153.html
I have done version A today but just not happy with the collar, there just seems too much fabric for it to sit right and if you overlap the stand in line with the front facing the collar is far too bulky.
So the stitch unpick will be out tomorrow I will re design the collar and stand. Will post pics later, camera battery flat.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Vogue 9513
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 19:22:04 PM »
I have that pattern, but not made it yet.  I'll be watching to see what you do with it - thank you for highlighting this problem  :)
Just looking more closely, the collar on view B is different, I may use that one!

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 19:23:43 PM »
I’ve got it too..but not yet made up....will wait to see what alternative you come up with.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 19:37:17 PM »
Yes I made up this pattern a while back. I'm pretty sure I did view B and I don't recall a problem with the collar. Generally I like Marcy Tilton shirts though they do sometimes have over fiddly details. I like pockets and this didn't have them. Apart from that I liked it.

It's not impossible that there is a little error in the pattern. I found a mistake in the instructions for the latest Marcy Tilton shacket. I've also found a bigger error in a Vogue coat pattern(not a Tilton) which I need to email them about.

Have you checked to see if thete any reviews on patternreview or elsewhere?You do sometimes get several people highlighting the same problem.

'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

sewmuchmore

Vogue 9513 now completed
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 18:34:18 PM »
oops, my mistake. I was trying to line up the facings and that is why the collar was all to cock. Photo 1
The stitch line of the facings are not supposed to meet, photo 2, but this looked odd when I fathomed it out so decided to make a feature of the stitch line. (you will see were I started to daydream).Plus the sleeves were rather baggy so I have put some tucks in to give them a bit of shape.
Can you see my deliberate mistake?

Janet

jen

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
Nice style, plenty of interesting features. The pocket appeals to me.

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:05:24 AM »
Nice one- this caught my eye too.  The sleeve tucks are GORGEOUS.  Is the mistake that you flipped left for right?  Single layer should always be cut  on right side of fabric.  I think.
The pocket is great
C'est moi!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »
C'mon, tell us the deliberate mistake - otherwise known as a design feature of course.
I like those sleeve tucks too, may have to nick that idea when I make this, the pattern is in my "still to make" pile.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 14:40:29 PM »
This is one of my all time favourite patterns -  I've made 4 of them and will certainly do some more.  It fits nicely over the shoulders and flares out. The pockets are great. The peplum is one long piece and it's not completely symmetric so that's one to look out for on the right side wrong side of fabric thingy.

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 18:08:22 PM »
Tamnymore and sewmuchmore ( ;) are you related?), what fabrics do you recommend for this pattern? I have the pattern and was thinking of making it up in a linen blend. Would this be too stiff do you think? Is a drapey fabric better, or does the pattern need something with a bit of crispness to it?

I liked sewmuchmore's version so got the pattern in the half-price sale recently.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 18:35:31 PM »
Nice one- this caught my eye too.  The sleeve tucks are GORGEOUS.  Is the mistake that you flipped left for right?  Single layer should always be cut  on right side of fabric.  I think.
The pocket is great
Yep, I did cut out on right side of fabric but then put a chalk mark indicating it was the wrong side. Didn't realise until it was made. But, hey who cares, I do like to break the rules  ;) the fun in making your own clothes is you can do your own thing.

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 21:46:04 PM »
@SkoutSews  we might be related if we were both part if the More clan but my name comes from the name of the place in Ireland where one of my grandmothers was born.  :D

The beauty of this pattern is that it looks good in a variety of fabrics. I've made it in a fine lawn, a varuna wool and a heavier brushed cotton, also a slightly heavier wool.  All are good although I like the varuna wool best. Crisp or flowing fabrics would both be fine.

SkoutSews

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 22:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice Tamny. It'll give me a bit more confidence when shopping for the fabric.

jen

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 07:28:17 AM »
I’m starting to feel pattern purchase coming along, with all this infectious enthusiasm in the air.  :D

sewmuchmore

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
@SkoutSews  we might be related if we were both part if the More clan but my name comes from the name of the place in Ireland where one of my grandmothers was born.  :D
@SkoutSews and @Tamnymore and I am from the Booth Clan, Yorkshire through and through. The first Booth every to be recorded was in Yorkshire in 1274. It literally means cow house. Please keep your cow references to yourself I have heard them all over the years  ;)

Janet