The Sewing Place

Raising your cutting table

Bodgeitandscarper

Raising your cutting table
« on: March 18, 2017, 20:12:44 PM »
I have to cut out on the dining table and got really fed up with an aching back, so looked for a cheap and simple solution.  Table/chair leg raisers were the solution, available from mobility aids type places.  I got mine from ebay, only around £11 if I remember correctly.

Alcea Rosea

Re: Raising your cutting table
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 20:34:33 PM »
I did the same with my cutting table, it has made my poor back so happy!!

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »
Best I can do is take my shoes off.  I use a large desk and it doesn't have that type of leg or those risers would be brilliant.  I've been looking for a suitable cutting out table for a fair while, the Horn one would be great but it's just finding one at the right price and at a time when funds are flexible.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
When our extension is built and I move the kitchen, I'm having an island unit - mainly for cutting out  :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 22:47:02 PM »
That's a brilliant idea.  I'm 6' tall and do have a bad back, by the time I've bent nearly double over my table laying patterns out and cutting out I've got a really bad back (arthritis in my spine). I never thought of doing that, I put a piece of 3/4" MDF on the top of mine to raise it just that little bit but it's not enough.  Excuse me I'm off to ebay to see if I can find a set of those raisers.  Thanks so much for the tip

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:22:30 AM »
Do you think it would work with my dining table ????

Luuurve the thought of an island ....just for cutting out (and basting)

I'd have mine in the Indian ocean please!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:26:44 AM »
Being a short arse, I don't find it's a problem.  Long cutting out sessions crock knees or hip these days, not my back.
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 00:06:06 AM »
I've got IKEA adjustable  legs ( not me literally) on my cutting out table to raise it and on my machine table to lower it. Happy back.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »
I've got IKEA adjustable  legs ( not me literally) on my cutting out table to raise it and on my machine table to lower it. Happy back.

At only 5 ft I'd love adjustable legs!  :P

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 15:26:32 PM »
They look useful, I did think about those too.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 19:48:08 PM »
I have to cut out on the dining table and got really fed up with an aching back, so looked for a cheap and simple solution.  Table/chair leg raisers were the solution

0_0   0_0  Your table legs look as if they are wearing hooves.  Seriously backache is no joke and bending over a too low table has done for my sewing.  :(