The Sewing Place

The Rant Thread

Francesca

The Rant Thread
« on: March 15, 2017, 20:53:06 PM »
I think we need a rant thread. Cos I need a mindless rant today. So share your rants here!

For my first rant, can I just say what is it about people using trains from London without having the tiniest thought that they might be busy during rush hour? Why why why does Mrs London Day Trip decide to get on the busiest commute line in the entire friggin' country with all her shopping bags? And then say "oh dear it's a bit busy isn't it?" Of course it is you idiot, it's the 6.18pm from Waterloo on a weekday. Couldn't you have left the shops a little earlier and spared us all your moaning and remarks? And not even that, your insistence "oh well maybe if I bash my way through an entire carriage there will be seats in the next carriage." NO. NO THERE WON'T BE. Seriously you think a whole carriage of seasoned commuters just thought to themselves "oh I'll just stand here instead of going down to the next carriage where the seats are plentiful". NO. We're all stood here because we know there is only standing room because it's RUSH HOUR and if you don't get on the train as soon as the doors opened, you're not getting a seat. And if you DO get a seat, don't put your shopping bags on the one next to it and then huff and puff as soon as someone comes along and asks you to move it, which they will, because have you seen how busy this train is?!

Oh I could go on but there is my rant for the day.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:34:14 AM by Francesca »

Vegegrow

Re: The Rant Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 21:22:04 PM »
As someone who lives and works at home you have my sympathies... I probably manage a trip to a city once a year... I can never plan much in advance as the weather controls our lives... if its fit ..(the weather ).. due to rain .. wind has dropped.. dry enough.. several good days forecast  ...land work  is the priority as its the major part of our income.. if its pouring with rain we might go out for the day. holiday trips are decided and taken with a few days notice and anything booked further in advance is booked with the knowledge that if drilling or harvest is not done DH might not come . sometimes you can want to pull your hair out .. but I mostly feel I'm lucky ..
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 22:03:30 PM »
Oh Fran I feel your pain!   :snip:  I used to work in Oxford Circus and commute from Luton.  Drove me crazy.  The constant battle to get a seat or get the train. The times the underground station was closed due to too many people.    I certainly don't miss those days.  Nowadays I live in a village and drive past fields to get to work.   Not as idyllic as it sounds as we have extra housing going up all around us and we are starting to feel a bit hemmed in.  But it sure beats London. 

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 22:12:39 PM »
As someone who lives and works at home you have my sympathies... I probably manage a trip to a city once a year... I can never plan much in advance as the weather controls our lives... if its fit ..(the weather ).. due to rain .. wind has dropped.. dry enough.. several good days forecast  ...land work  is the priority as its the major part of our income.. if its pouring with rain we might go out for the day. holiday trips are decided and taken with a few days notice and anything booked further in advance is booked with the knowledge that if drilling or harvest is not done DH might not come . sometimes you can want to pull your hair out .. but I mostly feel I'm lucky ..

I definitely feel that while it can probably be horrible some times, it is probably a more fulfilling way to live. I'm used to semi-rural living I'd say, a nice bit of town but lots of countryside around. Boyfriend is getting very restless though as he's used to total seclusion. Not like we have here in the countryside either. He spent a large part of his childhood in Canada where the nearest "city" had a population of less than 2,000 people and was still a 7 hour drive away. A trip away would be to the Inuit village!

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 22:24:36 PM »
I, fortunately have not lived in a city for most of my life.  I am used to the countryside and my chickens, living in a quite secluded part of Derbyshire.  No street lights, no gas, no footpaths and single track roads.  I have now had to move for medical reasons to a village.  I am not at all used to having neighbours, what a noise some of them make  :(. I feel for you Francesa!

I have a bit of a rant today as it happens.  I loaded the car with picnic and my dog for an afternoon by the river.  Got in, key in ignition, yes you've guessed it, I got a flat battery!  Poor dog was so excited  :woof: :'( and had to make do with the garden.  So my car is now in the garage waiting tests on the battery even though it is still under guarantee.  I desperately need it back tomorrow so I can get to the dentist.

So stuck in the house I decided to make a start on the March B.O.M.  I spent half an hour deciding what fabric to use, cut out all the pieces and realised I'd cut them all wrong!

Thanks for starting this thread.  It's good to get it out of your system.  0_0 
Willing but not always able :)

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 22:34:17 PM »
I, fortunately have not lived in a city for most of my life.  I am used to the countryside and my chickens, living in a quite secluded part of Derbyshire.  No street lights, no gas, no footpaths and single track roads.  I have now had to move for medical reasons to a village.  I am not at all used to having neighbours, what a noise some of them make  :(. I feel for you Francesa!

I have a bit of a rant today as it happens.  I loaded the car with picnic and my dog for an afternoon by the river.  Got in, key in ignition, yes you've guessed it, I got a flat battery!  Poor dog was so excited  :woof: :'( and had to make do with the garden.  So my car is now in the garage waiting tests on the battery even though it is still under guarantee.  I desperately need it back tomorrow so I can get to the dentist.

So stuck in the house I decided to make a start on the March B.O.M.  I spent half an hour deciding what fabric to use, cut out all the pieces and realised I'd cut them all wrong!

Thanks for starting this thread.  It's good to get it out of your system.  0_0

Oh no! Our car battery seems to have trouble a lot recently. We bought one of these battery packs with jump leads attached. It's just jump starting but without the stress of lining up two cars bonnet to bonnet. It's fantastic and saved me when I was home alone and needed to jump it and had nobody else with a car around! Definitely worth buying. I think we paid £35 on Amazon.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 22:44:23 PM »
I'm not commuting every day now but oop north the trains are much, much busier than they used to be. Apart from more travellers the trains are short (2 1/2 standard class carriages on one of my trains and infrequent (one train is hourly, the other is two per hour and they don't connect) so I feel for those who must commute every day. There are often bags on seats, people in door wells and so on. Some of it is the lack of investment in railways but some do seem to be gloriously unaware of those around them!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 22:54:13 PM »
if its pouring with rain we might go out for the day.

That sounds all too familiar.  We usually manage a week off between shearing and maggots as well.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 22:55:23 PM »
Oh no! Our car battery seems to have trouble a lot recently. We bought one of these battery packs with jump leads attached. It's just jump starting but without the stress of lining up two cars bonnet to bonnet. It's fantastic and saved me when I was home alone and needed to jump it and had nobody else with a car around! Definitely worth buying. I think we paid £35 on Amazon.

That sounds good, I will have a look on amazon.  A friend of mine brought over a multi-charge battery pack thing the last time I had a problem but it didn't have the power to start the car.  I will look for the ones with leads attached.  Thanks for that.   0_0
Willing but not always able :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »
If you don't like dealing with the public, don't work in a shop.

I went into WHSmith's last weekend to buy a birthday card.  It's not my usual place for cards as they are relatively expensive, but I did manage to find something nice that I could afford and checked the price on the chart.  When I got to the paydesk, the two assistants were chatting amongst themselves and I had to attract their attention (how dare I?).  When the card was put through the till, there was a difference in price which I queried.  The other assistant offered to go and check, but as there was a considerable queue behind me, I said no thanks and rejected the price.  I went back to the stand, took a photograph of the price list and returned to the tills with evidence of the price structure so that I could buy the card.  The attitude of the clerk was really hostile, but I tried to rise above it.  She slammed the card down on the counter and probably would have thrown the change at me if I hadn't paid via contactless.  When she gave me the receipt, I told her I didn't want the promotional offer (MacDonald's/Burger King) or the 'money off' from whatever purchase and walked away.

I know that shop work is literally a 'thankless task' and I never approach the till holding a phone conversation during which I make no acknowledgement of the person at the counter, and I always say hello, please, thank you and goodbye.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 08:46:17 AM »
OK so needed to contact and make an appointment to have our  car checked following an air-bag re-call.
 Phoned number on letter - incorrect number. Found number of garage we bought it from - no longer receptionist but a menu - you know where this is going , right? After 20 minutes, 20 minutes, cos I timed it - various buttons pushed many times , cut off - we are sorry we cannot connect you.Again and again and again. Despairing I decided eventually - no buttons, just wait. Hmm, cut off - we did not receive your instruction.

After 20 mins I got through to a rather unpleasant young lady who told me it was, of course, my fault and nothing to do with her, apparently I dont know how to select a button  . But you are the first point of contact for the garage and the brand, I replied, yes said she but the errors on the phone are not my fault. Did I say it was your fault? Say I.  I'm just trying to point out that as a customer this new system lacks and your attitude and tone of voice is not helping.

At which point Mr C sensed I was about to lose it big time and took over - I went for a lie down in a dark room. That said when he took the car in yesterday she had the grace to apologise - or could that be because we called the head office in Paris and made a complaint/ ;)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »
OK so needed to contact and make an appointment to have our  car checked following an air-bag re-call.
 Phoned number on letter - incorrect number. Found number of garage we bought it from - no longer receptionist but a menu - you know where this is going , right? After 20 minutes, 20 minutes, cos I timed it - various buttons pushed many times , cut off - we are sorry we cannot connect you.Again and again and again. Despairing I decided eventually - no buttons, just wait. Hmm, cut off - we did not receive your instruction.

After 20 mins I got through to a rather unpleasant young lady who told me it was, of course, my fault and nothing to do with her, apparently I dont know how to select a button  . But you are the first point of contact for the garage and the brand, I replied, yes said she but the errors on the phone are not my fault. Did I say it was your fault? Say I.  I'm just trying to point out that as a customer this new system lacks and your attitude and tone of voice is not helping.

At which point Mr C sensed I was about to lose it big time and took over - I went for a lie down in a dark room. That said when he took the car in yesterday she had the grace to apologise - or could that be because we called the head office in Paris and made a complaint/ ;)

If you ever get stuck in one of those phone loops, try just staying on the line without doing anything. Often if you don't pick a selection after a certain amount of time the call will immediately be forwarded to customer service. Doesn't always work, but worth trying.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 09:31:10 AM »
I have to say, I often feel invisible in shops, and did actually say this to two 'assistants' who were conducting an in-depth conversation whilst manning the tills. 

They had the good grace to look embarrassed.  This was a some years ago though, and I don't think I would challenge them now, when people are so confrontational.

I threw my arms in the air and shook my head the other day when a young woman pulled out straight in front of me, and I had to brake very hard, very quickly.  For my pains I got the two fingered salute....

Why couldn't she just acknowledge her error and drive on?  >:)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »
If shop assistants ignore me I just call out 'excuse me, are you serving'
They have to say yes or no.  If yes then they can't not do it, if no then I would ask for someone who is serving (it's never happened yet)
Life's too short for ironing.

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
If you ever get stuck in one of those phone loops, try just staying on the line without doing anything. Often if you don't pick a selection after a certain amount of time the call will immediately be forwarded to customer service. Doesn't always work, but worth trying.

Yes, I tried that one, but just got cut off as " didn't receive your instruction" but you are right, sometimes that does work.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !