The Sewing Place

Irritated beyond belief

Lizzielogs

Irritated beyond belief
« on: February 20, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »
Could anyone point me to a tutorial about thread tension please?
I am struggling with two different Brother machines, one old one which I got out of the loft after 'losing' it for 10 years which to pay me back for my neglect only sews properly when it feels like it and a pre loved computerised one which does 'ordinary' stuff quite well (even though I'm dubious about the tension at the best of times) but if I try to topstitch using machine embroidery thread and a triple stitch it gets all obnoxious and tried to push the fabric sideways and break the top thread willy nilly.
I'm not stupid but have never had problems with a machine before and feel out of my depth - my nearest machine shop is 30 miles away and would like to give it a go before I resort to forking out cash!
I have two Janome machines one very old and pretty lightweight and one newer and more sturdy which I never have a moments trouble with - maybe Brother and I are the Paul McCartney and Heather Mills of the machine world and not destined to be together  :S

Anyhow thought I might ask on here while I still have hair.

UttaRetch

Re: Irritated beyond belief
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 13:30:24 PM »
I have a computerised Brother, the Inno-vis 10A, which stitches fine for the most part, although I only use regular 'sew all' polyester thread.  However, it does throw a strop when it comes to buttonholes. 

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 13:44:44 PM »
Lizzie there are loads of videos about tension issues.  I will go and have a root around for a decent one.

It is infuriating when your machine just decides to have an off day....

Are you sure you haven't changed the tension to do something (buttonholes), and forgot to turn it back?  Sorry, it's just that that is the sort of thing I would do.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 13:55:30 PM »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 13:59:14 PM »
This is a really good article:

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/2008/11/02/understanding-thread-tension

Jessie
Thanks Jessie I'm on it!
Youtube has been good too

arrow

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 16:15:00 PM »
For more specific advice let us know model number or post picture of the machines. Brother vary a lot in quality, from bullit proof straight stitchers to very plasticy light weight models.