The Sewing Place

Time for a double scotch.

rubywishes

Time for a double scotch.
« on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:21 AM »
Long story but here we go:

I have a quilt I have been wanting to quilt for ages but illness...both me and my machine have delayed the process for months. Now finally the day has arrived and I have the centre of my quilt nicely quilted but the pattern I want to do on the sides is going to require me to draw it out on the top. Fine and dandy, grab the bright contrasting fabric maker and draw my lines....lovely....now to quilt.

And so I sit down at the machine...oh did I mention that my quilt top has a lot of cream fabric in it? Make a note of that....it's important peoples! Right, so I'm sitting down at the machine ready to start quilting when I notice my fabric marker is back in its box beside the machine......can ya guess where this is going now?

So 5 thoughts enter my mind in quick succession:
Thought 1: Man, I'm getting forgetful....I put that pen away and don't even remember doing it.
Thought 2: Woops forgot to put a CD on...hmmmmmm "Best of Dusty Springfield" I think today.
Thought 3. Meh, maybe I have 2 bright pink markers and that's why there's one already back in the box.
Thought 4. and this occurs to me after a moment of sheer blind panic smacks me in the face Did I just use one of my whiteboard markers that live on the bookcase instead of a marking pen?
Thought 5. Also occured to me after a moment of sheer blind panic when I grabbed the pen in question off my cutting table and noted that it was indeed a whiteboard marker. Would a scotch at 11am in the morning be warranted in a moment like this?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:16:58 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

Re: Time for a double scotch.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:43:32 AM »
OMG!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!

Does the Colour of the marker go with your quilt?

Does it bring out the accent colour???

Are you quite a neat drawist ????

Do you think you could possibly, just possibly make a feature of the lines ??

sort of twiddling the quilting lines around the (horribly, irrevocably, completely unerasable) drawn lines like a clematis vine twines round a support ????

Scotch, God yes !!   Or Google .....

In Google we trust ?!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:46:09 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »
Yes, whiskey would be wholly justified.

I've had a few disasters myself lately as I have tried to finish my UFOs (there were reasons they became UFOs in the first place) and am looking for a new hobby.   Maybe Sudoku or those adult colouring books. 

fajita

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »
 :gin:

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 08:56:24 AM »
Hold the Scotch for a while, it may well be saveable (?)! (or have one to calm your nerves)  ;)

I had something similar happen a few weeks ago Rubes.  A toile I made turned out really well, lilac patterned body, white collar and placket, I'd worn it and washed it so it was on the ironing board waiting to be ironed.

I do lots of things on my ironing board, including drafting. Well, the phone rang, and I put the blouse to one side and returned to it later - much later - like tomorrow later.

My blouse had be sitting on an uncapped royal blue felt pen, and the tip had acted as a wick...

The blouse was ruined I thought, but decided to make an attempt to save it.

Three Vanish soakings and a machine wash, and it's as good as new!  When Crayola say their felt pens are washable, I now believe them!

Grab the Vanish Rubes, a big bowl, and soak, soak, soak.  All is not yet lost!
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »
I've got everything crossed for you, hoping you can rescue it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »

Is there anything left in the bottle?  Do you need us to send more?   :gin: :gin: :gin:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »
I would have been using a few four letter magic words, interspersed with at least two seven letter magic words!!!  :o

Apparently you need something with a high alcohol content to remove whiteboard marker, but I wouldn't recommend wasting your whisky on it - if you even have any left by now??

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »
Reminds me of a weekend in-service induction course I had to do many years ago - the chap taking the course (one of the Adult Ed service's big-wigs) wrote all over the white board and then realised he'd got a pemanent marker in his hand and not a rub-off marker.   :o
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »
Im, in answer to your 5 questions....no, no, no, waaaaay no, and finally for number 5...it's a no!
Yes Acorn, the look on that Kittys' face with his paw to his mouth is exactly the pose I struck when I realised what I had done!
Oh Jessie....I'm feeling your pain!!!!! and despair!!!!!

I tried cold water, dish detergent, a washing powder paste, stain remover, vinegar, screaming and lastly, after consulting with Mr.Google.... rubbing alcohol/hand sanitiser.  You're right Bodgeitandscarpar..........whiteboard marker needs a high alcohol content to dissolve the ink even when you treat it straight away. So yes, the rubbing alcohol was "the go". BUT, it took several hours of wet compresses of the stuff placed over the marks and changed every half hour or so, with periodic dab, dab, dabbing at the marks. Slowly the marks finally started to fade to the point that now, at a glance, you can't see them and once I've quilted the thing I doubt it will be very obvious thank goodness.
 The rubbing alcohol evaporated and the fabric dried fairly quickly once I stopped with the dab, dab, dabbing (and the mutter, mutter, muttering) and as the quilt is pin basted I was loathe to wash the thing so I just gave it a gentle pat with a clean wet cloth to rinse it an itty bit and have left it to dry. Today and tonight is blistering hot so I suspect it is already dry....will check when I can dare to enter the sewing room later...man that rubbing alcohol is sooooo perfumed....bleuh...even with the window open and the fan going...ick...it's going to be a few days before i venture happily in there!  It will be washed when the quilting is done and I am loathe to wash a quilt when it is only partly quilted....call me a sook but one scare today is quite enough.

What a blooming nightmare! And you know I have no one to blame but me, I was the numpty that put the sodding whiteboard marker in my fabric marker box by mistake. And bless Mr.Ruby...when he walked in the door this evening and saw me already happily enjoying an adult beverage he smiled and said "how was your day dear?"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:44:09 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sakar

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
Oh my god, Ruby, what are you doing????? :o Still need some  :gin:? I hope, you didn't hurt your hubby  ><
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:27:07 AM by Sakar »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 11:01:22 AM »
What a relief it must be to have got it off!!  Well done, and enjoy that drink!

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.