The Sewing Place

A Book Thread

Pinkstar

A Book Thread
« on: March 18, 2017, 21:26:44 PM »
I see that we have a film, a rant and a joke thread so I thought I’d start a book thread.

I must admit I haven’t bought a book in years, but I’m an avid reader.
I have a kindle and have only ever downloaded free books, some of my favourite books are

I spy, I saw her Die by Ian C P Irvine
48 hours City of London Thriller by Jackson Bentley
The Penal Colony by Richard Herley
Invasion (Military Action Thriller) by DC Alden
The Child Taker & Slow Burn by Conrad Jones
The Girl in the Box by Robert Crane

Anyone got any books they would recommend?

UttaRetch

Re: A Book Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 21:47:34 PM »
I used to be an avid reader and my bookshelves reflects this.  I have:

all the Jeeves and Wooster books by PG Wodehouse;
several of Christopher Brookmyre's comic crime novels;
several Jasper Fforde's.  It writes about the imagined life of books;
all of Isaac Beshevis Singer.  He wrote about orthodox jewish life in old Eastern Europe.  If you have seen 'Fiddler on the roof', you will have a flavour of his work;
several of Armistead Maupin's 'San Francisco' books;
Some Terry Pratchett;
Douglas Adams's 'Hitchhiker's' books;
Mervyn Peake's 'Gormenghast trilogy';
Some Stephen Fry;
all the 'Harry Potter' books.

I used to read a lot of science fiction and loved Michael Moorcock, Julian May and Stephen Donaldson. 

What goes around comes around.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:49:30 AM »
I find it intensely frustrating that there is so much rubbish around.  I'm sure the people who write it get all their friends and relations to write 5 star reviews. There must be good books out there somewhere.
My favourite books are The Rape of the Fair Country trilogy (it must be time to read those again) and anything  John Steinbeck.
When I have read a really good book I feel quite worn out when I get to the end and don't want to read anything else for several weeks.  I didn't read for months when I finished The Grapes of Wrath.

For a thriller with twists and turns I've found I like Linwood Barclay.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
Is 'chicklit' still a thing?

The biggest thrill for me used to be 'discovering' a writer and finding out there is a big back catalogue.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:40:08 AM »
I used to read at bedtime every night, so I could only read books that weren't too gripping or I'd be reading til 4 in the morning.  I have been known to read a whole book before going to sleep!
Nowadays, it's mainly books on the kindle, the current one being "I got a dog - what was I thinking"... so appropriate.

SingingSinger

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »
I see that we have a film, a rant and a joke thread so I thought I’d start a book thread. I must admit I haven’t bought a book in years, but I’m an avid reader. I have a kindle

Anyone got any books they would recommend?

I've read very few real books since getting my kindle. I've really enjoyed the Jefferson Tate books by Steve Robinson. I also loved the Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Owner of a Bernina 730 Record & a Singer 201K.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »
Nice thread and why not???

I too can only read on my kindle (well iPad) but I used to read real books .... they just make the text so damn small these days .... but read I still do !!!

I adore Stephen King and have everything I can get my hands on (with the exception of the dark tower books...He nearly got me into those when he mixed in a bit of those with the plot of The Talisman...it was a close call but I escaped) and I can read and re read them......

My current number 1 is 11-22-63

Donna Tartt wrote 2 excellent books (imo) The Secret History and the much (much) better The Little Friend

Thomas Harris's Hannibal Lecter books, which ended with (the very strange 4th prequel) Hannibal Rising

Is there a theme developing here do you think?? and what does it say about me ??? :devil:

BTW If Imself comes onto this thread and spouts a lot of guff about his favourite books, don't you believe a word of it ...he never reads anything!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:21:41 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »
What, not even sailing or cycling magazines?  0_0

I had the Rosie project recommended to and there was talk of a film (ugh).  Better read it before it gets spoiled by the scriptwriters.

I can recommend 'The girl on a train', although I didn't read myself, but listened to it as the 'book at bedtime' on Radio4.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »
Not read The Rosie Project but i know what you mean about Films spoiling books...

The film guys did quite a good job with the time travellers wife though but they completely bolloxed up Hannibal... starting with the choice of Starling ( Julianne Moore !! what were they thinking?!) but the ending is so completely different to the book it completely ruins everything!!!!   :angry: stamps feet and starfishes on the floor!!!

And it seems that every time they take a SK book (with a few notable exceptions) they completely ruin that too...
The Running Man was a brilliant read but the film barely resembled it!
I still buy or watch any film or mini series made from a SK tale just to confirm what a mess the screenwriters have made ... and they don't disappoint!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »

I adore Stephen King and have everything I can get my hands on (with the exception of the dark tower books...He nearly got me into those when he mixed in a bit of those with the plot of The Talisman...it was a close call but I escaped) and I can read and re read them......

My current number 1 is 11-22-63

I have 11-22-63 on audiobook, and have played it at least half a dozen times, it's fantastic.  [His best?  May well be]
Currently re-reading many of my aging book collection, as I do in irregular cycles, as I'm trying to resist adding to it for a while, with all the shelves double stacked and over flowing.
I just re-read most of my Sheri Teppers, always fabulous despite the crap names, and I'm actually on 'The Dark Tower' right now, which I like [apart form the ending and the crap childish illustrations]
Not sure what I'll reach for next, I do love long sequences of books, and often go through a set.  Recent faves have been
Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole sequence
Mark Billingham's 'Thorne' books
Robert Crais's Elvis Cole
Greg Rucka's Atticus Kodiak set
Karen Slaughter's 'Grant County' series

That's a lot of books just for that lot!
C'est moi!

Swisslass

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 10:15:31 AM »
I'm in a book club and we are currently reading The Grapes of Wrath, I'm finding it a bit of a slog, it's slow going, I think I read it at school but not much is coming back. We've read The Girl on the Train too which was ok, but it reminded me of One Day; we've read some real poop in book club but being a mixed bunch with several of them having a penchant for chicklit it's never a dull evening. One book that everyone enjoyed was Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - I'd have never have picked this book up through choice but it's a inceptive view of life as an immigrant in the US, I loved this book. The Son by Jo Nesbo is another that got a good report. The Millennium Trilogy is one of my all time favourite books, I couldn't put it down, I read them all back to back.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Lantana

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 10:34:40 AM »
I find it intensely frustrating that there is so much rubbish around.  I'm sure the people who write it get all their friends and relations to write 5 star reviews. There must be good books out there somewhere.

I know exactly what you mean there Plosh. Leaving aside issues of plot construction and characterisation which often leave much to be desired there are the continuity slips!  So many books are in need of a damn good editor. Those that have gone through a publishing house especially so!

When deciding on a book (if I'm buying on line that is) I always look first at the negative reviews as often they point to a book I will in fact really like.  ;)

I too am a fan of Steinbeck. In the same year that the great work of social protest 'Grapes of Wrath' was published so was another one on the same theme 'Christ in Concrete' by Pietro di Donato. The later concerned Italian immigrants working in the construction industry in New York and is every bit as relevant.

And while on the subject of the building trade. I've recently reread Tressells 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist'. Such a shame that he never lived to see it published and to learn how much it influenced people.

Kazuo Ishiguro 'Never Let Me Go' is well worth a read. It's message can be taken on so many levels not just the overt one!

So many good books to read and reread I feel sorry for people that don't like reading novels. It interesting to see how although we all have different tastes so many of us sewists also like reading! :)

:vintage:
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

shadykittykat

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
I love the Phil Rickman series of books featuring Merrily Watkins, slightly supernatural murder mystery plots.

Books that always seem to be close to hand and I can reread:
The Handmaid's Tale
Down and Out in Paris and London
The Diary of a Nobody

I also quite enjoy Kathy Reich's books and for a 'no brains needed' read Janet Evanovich is good.

I've read and re-read my Harry Potter books so often they are coming apart at the seams.

Talking of books made into films and being dire The First Wives Club was possibly only glanced at before the script was written  :[
Kate
Running, sewing, eating.....
Wandering warily in warmest Worcestershire

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 10:38:45 AM »
I could never join a book club for the same reason I could not be persuaded to take A level English-I'm such a dedicated and avid reader, and reading is so private and internalised, I would hate to read someone else's choice or waste time ripping the story apart afterwards.  It feels like performing an autopsy on a loved one!
I don't care what the author intended, I just want a good story [fiction only for this fairy]
C'est moi!

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
The Grapes of Wrath is quite hard going at times Swisslass but what gripped me was the fact that this was actually going on in my own mother's lifetime and was a period in history of which I was totally ignorant.  I hadn't ever appreciated that the poor white people were considered lower than the black people and how appallingly they were treated by the government of the time.  Steinbeck can make me laugh and cry in the turn of a page.  Cannery Row is particularly good for that and is very short.
Life's too short for ironing.