The Sewing Place

Catching fire!

Ellabella

Catching fire!
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:08:05 AM »
I've recently had to start using emollient creams on a regular basis, no problems there.

Yesterday there was a lot of publicity about unfortunate people who had gone up in flames after using them whilst smoking etc.

Still no problem, I don't smoke and seldom use candles.

But if anyone has any idea how to stop my DH singing 'I am The God of Hell Fire" or 'Come On Baby, Light My Fire', I would be very grateful.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

b15erk

Re: Catching fire!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
  :D :D :D
I thought my only my OH would do something like that!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bowerbird

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
Maybe the same way you stop a cat from doing things you don't want. A quick squirt from a water bottle, with a bonus chorus of "Fire & Rain"   :devil:
previously known as Plottie,

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
Oh dear! It's a serious point though as many emollient creams are petroleum-based. Perhaps we need to check the composition of the creams we use and be careful about not getting them on bedclothes - difficult as, if you are like me, you give your hands a good old moisturise before sleeping. I don't smoke, use candles etc but I am aware that one's hand can be fairly near an open flame when we switch on gas hobs.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
I don't think they are flammable on your skin, it's when it has impregnated bedsheets and they aren't washed frequently that there is a problem.
I use beeswax to make skin creams - it seems a bit more natural than paraffin.
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
I thought my only my OH would do something like that!

No Jessie, mine would too - only he would sing them both at once, probably along with another one and mix up all the words.

Fiona M

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »
The advice, if you have need to use these paraffin based emollients, is to wash any clothing and bedlinen that come into contact with the creams very regularly, and on as hot a cycle as allowed for the fabric type.
Many years ago I worked as a Dermatology nurse, and this danger was not then commonly known.  Many of the ointments we used were made from paraffin and coal tar, and very effective they are too, but the potential consequences really are very frightening and I'm glad that a Fire Officer has finally made the connection and brought this to the attention of the public.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:20:34 AM »
I make a Vaseline equivalent from beeswax, castor oil, vitamin E oil (and usually a few drops of lavender because castor oil has a very slight scent that I don't like). 

I don't know whether the petroleum base is about texture and delivery or actual treatment in more complex creams, but it certainly isn't needed in petroleum jelly!

Oh, and yes, Mr Acorn would be right there singing...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 17:29:49 PM »
Currently humming Fire in the Disco...

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 18:49:48 PM »
Currently humming Fire in the Disco...

That's a little modern for DH
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Roger

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 19:02:36 PM »
Darn this has really stuck... I’m onto ‘The Ring of Fire’ and it burns burns burns... the ring of fire...

I’m going back to my corner now...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 13:57:46 PM »
Have a chat with your Dr, practice nurse or pharmacist, the vast majority of creams we use are petroleum based including what we put on our faces and it comes down to using common sense and being beware of the scarey advice we hear from the media and scientists every day.