The Sewing Place

Trousers, almost there...

lakaribane

Re: Trousers, almost there...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 14:48:19 PM »
I agree the front is perfect, but those are substantial folds at the back, the side view also seems to have a big fold. I also like the shape and length of the leg on you.

I don't have a flat butt, though my mother does. I am going to try Style Arc's Flat Bottom Flo for her in a ponte.

Thank you for the link to the Ann Crowley tutorial. Will try it for my mother.

Perso, I just bought a $20 Craftsy class by Suzy Furrer. IIRC, she had two trouser classes last year. Now, it's 1 class, which incorporates both drafting and design. I will let you know how it takes care of my curves (low wide butt, hourglass, 1m53 height).

UttaRetch

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 16:04:55 PM »
As I said, I am not really a trousers person but I wanted to demonstrate to others that my shape is impossible to fit satisfactorily. 0_0

Mocarroll

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 21:43:07 PM »
Oh, I love all of you who suggested I try a thin thigh adjustment! I think next pair will be lifted up at the back centre seam (I was too lazy to do it as I had already put the invisible zip in) and the crotch seam lowered. Thanks to you all for your helpful comments.  Watch this space for the next try....

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 22:32:47 PM »
As I said, I am not really a trousers person but I wanted to demonstrate to others that my shape is impossible to fit satisfactorily. 0_0

I don't agree UR.  I am definitely worse than you!  And I've come across all sorts of shapes and sizes.     It's just trial and error and getting a pattern that may be a good starting point.  I draft my own but even those need fitting! 

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 22:46:26 PM »
You are too hard on yourself UR. You are lovely and curvy. It's only fashion that says we shouldn't have curves. Go back a few years and the fashion would have favoured you. It always seems cruel but we have to rise above it! I think you should wear trousers if they fit your lifestyle. It's a question of finding the right trouser for you.

I mostly wear trousers now because I have a problem with swollen ankles, but I have learned not to wear long or tunic tops with them because they make my legs look too short. I make my tops to come just over my hips but stop short before the tops of my thighs. Try experimenting with what might be right for you - and start celebrating womanliness!!

Sorry for side-tracking your thread Mocarroll.

Roger

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 23:06:28 PM »
My other half is pretty curvy and loves the Indian style Salwar; lots of pleats and space, drawstrings and the like and they can be very vibrant - especially with Purple DMs :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Missie

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 08:44:02 AM »
I do like the skinny look but not on me, my belly’s too big and I’m too short. 

Err, what belly?  They look fab!

Helen M

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »
They look fantastic! I can recommend Ann Rowley's adjustment. Just one thought on this pair, does the crotch length fit comfortably? Sometimes a slight 'scoop' can also help to remove excess fabric at the very top of the back of the thigh. You could try it on this pair before you start another.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55