The Sewing Place

The Rant Thread

Efemera

Re: The Rant Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 12:58:57 PM »
How things have changed... I worked as a window dresser, I started in the late 60s, we had floor walkers and woe betide you if you weren't behind your counter ready to serve customers...talking wasn't permitted and elder sales people were addressed by their second names... we window dressers were lucky we got to wander around... it's not being acknowledged that bugs me.. if they're busy it only takes a moment to say I'll be with you shortly.

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 13:10:25 PM »
How things have changed... I worked as a window dresser, I started in the late 60s, we had floor walkers and woe betide you if you weren't behind your counter ready to serve customers...talking wasn't permitted and elder sales people were addressed by their second names... we window dressers were lucky we got to wander around... it's not being acknowledged that bugs me.. if they're busy it only takes a moment to say I'll be with you shortly.

I do think some of it has to do with the reduction in jobs in a shop. Seems like they used to employ a lot more people for specific tasks. I worked in Clarks as a teenager and we were to be serving customers by getting their shoes from the back room, fitting them, working the till, getting in and unpacking deliveries all at the same time. And then half an hour before closing we would have to be cleaning the shop down (hoover, dust shelves, clean mirrors and seats daily) all whilst still doing all of the above. I'd often be on my knees scrubbing a floor and get a grumpy customer "excuse me!" from the till where they wanted to buy something, or wanted a shoe in a different size. But it's hard to be all-ears when you're doing a million things at once! The worst was when they clicked their fingers at me. I just used to walk away then.

shadykittykat

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 14:01:47 PM »
I worked in Superdrug 20+ years ago and we were forbidden to talk between tills unless it was to ask something work related. Mum and I went into a charity shop the other day with a donation of toys and the volunteers couldn't have ruder, she barely glanced at us and couldn't wait to get back to her loud conversation. I wasn't expecting backflips but a thank you would have been nice!
Kate
Running, sewing, eating.....
Wandering warily in warmest Worcestershire

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 15:07:34 PM »
My London borough which is pleased to call itself 'royal' has decided after over 30 years of neglect to upgrade (for which read 'tart up') the block of flats in which I live.  The work is looking distinctly cheap and today the windows refit has begun.  To say they are awful is an understatement.  No one in the council would recognise 'in keeping' [with the 60's aesthetics] if they fell over it in the high street, yet 'planning permission' took six whole months.  As one of only four leaseholders, I am currently looking at a bill in the region of £10,000.  Not happy.  :(
What goes around comes around.

Efemera

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 16:01:55 PM »
The world has gone mad... and it's full of numpties!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 16:16:46 PM »
If shop assistants ignore me I just call out 'excuse me, are you serving'
They have to say yes or no.  If yes then they can't not do it, if no then I would ask for someone who is serving (it's never happened yet)
I get great satisfaction from saying "excuse me, sorry to interrupt..."   :devil:

jen

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 15:46:49 PM »
Public transport rant. When I was a child, children too big to sit on mum's lap in crowded trains and buses, gave up their seats to adults, especially women or older people. Men gave up their seats to women. Not now. Parents grab seats for their children, strong men lounge akimbo (you know what I mean) while pregnant and elderly ladies stand strap hanging. Damn rude. Children old enough to play on play park mini roundabouts can easily cope with the swaying of trains and buses and should be taught some manners.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 15:55:54 PM »
Public transport rant. When I was a child, children too big to sit on mum's lap in crowded trains and buses, gave up their seats to adults, especially women or older people. Men gave up their seats to women. Not now. Parents grab seats for their children, strong men lounge akimbo (you know what I mean) while pregnant and elderly ladies stand strap hanging. Damn rude. Children old enough to play on play park mini roundabouts can easily cope with the swaying of trains and buses and should be taught some manners.
I know what you mean!
Whilst visiting my brother, (probably a couple of years ago now) they have two arm chairs and a ridiculously uncomfortable old Ercol settee - Brother takes "his" armchair, sister-in-law takes "her" armchair, and my then 5 or 6 year old nephew lies across the settee.  Tony and I stand there until SIL tells nephew to make room for us on the settee, which he does very slowly, frowning, and with no comment from either parent... 

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 16:00:07 PM »
An awful lot of younger parents are not raising their children in how to behave in public or with consideration for the less able, but I have heard it said that you can't teach what you never learned.  ><

DementedFairy

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 19:51:21 PM »
The worst was when they clicked their fingers at me. I just used to walk away then.

I have had pupils snap their fingers to get my attention.  They get it, oh boy, do they get it.... :devil:
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 19:49:15 PM »
Great steaming, stinking piles of horse **** that is left behind by the mounted police who patrol the streets of mine and the adjoining borough.  It makes a mockery of dog walkers having to clean up after their pet.   :devil:

Fajita

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 20:04:10 PM »
Do you not rush out and sell it to the gardeners for their roses? :flower: :flower: :flower:

UttaRetch

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 20:09:03 PM »
And risk being mowned down by a double-decker or juggernaut?  0_0

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 20:09:27 PM »
Great steaming, stinking piles of horse **** that is left behind by the mounted police who patrol the streets of mine and the adjoining borough.  It makes a mockery of dog walkers having to clean up after their pet.   :devil:
I hate that too - it's disgusting.  When I lived in Manchester, they regularly rode their police horses along one of the cycle paths - how could they think it ok to leave their stinking piles of ****?  It was like a slalom course cycling along there!

Francesca

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 21:14:13 PM »

Yes, what on earth is with that?! I'm happy to report I do mainly see old and infirm offered seats on most occasions, but the children thing irks me. I don't really agree with being given a seat just because I'm a woman but I don't understand why so many kids seem to require sitting down.

The age thing is a tough one. It's hard to judge whether someone is old enough to be offered a seat. I've seen a lot of awkward exchanges where people have offered their seat and the person gets very offended.