Lilian

Re: Can anyone recommend a good pin cushion
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 18:17:55 PM »
I do like that pincushion Marnie, it's gorgeous!  :flower: :pin:
Willing but not always able :)

So Chic

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 16:23:09 PM »
SkoutSews - I bet my needlecase is a lot older than yours as mine was made as a wedding gift for my grandma by her young cousin, and my grandma was married in 1899!  All I've renewed is the flannel inset.

I made a pin cushion stuffed with wadding with a small one attached filled with emery powder, which helps to clean the pins and needles.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

SkoutSews

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 16:40:44 PM »
You definitely win that one, So Chic!  Although I have recently had one of those big birthdays, my needlecase only dates back to the late 1960s.

What a lovely thing to have though, a real heirloom.

Snowgoose

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
 8) try a search on Amazon for 'silver pincushion' it will bring up reproductions of the gorgeous Victorian pincushion animals and objects. Very expensive but if you have a birthday coming up, perhaps you could drop hints?  ;). eBay or antique fairs often have them, too.  They really are the prettiest and very special  :)

Gernella

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »
I got one off Amazon, very nice it was but the part you stuff your pins in was a tad too solid for me, so, I had a look on Etsy and found a lovely handmade pin cushion.  It came with about six large fancy pins, which I then used to pin it down to the Amazon one.  Works a treat now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Pins-Pincushions/Button-82319-Cushion-Red-Polka-Dot-319/B004P3SVQI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490269009&sr=8-2&keywords=pin+cushion+sewing

Plus one similar to this:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/515597247/gift-for-mum-mothers-day-tilda-fabric?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=pin%20cushion&ref=sr_gallery_13
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

twopence

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 18:09:06 PM »
When she was six DD1 made me a pincushion at school and have used it as my pincushion since then.  Last year I gave up trying to find a piece that hadn't disintegrated so I made a copy but couldn't use the original one to stuff it as was my original intention so that too is still in me sewing box.

Greybird

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 22:55:45 PM »
I have one I bought years ago at an antique fair. The stall holder made them herself from pieces of vintage fabric, very solid and beautifully trimmed with fringing. It's now worn through to the lining on one side and I have had to turn it over and use the bottom instead. I haven't seen that stallholder for some years so don't think I can get another one.

I remember reading somewhere, that "in days gone by", they used to fill pincushions with dried coffee grounds - might be worth a try?

The problem with magnetic pinholders is that the pins themselves get magnetised in contact with it, and when you try and pick up one pin, you get two or three others stuck to it.

ajuga

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
Interesting thread. I assumed that you would all make your own pin cushions as they are so quick to make. I have one that I made at school that I still use 50 years later (cross stitch) about 5" x 5". I can't be doing with little fiddly ones. I have also made a few patchwork ones recently so that I can leave one next to the ironing board and can always find a pin cushion when I need it.