The Sewing Place

A Book Thread

jen

Re: A Book Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2017, 14:31:30 PM »
Thanks for the quantum quotes link Lantana. If BC is oversimplifying but still mystifying me ....... :'(

Ellabella

« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2017, 16:27:29 PM »
Haven't read all this thread, so may be repeating but I started reading Bill Brysons 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' as I thought I would understand it.

His description of the relative sizes of the planet's and the distances in the solar system gave me a headache just trying to comprehend them.  I ploughed on womanfully but was so relieved when one night the dog sneaked into the sitting room and shredded it.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

UttaRetch

« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2017, 16:56:41 PM »
Good  :woof:  0_0
What goes around comes around.

Lantana

« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2017, 22:16:05 PM »
Haven't read all this thread, so may be repeating but I started reading Bill Brysons 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' as I thought I would understand it.

His description of the relative sizes of the planet's and the distances in the solar system gave me a headache just trying to comprehend them.  I ploughed on womanfully but was so relieved when one night the dog sneaked into the sitting room and shredded it.

Ha ha that was me as well (not the dog bit but the understanding) I was reading it up on on deck sailing into Portsmouth from St. Malo beautiful day it was too, when I got to the Quantum bit .... 'ah I thought at last he's bound to have nailed a simple explaination' .... wrong still no wiser but then he said words to the effect that he's need to put it simpler so off he went again. Put book down stared into the blue beyond for ages ... couldn't get it. Oh heck I must be thick thinks I. Turned the page 'nope I still didn't get it either' said he!  0_0  0_0  0_0  0_0  0_0

L :vintage:
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

Ellabella

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2017, 23:44:16 PM »
Oh thank God it's not just me  :P
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

UttaRetch

« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
Printed book sales are up largely driven by children's titles, whilst ebooks sales have actually fallen by 3%.  I have never been interested in electronic books as I like to turn the pages.  :D

Sakar

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »
I just started reading again this year, and I get a lot of inspiration from www.goodreads.com. Anybody also there?

Lowena

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »
Yes me, Sakar...but right now I'm rereading early titles from my Kindle stock.....memory of a goldfish me  :D so they seem like a new book  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sakar

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2017, 13:46:17 PM »
I have also added some books from the last 2 years.

And you can add dates, when you re-read a book :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2017, 17:01:29 PM »
Goodreads often come up in google searches, but I haven't actually read a book pursuant to any of its recommendations. 

Sakar

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2017, 17:50:56 PM »
I have come to goodreads over a friend of mine and she reads really a lot. She has recommended me some books and so it has started for me...  ;)

Efemera

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2017, 18:43:03 PM »
Just discovered Jonathan Kellerman.... anyone else read his stuff?

wrenkins

« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2017, 19:18:01 PM »
I've read loads of his stuff Ef.
I've read a lot of his wife's stuff too. It's a similar idea with an interesting insight (and sometimes funny) into Judaism. She's called Faye Kellerman. Try to read it in the right order if you can because the family relationships will get mixed up otherwise.

Marniesews

« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2017, 19:26:10 PM »
I seem to be back in a reading habit since my dd loaned me The Pink Suit, not something she often does but I've also really enjoyed another from her The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon which I loved for its time setting (60s & 70s), her characters including the children and the psychology at work. The last one shouldn't be a surprise as she trained as a psychologist.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

b15erk

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2017, 11:22:32 AM »
I've just read The Girl on the Train.  Not my usual fare, but I enjoyed it.  It went on several chapters to long though.  ;)

Just re-reading The White Queen, mainly because I have it on the Kindle.  Books are becoming more difficult, from a weight point of view, and the fact that my eyes are not improving with age!

I must buy more Kindle books.  I've just taken a large bag of new and nearly new paperbacks to the charity shop as I'll never read them.  :'(

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.