The Sewing Place

Salon suitable fabric - for uniforms.

Bloobell

Salon suitable fabric - for uniforms.
« on: February 22, 2018, 17:55:53 PM »
I've got an enquiry to make uniforms (blouses only) for a local beauty salon and am wondering where best to get my hands on the right fabric. I'm assuming polyester, so the tunics can be washed and tumble dried daily, are colour fast and won't wear out too quickly, plus of course they have to look smart. The owner wants black or grey. I'll probably order 10 - 20m or maybe even more, so wonder if a wholesaler would work with me.

Suggestions of place to buy something like this please? It'll need to be online as I live in pretty much a fabric wasteland...

Francesca

Re: Salon suitable fabric - for uniforms.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 18:34:31 PM »
I would think polyester drill or possibly something like gaberchino.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 18:57:21 PM »
If you want plain poly-cotton Minerva Crafts have a huge array of colours for £2.99/metre

https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/fabric/dress-fabrics/es005-m-plain-polycotton-dress-fabric?colour=Beige

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 21:32:37 PM »
Bearing in mind they seem to retail for only about £20-£25 I wouldn't have thought it was worth having them made specially...but if you want to go highend, how about this?
spa fabrics
C'est moi!

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 21:33:24 PM »
C'est moi!

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »
You could try this place http://www.carrington.co.uk/en/

I would get as much info from the client as to the environment, eg are they cutting hair, and then speak to the company.

I know from experience of grooming my dogs, a nylon type fabric is better than polycotton in terms of the hair not sticking to it or passing through it.
Procrastination get behind me

arrow

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 00:02:53 AM »
Polyester crepe ducine can be very nice when it suits the situation. It's best not to tuble dry it, but it dries very quickly, in about half an hour on a hanger. It looks nice wash after wash, color friendly detergent at 40 C and not too much in the drum. It gives a different look than plain weave or twill weave. I don't know about salons, but it works both for special occation and every day wear. Personally I would feel terrible if there weren't any cotton shirt alternative, most polyester tend to irk me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 00:04:48 AM by arrow »

Bloobell

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 18:56:06 PM »
Thank you everyone! This is for a beauty salon, so they need to look smart, tailored and professional whilst being super washable and easy care.

Francesca, that gaberchino looks spot on, to me. Thank you! It's a great price, too.

Demented Fairy - she says she finds the styles change too quickly at her uniform supplier. She wants all her staff wearing the same top, and has twice had to replace every single uniform when she's had a new staff member start who needs a size she doesn't have, and has discovered that the uniform has been discontinued. It also means all new uniforms when they start to get a bit worn looking. That said, she's decided to get them made, using a commercial sewing pattern, in the standard sizes, and to keep a stock of the fabric. That way, we can just replace them like for like, as and when.