The Rant Thread

Samantha

Re: The Rant Thread
« Reply #705 on: February 08, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »

@Acorn Oh right I get you now - yes I agree!! Very annoying

Francesca

« Reply #706 on: February 08, 2018, 20:35:47 PM »
Feeling very low today but also very angry about job stuff again. Still dealing with immense problems with my boss, and it's only getting worse.

Yesterday we had a meeting known as a "health check". It's a company wide thing where we're asked a number of questions about the team and our work and we give a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down". If thumbs down, we provide a small comment. Everything is collated together and sent to seniors who look for trends so they can influence new changes. A good idea all round!

We had the meeting yesterday and it was fine. Lots of negatives. Hardly surprising as team morale is very low and we're all very frustrated.

Anyway, today we had our regular "1-2-1" and he absolutely dragged me through the mud. He went through every negative point I'd raised and quizzed me on it, picked it apart, accused me of having no concrete evidence for it. That wasn't what the meeting was meant to be used for at all and it was so attacking.

I felt so drained after it. Luckily I wrote it up in full, sent it to my senior manager, and then had a meeting with him where I spilled everything and he was appalled. Appalled. I'm glad he's on my side but it's still a drain and I had to go have a cry on the ladies loos afterwards. That means three of us in the team have now cried after interactions with this man. It's horrible.

I've been promised stuff will be done but I've made it clear that if it continues I won't be sticking around. But they said they want to do everything to keep me, so I'm hoping it'll never get that far.

Ellabella

« Reply #707 on: February 08, 2018, 20:48:57 PM »
Fran that must be so draining.

Even if everybody else feels the same about your boss, you must dread going into work at the moment.

I think its a good thing you have told senior management and now hopefully something will be done.

At least its nearly the weekend ;)
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Tamnymore

« Reply #708 on: February 08, 2018, 21:38:31 PM »
Sorry you've had to deal with all this, Fran. Very wearing and upsetting. Now you've told senior management hopefully things will improve.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewingsue

« Reply #709 on: February 08, 2018, 22:22:21 PM »
Hope 'senior management' do something rather than just talk about it, Fran. That sounds like a dreadful situation.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Fajita

« Reply #710 on: February 08, 2018, 23:06:22 PM »
((Fran))  :toast: :flower:

PollyWally

« Reply #711 on: February 08, 2018, 23:39:54 PM »
I'm glad you were able to stick up for yourself Fran but it must be horrible working in such an environment. There seems to be an epidemic of awful bosses around at the moment. Perhaps you and your colleagues should give the thumbs up to everything at the next few "health check" meetings. Senior management might actually come and speak to you to find out why things have improved so much. You can point out it is due to bullying from your boss about any negative comments rather than any improvement in morale.

UttaRetch

« Reply #712 on: February 09, 2018, 08:00:17 AM »
I think management is in denial.  It has the power to do something, but has chosen not to do so. How can you be in charge of a company yet not know what is going on down on the 'shop floor'?  If I could get another job, I would walk.
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #713 on: February 09, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
So I had the meeting with senior management, but it's actually the second one.

I do understand that they are trying. In the last meeting I had (about 3 weeks ago) they were very much on the path to trying to encourage this boss to work better with us, repair those bridges, be a better manager. I cannot blame them for taking that approach as a first step.

In the meeting with senior management yesterday I explained that I felt I could no longer work with this person and I alluded to the fact if something wasn't done I'd be looking for a solution to no longer work with this person i.e leaving. I get on really well with this senior manager and he effectively told me that that would never happen as I'm too much of an asset to the company and they would always support and find a way for me to remain (I REALLY like the company, and don't want to leave, I just don't want this thorn in my side. But there are 4,000 other people here for me to work with...)

They also said, which made me quite pleased, that they are now aware that the relationships cannot be mended and going forward it is not going to be possible for me and other team members to work with this man. They said there WILL be big changes in the next few weeks to make that happen. They gave me a few options, one of which is "this manager is no longer part of your team" and a final option being that they rotate us out into different teams but I can tell they don't want to do that (why pluck all the roses out of the garden for the sake of one thorn? Get rid of the thorn!)

Anyway, it was then that they started asking me to log everything big or small. They said there is a "process" which to me sounds like a process to removal... considering they are asking for evidence.

Also, the senior manager was IN the health check (they're not supposed to be, but they are coming along to "witness" our meetings now) and said he thought it was really quite bad behaviour from my manager and I had to inform him that was golden behaviour due to his presence.

UttaRetch

« Reply #714 on: February 09, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »
Fran, I really hope that your company management is sincerely looking for a solution because it is a waste of talent otherwise.  What happened about the cancelled upgrade project?
What goes around comes around.

Sewingsue

« Reply #715 on: February 09, 2018, 10:50:04 AM »
Anyway, it was then that they started asking me to log everything big or small. They said there is a "process" which to me sounds like a process to removal... considering they are asking for evidence.

Also, the senior manager was IN the health check (they're not supposed to be, but they are coming along to "witness" our meetings now) and said he thought it was really quite bad behaviour from my manager and I had to inform him that was golden behaviour due to his presence.
Hopefully if senior manager is going to be at meetings regularly HE will not be able to keep up golden behaviour and will revert.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Francesca

« Reply #716 on: February 09, 2018, 10:59:20 AM »
Fran, I really hope that your company management is sincerely looking for a solution because it is a waste of talent otherwise.  What happened about the cancelled upgrade project?

We are still using it in its unfinished state and I am trying my best to learn all I can from it just by poking around. It's been OK though we can't do everything we want as I just don't have the skills. However the company has recently introduced a new programme where they give us the last Friday of every month to work on a totally independent skill of our choosing, as long as it relates somehow to our personal technical development. So if you don't get to use toolX in your line of work, but it interests you, you can spend the day using any work resource to learn about toolX.

So I spent the last one in January poking around the system and making a small change to it. It worked and I was really pleased and it's given me a little bit of knowledge. It's likely I'll spend the next few of these sessions improving on it so it can finally go somewhere.

Francesca

« Reply #717 on: February 09, 2018, 11:00:51 AM »
Hopefully if senior manager is going to be at meetings regularly HE will not be able to keep up golden behaviour and will revert.

Funnily, he struggled to hold himself in that meeting yesterday. When I met with senior manager, he remarked that he'd noticed a lot in the meeting and it must be really difficult dealing with that all the time. I said "what, when he said X that one time? If you weren't there, he'd have said something like that about ten times more!"

Efemera

« Reply #718 on: February 18, 2018, 13:13:37 PM »
Give me strength!!!.. I’m selling a lot of my stamping stuff on a FB page... why do people say they want stuff and then just bugger off!...and say they want stuff and ‘Oh I don’t have PayPal’.   Drives me nuts!

Ploshkin

« Reply #719 on: February 18, 2018, 13:57:37 PM »
DH  sells a lot of stuff (vehicles, engines and parts etc) on Facebook and e bay.  In the last fortnight at least 3 people who were 'desperate' for something have failed to turn up.  2 others who said they were putting money in the bank straight away never did.
Life's too short for ironing.