The Sewing Place

An absolute steal for the price and quality

Gernella

An absolute steal for the price and quality
« on: February 23, 2018, 11:11:24 AM »
I've lusted over this for a few weeks and my finger has nearly hit the button a few times, but, I have no idea how to sew it and all that I know is that you get a lot of fur flying around from around the edges so I think I'll leave it to someone with better sewing skills than I have.  Looks fabulous and rather this than the real thing

https://www.joelandsonfabrics.com/uk/fabric/faux-fur
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sandra

Re: An absolute steal for the price and quality
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »
It looks lovely and such a bargain!

No. I wouldn't know what to do with it either.
I imagine the most I'd use it for would be as fur trim for the collar.

Sandra.
xxx

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »
I've seen reviews of complete garments sewn in faux fur, but it's not my thing.  @Gernella: perhaps you could buy a length to use as a throw.  No sewing required there. :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 13:17:01 PM »
I do not need a fur jacket... I do not need a fur jacket... I do NOT need a fur jacket...

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 13:35:46 PM »
Oh dear.  Have purchased faux fur to make a cape that I haven't even made a couple for yet.

I have made a faux fur jacket before out of fake wolf fur.  It wasn't that messy after the initial cutting out.

Have also bought fabric for a t-shirt.  An expensive t-shirt.

And here I was trying to de-stash.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Roger

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 15:50:23 PM »
I’m so tempted... I want to make my daughter a long white fur duffel coat with voluminous hood!

It would be hilarious... and extra cute
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 16:44:39 PM »
I’m so tempted... I want to make my daughter a long white fur duffel coat with voluminous hood!

@Roger If you went for one of the darker furs, she could be a womble for World Book Day.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 17:01:28 PM »
The fur doesn't fly as badly as you may be imagining, I've made dog toys, and1 & a half infinity scarves using it, I've found the irritating thing about it is when the fur gets trapped in your seams

Roger

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 18:52:20 PM »
@Roger If you went for one of the darker furs, she could be a womble for World Book Day.

I’d get short shrift if I attempted brown... she’s a strictly pinky sort of girl... she’s already said for world book day that she will be a princess... or evil Queen of the Bunnies (I have no idea where that came from) but she apparently doesn’t have the costume for it.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
I have to admit that last night I went back and had another look at the one I fancy that has three meters left.  But, I suspect it will come and I will sit on it not daring to make a  complete b***s of it.  I've just bought some fabric off them in the sale and went  back again and got the last lot. My niece is a seamstress but asking her to do it would be a complete cop out, plus she would only do 'family' rates and when she is so busy that wouldn't seem fair.

I'll get over it, I need a new laptop, plus being realistic, where the heck do I go in the evenings where a long haired ivory and grey faux fur would look okay.  The last time I had one of these was in 1984 (it really did look fantastically real) and I eventually passed it on to my niece who was at uni then.  Buying the fabric would probably prove that my marbles had left the house. :S
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included