The Sewing Place

Got a bit of a problem...

b15erk

Got a bit of a problem...
« on: February 12, 2018, 13:55:15 PM »
Not sewing related.

I took one of OH's watches in for a repair before Christmas.  The chap I use is on the market, and I was told that it may have to be sent away and could be gone several weeks.  Not a problem, OH has other watches, and I'd used the chap very often before so left it with him.

I'd been back a few times since Christmas, but the girls couldn't find the watch, and assumed it was still away.  This Saturday though, they said that the boss knew about it, and could I come back when he was in.

I did so, and found that my husband's watch had been stolen by an opportunist thief whilst the chap was working on it.  He said that if I brought a picture of it in he would try to get something similar for me....

I was quite taken aback at how casually he was treating the matter.  Whilst it wasn't an expensive watch it was quite unusual, and OH had had it for 30+ years.  It was bought from one of the Sunday magazine 'limited edition' offers, because it was so unusual.

OH was quite annoyed at the blase attitude, but neither of us know what rights we have in these circumstances....

Do I put it down to experience or what?

I've spent the morning looking for similar watches, but nothing is coming up.

I've put a pic up of something which gives and idea of the watch, but OH's is the zodiac sign Taurus, and far nicer.

Any ideas folks?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

Re: Got a bit of a problem...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 13:57:23 PM »
I would go to Citizens Advice and ask for what can be done. The man should, I believe, have insurance to cover the cost of replacing the watch and if one cannot be found, then enough funds to cover the recreation of one. This happened with a ring my Mum had - the insurance had the jeweller quote the cost to remake it and that was the payout she received.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 14:09:37 PM »
Thanks Fran.  I think that too, but he was so blase about the matter, and I wondered if he thought that because it was an old watch, and of little monetary value, we wouldn't bother about it?

I've scoured the internet, but up to now I've been unable to find anything which is as nice.  The pic I've attached is a similar style, but the face is a gold cameo of the Taurus motif, and it's very striking.

I'll get in touch with Citizens Advice this afternoon.....

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 14:28:22 PM »
Do you remember what brand it was? I once had a Candino watch, it was very accurate, was water tight down to 100 meters (that was the odd part, because usually it's measured in atm.) and Saphire glass that still had no scratches after 10 years. .  It was water proof in real life too, in the shower, soapy water, rain and all kinds of temperatures outdoors. This watch was stolen from my desk, and I still remember it 8 years later. Few watches are actually water proof in real life, regadless of what it says on the back.

The main point is, I have a couple of times managed to find a picture of it on the web. It was rather random, and I cannot do it unless I keep my eye out for months and months.

Watch qualities; many medium priced watches often have the same Swiss or Japanese made internal mechanism, but the price difference is often in the casing, the chain, the degree of water proofness, how well made the dial is, workmanship and choice of materials.

I need a new watch too, and on my list of requirements are, actually water proof, durable casing and saphire glass. I have a Pierre Balmain watch, very nice in every way, but after they replaced the battery the first time it hasn't been very water proof.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 14:48:59 PM by arrow »

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 14:38:00 PM »
I can't remember the brand name arrow - I've been racking my brains all morning, but it's not happening.

It wasn't expensive, and it was only a dress watch, but it is my OH's property and he's upset about it.  I'm sure we'll have the receipt somewhere (OH keeps stuff like that), but as far as a picture goes, we'll have to trawl through the old photos.

Citizens Advice is constantly engaged.....

Jessie

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 15:16:52 PM »
Did you obtain a receipt from the repairer as if not, he could just claim that he never had it to be even more underhand.
What goes around comes around.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 15:39:11 PM »
UR, all that I was given was a raffle ticket.  One part is attached to an envelope containing the item to be repaired, the other half I was given, but there is no indication on the ticket what you have brought in, and for what reason.

Jessie

Fajita

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 16:10:40 PM »
If it's been stolen, it should have been reported to the police, and you'll need a police reference number to claim on insurance, I would think.

I also wouldn't use him next time!

My own problem is my watch needs a new battery and I've been quoted £100 to have it done. Sweet Fanny Adams to that!

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 16:37:19 PM »
I got bought a lovely watch from Avon for Christmas which is constantly going slow on me. Not very happy about that. It's an Orla Kiely limited edition one with a lovely wide flat face.

Lizzy777

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 18:01:38 PM »
UR, all that I was given was a raffle ticket.  One part is attached to an envelope containing the item to be repaired, the other half I was given, but there is no indication on the ticket what you have brought in, and for what reason.

Jessie

I don't think that matters really because the Owner has already acknowledged verbally that he has received the watch, was repairing the watch, had the watch stolen whilst in his safekeeping and has offered to compensate you (with another watch). You don't need any further receipts or anything else. You have his form of confirmation that he accepted your watch for repair and it was in his safekeeping i.e the raffle ticket.

You don't have to accept what he is offering you if you aren't happy with it. Obviously you will need to know what you would accept as a form of compensation for it? I  would look for a picture /photograph of the watch for reference purposes.  I would insist on a confirmation that he has reported the theft and has a crime number too? Otherwise how do you know it has been stolen?

I think it is a bit off that he was blasé about it all. Quite obviously your husband loved that watch, he has had it for over 30 years and he was very attached to it too. The repairer should treat this more seriously whatever the value of it was. I would be quite upset if that happened to me too. Thing is you will need to have a think what is acceptable as compensation for the watch (if it doesn't turn up)  and let him know rather than him just trying to foist another watch on you? Its strange that for an old watch that hasn't got a great value attached to it, that it was stolen? You'd think the thief would have taken something of a much higher value to make it worth his while?

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 20:52:05 PM »
@Fajita: I have a Mappin & Webb watch that I take into a branch whenever the battery needs replacement.  I was told that the glass was scratched and was quoted over a £100 for a replacement quite a few years' ago.  The glass has since fallen out and I just can't bring myself to get it sorted especially now that M&S is selling this, which is very similar.

arrow

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 21:32:41 PM »
I'm sidetracking terribly here, but if it was a good Mappin & Webb watch in nice condition I would pay to have the glass replaced. Some times you have to track down a type of glass that looks right on the watch, not just any they have in the store (watch glasses can be raised, thin, thick, cut in various shapes above the bottm rim, cheap, expensive,...). Very low cost watches can be a good buy, but they usually fail in some way much too soon. Analog watch means wind-up watch? Has anyone tried the M&S watches for £28? I have a watch I've never used, cost next to nothing, just needs a battery.

Jessie, I don't know what kind of compensation you can get. The same watch might appear some where, but often in worn condition. If it's not the money, I don't think there's much to gain by involving a lot of people in it. When it comes compensation I guess it's always money. Was it stolen for sure or is there a chance it might have been misplaced?

I have never had expensive watches, I think they have varied from £40 to £300. They have all been good, even the old wind-up watch. For me £300 is expensive enough, I wear them every day, every where. £40 in the early 80s is a bit more than now, the watch is still running.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 21:41:21 PM by arrow »

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 08:22:11 AM »
@arrow: I do have the glass and my intention was just to have it reseated.  I bought the watch nearly 30 years' ago and it cost over £100.  I stopped wearing it and a lot of other things when I gave up work.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:28 AM »
Jessie have you thought about visiting local second hand jewellery and ‘cash for gold’ shops to see if it has been sold to them? Also do a search on eBay. A lot of thieves/drug addicts do that kind of thing, bearing in mind the street value of a bag of heroin is £10 that’s all it needs to be worth to them.

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »
RD, that's a great idea!  I haven't been able to locate even a picture of the watch up to now.

We have a few pawn type shops in town who don't seem fussy, so I'll ask around.

Thank you all for your help, some great information here, and I feel on slightly firmer ground now.

Jessie