The Sewing Place

Any knitters here?

hernibs

Re: Any knitters here?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 20:22:56 PM »
I have been knitting all my life - am on a knitting binge at the moment....can't seem to stop buying expensive yarn....my stash at the moment (don't laugh you real stashers) is enough Fyberspates for a tabbard in dk and enough Malabrigo Rios for a sweater....then I fell for some mulberry silk from posh yarn for a cowl sort of thing.  I am knitting a sweater from Debbie Bliss Rialto 4 ply - this I had complimentary from DB as I 'complained' in the nicest possible way that her Fine Donegal Tweed yarn is a disaster....very, very thin in places and not strong so the waistcoat I am wearing will not last long.  This is the last yarn I bought before consulting Ravelry as to the quality of yarn...great site and so helpful.  Sewing is taking second place to knitting at the moment but I have too much cardmaking to do at the present time.
I am so glad that our Mods got this site going...thanks so much....so glad to be back among my 'needle' friends.
Just editing to say I'm glad the avatar came up...in case you want to know...it is Glenveagh Castle Gardens in Donegal...a great place to visit....and the gates are open to welcome you in!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 20:25:22 PM by hernibs »

SingingSinger

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 21:45:12 PM »
I enjoy knitting but not sewing up - so I have 2 completed socks waiting, one half sewn up and one waiting for the toes stitches to be grafted.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Ploshkin

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 21:52:22 PM »
Hernibs, Glenveagh is one of my favourite places in the world, I love the walk alongside the loch to the castle.  I didn't recognise the gates though
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »
Thanks girls.... way to go!  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Holly Berry

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »
I've just started knitting again, as something to do in the evenings. OH was getting lonely if I was upstairs sewing and he wanted to be together.

I discovered Carol Sunday Knits and made Kelmscott. Can't get the picture to attach.

Not the easiest after such a long time away from knitting.

Edit: yes it did
Procrastination get behind me

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »
HB, that looks lovely.  A bit out of my league though.  :'(

I love the collar....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »
Yep I'm a knitter too, I knit while watching tv. The needles have been hot especially in the last couple of years as we have had three grandchildren so blankets, cardigans and jumpers (DS jokes about our knitted babies) as well as things for myself. I was told a couple of days ago by DGS1 that "Izzy (little sister) needs a car blanket" he has a crotcheted - is that right? one and so now she has to have one too. It has to be purple, don't you just love them? When I haven't any 'orders' I knit blankets as seen on Project Linus and give them to the local SCBU - great for knitting on long car journeys as I don't need to concentrate
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »
Never done a knitted blanket Mal, but lots of crochet ones. I made Lilya a car blanket out of that soft fleecy stuff, with butterflies and bugs on it.

I'm knitting for her brother/sister now:)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
Thank you.

Not having knitted for so long, I saw the pattern on Pinterest, and thought I would have a go. I bought some cheapish wool and started it thinking it not too bad as the back and sleeves are garter stitch with a small amount of pattern. The front and collar are really about following a chart and they took me about 12 months to finish and a lot of unravelling but I got there in the end.
Procrastination get behind me

Mama likes to make

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 13:17:37 PM »
Never done a knitted blanket Mal, but lots of crochet ones. I made Lilya a car blanket out of that soft fleecy stuff, with butterflies and bugs on it.

I'm knitting for her brother/sister now:)

Jessie

Did I miss an announcement? Many congrats to you and your family. I love seeing your makes for Lilya and look forward to see what comes off the needles next
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

hernibs

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 13:57:16 PM »
Holly Berry....What a beautiful cardigan....Very complicated looking. Well done!

Ellabella

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 16:08:37 PM »
I too have developed a liking for socks, here is pair two
http://i.imgur.com/XuZDZ62.jpg.

I've just bought some more wool and am going to attempt Brenda's pattern but hopefully knitting both at once with the magic loop method. This could all end in tears.

Catllar

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 21:48:42 PM »
I'm an occasional knitter - can't do it here in the summer - gets too hot and sticky. Love the jacket Holly Berry - that could relight the fire! Off to have a look.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

LeilaMay

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 21:06:32 PM »
I'm knitting :)  Always got knitting on the go, even whilst we were in holiday rental for 5 weeks waiting to move in here. It's currently socks and a large blanket/throw and I've promised not to start anything else until one or the other is finished.

Pictures will have to wait, but nice to talk knitting with like-minded folks

Maximum

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 22:41:25 PM »
I enjoy knitting but not sewing up - so I have 2 completed socks waiting, one half sewn up and one waiting for the toes stitches to be grafted.
Have you tried toe-up on circular needles? No grafting and no sewing and you can try them on as you knit. If you weigh the yarn and divide equally there is no waste as you knit until yarn is used up.
I haven't managed to do 2 at a time toe-up yet so I have to "make" myself do the 2nd sock asap after finishing the first.