The Sewing Place

Can anyone recommend a good pin cushion

BrendaP

Re: Can anyone recommend a good pin cushion
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 11:28:39 AM »
I use pincushions on a lace pillow, but for sewing I use a mini biscuit tin (free offer with biccies some time ago) 8cm diameter, 3cm deep.  I also use berry head pins; can't be doing with the tiny headed ones.

For needles I have a few stuch into a fancy shoe shaped cushion but mostly they live in the packets they came in.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
My floor appears to be my pincushion  :| whilst needles just disappear into the ether  :| My threadcatcher is empty but the rug under the sewing machine table is "interesting"  :|

I found a pin embedded into the sheepskin of my slipper. On the inside sole, that is. Hadn't felt it just saw it!

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
Have you got an old wooden napkin ring Imi ... you could make one with that

Nah! I'm not very good at making things like that and also it needs to have a base so the needles don't push through.

So a shallow Pin cushion with a non-permeable base...

I do like those wooden ones but thinking about it, you wouldn't be able to put the lids on when there were needles in it would you??? So style over substance...

If I could find a small turned wood pot and get someone to make the cushion bit then we would be away...

Hi Ho Silver...Off to the charity we go!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
I just have the boxes the pins come in - tried pin cushions but kept losing them - as it is I'm always losing the box lids. Had a look a that gorgeous site - there are some beautiful object there and I want one of these:https://shopbeyondmeasure.co.uk/product/leather-wrist-ruler/  Totally useless for dressmaking, but really really lovely. Might just have to do it.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 15:00:58 PM »
This is one I made many years ago.  It’s really easy.  The tin is a sweet tin I bought in Devon whilst on holiday.  All you need is a square of fabric, fill it (I kept all my bits of thread and fabric from trimming and used that in this one).  Gather stitch around the square and pull it up, stitch closed and fit into the tin. Simple  8)

Willing but not always able :)

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 16:29:44 PM »
I use the same method with an old china cup and saucer, but I superglue it in place. I also superglue the cup to the saucer and it acts as a tray  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Elnnina

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 17:39:55 PM »
Have you seen the lovely little Mini Tuffett from Lady Sew and Sew in Henley?  They come in a kit, the base is wooden and you can buy little wooden feet as an extra.

I bought one back in September for my sister who was visiting from Canada, she was delighted and on her return home she found time to make this up and used her brand new machine to do this - so a very satisfied person all around.

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 17:46:37 PM »
Beautiful Lilian,
Clever Low
Want it Elnina...

But my what a price!!!

Maybe there#ll be something at The Exeter Spring show which Im now attending on Saturday!!! Woo Hoo!!

anyone else going??? Wanna meet up???

Lilian

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 18:08:48 PM »
Thanks Imi, but I was hoping to inspire you to make one  ;).  Unfortunately I won't be going to the show.  Maybe when I get past beginner stage I may be more interested.  Hope you have a good time though  :toast:
Willing but not always able :)

Roger

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 18:14:32 PM »
Lillian's sweetie tin makes me want to build a magnetic altoids pin tin! :)

I'll have to think on that ;)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Elnnina

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 20:47:09 PM »
Just a thought about the magnetic pin cushions - whilst they are nice and handy at keeping the pins in place, these magnetic pin cushions can do an awful lot of damage if they are used near a computerised sewing machine - in fact any magnet will do damage.

Have fun at the weekend Iminei - do hope you find something nice.  By the way I gather Lady Sew and Sew attend all the big shows, if you are ever up Henley way you should make a point of visiting their warehouse it is huge, and there is a place for having a cup of tea or coffee along with some comfy seats.

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 20:51:29 PM »
and there is a place for having a cup of tea or coffee along with some comfy seats.

OOOh a husband creche!!!

That's such a good idea for Emporias you know....
Midsomer quilters  have one with newspapers and free coffee!

twopence

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 23:09:00 PM »
Not sure that the cafe part of Lady Sew and Sew is really a husband creche but then my OH doesn't mind coming round with me as the mathematical side of quilts appeals to his engineering side.  There are some nice pubs around though and also the River and Rowing Museum which is interesting and of course many boats on the Thames.  Some of the other shops in Henley are good too.  Perhaps your chauffeur would like to come to Henley sometime?

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »
 Perhaps your chauffeur would like to come to Henley sometime?

Way before Mr Im came home I used to live in Marlow and visited Henley often but this was pre-Iminei...
and a fabric shop would have barely registered with me.
Yes I would love to get to LS&S one day, maybe one day!

Marniesews

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 18:12:56 PM »
I just recently switched to a wrist one but the pins go through the other side and scrape on my wrist so I'm going to transfer back to my old one.

Yes, I've been surprised by the number of wrist pincushions I've seen that don't seem to have a pin-proof base! I just got this one as a present and I like the slap band on it too - one size fits all wrists. The pearl-headed pins came with it - I'll never use them though.

The apple was a gift to myself on the occasion of my very first visit to Liberty's in 2014! Why so very long?  -< I'm not a tidy body but I am a bit OCD about the colours in my pincushion and the apple segments are heaven for that. I'm the same with my various pen and coloured pencil tins and cases.

I suffer from lemming pins too so the magnetic one is a great supplement and now essential for my new passion for the extra fine flower-head pins.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.