The Sewing Place

Knitting Machines: So, What have you got...

Lyn-J

Knitting Machines: So, What have you got...
« on: March 16, 2017, 16:42:05 PM »
I have an LK-150
and a Brother 964 with ribber and garter carriage.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: So, What have you got...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 16:52:48 PM »
I have recently bought 2 machines - a Brother 230 chunky with ribber, and a Brother 881 (I think, it's all packed away at the moment) with ribber.  I had both about 25 years ago, but gave them away - what a mistake!!  I just need to find the time in between all the sewing to remember how to use them!

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 17:12:14 PM »
I've got a Brother KH830, and also a colour changer and ribber.

I tried to get it set up once or twice, but could never ever get my head around it. I ended up having private lessons on how to use it and they were great but I still don't feel that confident with it, and don't have the space to have it set up properly so it's gone into the loft! Boyf moans about it but one day when I have a bigger sewing room I will have it set up permanently. It's so hard to use that I need to do it in short stints where I don't get frustrated, but it takes me half an hour to put together!

Lyn-J

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 17:13:32 PM »
I have recently bought 2 machines
Well, I think you should put the kettle on, get the manual out and sit down and have a good read. Then get all set up and get cracking  :)
Strangely, I find the best time to knit is Spring and Summer.

Lyn-J

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 17:23:12 PM »
I've got a Brother KH830, and also a colour changer and ribber.
Just try using the machine by itself to start off with. If you have the lace extensions leave them off for the time being, it will take up half the space. I do sympathise with you having to set it up, I'm very fortunate to have my Brother set up all the time, and the LK150 can be up and running in less than 5 minutes.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 17:24:56 PM »
Oh the other two bits have never come out of the box! It's the main machine I can't figure out!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 19:58:16 PM »
Fran, I'd suggest that you don't even think about doing any fancy stitches until you've done a lot of plain knitting and learnt how to shape necks and armholes.  I think I plunged straight in with the ribber when I first had a machine, as I wanted a finished wearable item, but ribbed hems aren't so fashionable these days so maybe that's not necessary.  Do you know any kids you can knit for?  Small items are (obviously) quicker to do, but involve the same techniques for practice.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 20:04:19 PM »
Well, I think you should put the kettle on, get the manual out and sit down and have a good read. Then get all set up and get cracking  :)
Strangely, I find the best time to knit is Spring and Summer.
The chunky machine is all set up, tested, and new needle/sponge bars installed, yarn ready, just need to decide on the actual garment style - to find a pattern or make it up from the tension swatch.
For the standard machine, I have a pattern ready the Forester jacket by Anne Lavene  - just google it and tell me how mad I am to try that after a break of 25+ years!!

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 15:10:43 PM »
I have a Knitmaster 700 with ribber, colour changer and weaving arm and a Corona Jumbo - all sadly packed away until space becomes available.

Francesca - try and get hold of books by Diane Bennett. She has now retired and I don't think she is selling them anymore, but they are quite often available on Ebay and Amazon. Don't be put off by the dated pictures on the covers. I was lucky enough to be taught by Diane many years ago and she was quite simply the most natural teacher I have ever met.  I remember her first piece of advice was: " If you put your machine away under the bed you will never use it". I agree with the others in that you should put away the ribber and the colour changer until you have got the hang of single bed knitting, and, if you don't already have one, get a charting device (Knitleader, I think for Brother). Finding suitable patterns is a problem and it will allow you to knit any shape you like, in any size you like, in any yarn you like, at any tension you like.

Tiggy

Re: Knitting Machines: So, What have you got...
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 18:47:50 PM »
I have a brother KH836.  I nearly got rid of it, but now I'm glad I didn't.
I did however, get rid of the table, the punch cards and other peripherals.  So cross with myself.

I haven't knitted on it for about 20 years, but I'm starting to feel interested again.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Snowgoose

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »
The chunky machine is all set up, tested, and new needle/sponge bars installed, yarn ready, just need to decide on the actual garment style - to find a pattern or make it up from the tension swatch.
For the standard machine, I have a pattern ready the Forester jacket by Anne Lavene  - just google it and tell me how mad I am to try that after a break of 25+ years!!

How are you getting on with the Brother 230 chunky?  Do you have any links to patterns for it, please?  I have googled but can't seem to find much information or patterns!  Thank you  :flower: