The Sewing Place

Do you pre-shrink interfacing?

sewingj

Do you pre-shrink interfacing?
« on: February 15, 2018, 19:37:16 PM »
I have never pre-shrunk interfacing and have never been aware of it shrinking later - but now I am reading more sewing books I keep being told that I should pre-shrink all types of interfacing.

So, do you do it?  And if you do, how?

Also, do you cut out individual pattern pieces of interfacing and then fuse them to the fabric pieces;  or fuse interfacing to the fabric and then cut out the shape ?  I think I`ve seen that called "block fusing"

UttaRetch

Re: Do you pre-shrink interfacing?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 19:41:25 PM »
I used mostly iron on interfacing and never pre-shrunk.  Where interfacing is required, the pattern will say and indicate the piece from which you cut it.  I have blocked fused, but it is a tricky business as you need to get it smooth.  Not important on lumpy fabrics, but vital on thin or delicate.  I frankly do not recommend it - ask me how I know? ;)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 20:59:42 PM »
I preshrink most of mine.   Dunk it in the bath in warm water. Leave to soak for a while then take out, roll in a towel to get rid of most water then hang over shower door to dry off. 
I have been known not to shrink that made of polyester but really prefer to do it.  Any natural fibre interfacing would definitely be shrunk.  Although I was using some fusible canvas for a bag a couple of years ago and decided to preshrink as I went.  I cut it out larger than needed , steamed it and watched it shrink before my eyes!  Then fused in place.  I hate cutting interfacing and prefer to block fuse as I find it easier to cut after it's fused to the fabric. 

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 21:01:03 PM »
Never.... can’t see why you would need or want to.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 21:11:42 PM »
The only time in 50+ years I have ever preshrunk interfacing was canvas for a traditionally tailored jacket.
I mostly use natural fibre fabrics and have never had an interfacing problem through not pre shrinking.
Life's too short for ironing.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 21:47:57 PM »
Cotton yes, polyester no.

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 11:25:00 AM »
Never.... can’t see why you would need or want to.

I never have either.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 22:13:41 PM »
I'm another who mostly uses iron-on interfacing so I've never tried.  If I was to undertake something complicated enough, such as a coat, that needed the sew-in stuff it would probably need dry cleaning anyway, so I can't see the point.

If you mean curtain interfacing (interlining) - which is essentially the same as (cotton) quilt wadding then if I thought the curtains might get washed I would pre-wash.  I do pre-wash quilt wadding because that will shrink a bit.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 07:38:48 AM »
Thanks for all of your replies.

I have read a couple of books lately which say that all interfacing - including iron-on - should be pre-washed. I`m trying to do things "properly" these days but there doesn`t seem to be any actual evidence that it shrinks so I won`t be bothering!

Another confession - I don`t always cut out fusible interfacing according to the grainlines (especially small pieces) and that doesn`t seem to have made any difference either

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 07:48:48 AM »
Fusible interfacing doesn't have a grainline and I am suspicious of the sources that say you must pre-shrink.  Don't bother.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »
I always cut on the grainline for woven, fusible interfacing but with non woven I just squeeze bits in where they fit.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 10:14:35 AM »
 0_0  0_0 I once had a patchwork of interfacing on a facing piece.

DementedFairy

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »

ONCE?
I always do it- very mean with interfacing scraps, me!
C'est moi!

Nevis5

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »

Oh gosh, me too!  I refuse to waste my scraps!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 15:57:58 PM »
Fusible interfacing doesn't have a grainline and I am suspicious of the sources that say you must pre-shrink.  Don't bother.

The fusibles  I use have a grainline.  Some are polyester but you can also get fusible lawn, muslin and cotton.  These I would definitely pre shrink.  I wouldn't want them shrinking during the construction process which they would with pressing.  You would probably  end up with the garment fabric distorted.