The Sewing Place

So I've been invited to a wedding

Vegegrow

Re: So I've been invited to a wedding
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »
I suppose that makes me culturally insensitive to assume an Indian wedding would be in India, Coventry will at least be much easier to get to.
No I said Indian wedding .. which does indicate its in India rather than a Sikh wedding
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Roger

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »
Salwar kamez is lovely and a lot of fun.

My other half (white British) wears them all the time and loves it. Needless to say we have a lot, but don't really have a good supplier.

The salwar (trousers) come in a range of styles and are quite easy to make and comfy, I made some for OH for winter wear (cotton drill and a second pair in flannel).

A floaty scarf is usually part of the suit.

I would say go for it and find one that is a fabulous colour and outrageously bejewelled!
I'll take some pics of OH's if you want.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Sewingsue

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »
Vege, take a look at Hampstead Bazaar or go for Lagenlook with added bling such as chandelier earrings, a sparkling necklace and bracelets.  Judi Dench is queen of this style of dressing.
I love her style, although I wouldn't have associated it with Lagenlook - but that is probably me not understanding what Lagenlook is.

I do know that I could never control a scarf the way she can.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Francesca

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
No I said Indian wedding .. which does indicate its in India rather than a Sikh wedding

My understanding is that an Indian style wedding is more country-specific than religion-specific in terms of the fashions. I guess kinda like how a Protestant wedding or Catholic wedding would be very similar in the UK in terms of dress and certain customs, as it'd be "British". Whereas a Spanish Catholic or Protestant wedding would definitely have a Spanish flavour!

E.g certain looks you'd see at both Hindu and Sikh weddings in India. Bangladeshi Hindus would do it slightly differently to Indian Hindus etc.

Not sure I made much sense there...

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
I'm sure you will look lovely whatever you choose, Vegegrow. The only advice I would add to all these brill suggestions is the obvious one you have probably already said to yourself - buy or make something you can use somewhere else! (And if you can achieve Judi Dench style scarf control so much the better).
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
I watched a programme called The Real Marigold Hotel, which is based in India.  The celebs were all invited to an Indian wedding, and wore some lovely outfits.

Wonder if you can get this on replay?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 16:04:42 PM »
@Sewingsue: sorry, I didn't mean to conflate Lagenlook and Judi Dench but she has been known to buy from Hampstead Bazaar.

@Jessie: that episode the Real life Marigold hotel is still available on the iplayer and be seen here.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Vegegrow

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 19:50:01 PM »
Ok so news on the Wedding front... we are now invited to the Sikh ceremony (which is not taking place in a temple) .. We have asked SIL to confirm we will not offend anyone if we wear Indian clothing but since we  have to sit cross legged for this a salwar kamez sounds perfect SiL has several and will lend but I am a couple of sizes bigger than her  so am thinking I may have to do some stitching ....the second half of the day is more western ( the 9 Bridesmaids will change into western dress) wedding is at the end of July so have some time .. but would like  to get outfits sorted since I may well have to make several...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 20:12:23 PM »
I wouldn't go for an actual salwar kameez, but rather a long tunic with a neck that can be embellished and loose trousers.  You could then add to the look with blingy jewellery and maybe a long scarf.  This combination would be good for both the religious ceremony and the less formal reception.

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 21:24:41 PM »
we are now invited to the Sikh ceremony (which is not taking place in a temple)

If it's not in a temple they will probably be more relaxed about things than they might be in a temple.

The biggest Sikh temple outside of India is just 20 miles up the road from me, in Gravesend.  I visited it a couple of years ago, everyone was very welcoming.  We were shown all around, had a few minutes talk about the Sikh religion and offered food etc.  The two things which we were requested to conform with was taking our shoes off and leaving them in the cloakroom/reception area and covering our heads.  The men were provided with triangles of orange fabric which was knotted into a head covering, the women were asked to take a headscarf - I have a magenta one with bits of gold embroidery on and I felt right with it over my head.

Everyone does sit on the floor, in the prayer rooms and in the dining hall etc, the reasoning is that it makes everyone equal, although they did have a bench or two as a concession to anyone very elderly or disabled.

One other thing I have learned about Sikhs, not from the temple visit but from a former colleague.  She is very westernised, but attended an Indian Sikh wedding in Birmingham whilst I was working with her and for that occasion she  dressed in Indian clothes.  She told me that the custom is to pin paper money onto the couple's clothing  as wedding presents. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 23:47:12 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 21:57:09 PM »
She told me that the custom is to pin paper money onto the couple's clothing  as wedding presents.

Almost makes it worth getting married to have a dress made of money  0_0

Catllar

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 22:09:37 PM »
Sound as if it will be a day to remember! How lovely.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

hernibs

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 22:34:52 PM »
Wonderful opportunity to glam up Jane...I'm sure you'll be stunning!

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »
She told me that the custom is to pin paper money onto the couple's clothing  as wedding presents.

My sister-in-law is Greek Cypriot and they also have the tradition of pinning money to the bridal couple.  In fact, a monetary gift is more valued than something wrapped, so money is also given for significant celebrations.

Vegegrow

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 09:02:08 AM »
Wedding invite requests no boxed gifts... so cash required I think :D