The Sewing Place

A Book Thread

Lantana

Re: A Book Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 11:14:30 AM »
I could never join a book club for the same reason I could not be persuaded to take A level English-I'm such a dedicated and avid reader, and reading is so private and internalised, I would hate to read someone else's choice or waste time ripping the story apart afterwards.  It feels like performing an autopsy on a loved one!
I don't care what the author intended, I just want a good story [fiction only for this fairy]

The number of times I've read a book and then read the notes and wondered if I'd been reading the same book! Sometimes reading of the authors intentions I realise I must have missed the point altogether. I'd hate to be in a book club and have 'clever' people pull apart or elevate a book I'd felt the complete opposite about! :devil:

L :vintage:
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

Pinkstar

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 14:14:00 PM »
I find it intensely frustrating that there is so much rubbish around.  I'm sure the people who write it get all their friends and relations to write 5 star reviews.

For a thriller with twists and turns I've found I like Linwood Barclay.

I've found it most liberating reading on a Kindle, if I don't like or can't get into a book I just delete it.  Whereas with a physical book I would struggle on to the end and then think why did I bother I've just wasted my time when I could have been reading something I enjoyed.

I've got all the Harry Potter books and the Cursed Child which I really enjoyed.  I know some people didn't like it and some said it wasn't as good as the original H P books, but if you keep in mind you are reading the screenplay which is not as detailed as JK Rowling would make one of her novels it is really enjoyable.

Pinkstar

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 14:17:52 PM »
The number of times I've read a book and then read the notes and wondered if I'd been reading the same book! Sometimes reading of the authors intentions I realise I must have missed the point altogether. I'd hate to be in a book club and have 'clever' people pull apart or elevate a book I'd felt the complete opposite about! :devil:

L :vintage:

Ha me too.  I hate dissecting books it spoils my enjoyment of them.

Right I'm off to amazon to make up a wish list of books that have been recommend by everyone and hopefully some of them will be free yes I'm a skinflint

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 15:19:15 PM »
My degree thesis was on Thomas Hardy and I still enjoy his books,although I don't read much" proper literature" nowadays. I read crime fiction, usually on my Kindle.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 15:36:27 PM »
Talking of books made into films ... The First Wives Club was possibly only glanced at before the script was written  :[

I go into a proper strop when a book I have read and enjoyed is made into a film and the action is transferred to America.  Okay, the 'money' comes from there as we don't have a film industry worth a damn in this country but really, how difficult is it to get on a plane? :devil:

I also don't like messing with the plot, but film makers love a 'happy ending'.  Two of my favourite films, 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' and 'Marnie', are quite different books and I only found this out after having heard dramatisations.
What goes around comes around.

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 15:58:21 PM »
My degree thesis was on Thomas Hardy

So how come you don't visit????

We live in Deepest Darkest Hardy Country!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Marniesews

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 16:37:51 PM »
I had a big Thomas Hardy binge in my thirties then haven't picked him up again since. For most of my life I preferred the classics including the 20th century but now I'm stuck on Scandi noir.

Ironically, despite having more time to read I have erratic reading moods and tend to race through books with less concentration when I'm in the mood (or perhaps it's the type of book which encourages that). As a result I don't seem to hold the plots in my head the same so I can re-read them and still enjoy them, even though I remember the killer before the denouement.

Time to go back to Austin to cleanse the palette perhaps? Persuasion is my absolute favourite and was so long before we started going to Lyme Regis annually.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 16:47:36 PM »
I was recently saying to 'imself that it was somewhere I need to go back to. Haven't been for years. Co-founder incidentally the first holiday  ever had was at Broadchurch West Bay, Bridport, I'd like to revisit there too. At present I'm reading a police procedural set in Somerset. Vera is back tonight.I find that they are a fair representation of the books.

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 16:49:56 PM »
Sorry about the co-founder bit in the last post. It's difficult to type accurately or manoeuvre this silly Kindle Fire, but the computer is dead  :'(

Marniesews

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 17:12:18 PM »
Only taking this a bit further off topic... Lyme is still a delight, West Bay doesn't have its gentility but my DD has insisted we visit each year since Broadchurch.  We nipped out one evening on our own last year and really enjoyed the cafe that juts out on the beach - it was the location for one of the meetings in the current season. She was disappointed not to find any driftwood there last year though.

Bridport has some very good independent shops such as a wonderful greengrocers where we bought purple sweet potatoes. They're impossible to find near us - incredibly good for anti-aging and a staple of a Japanese island with a population numbering many remarkably physically fit and able 90+. Very tasty too, no you lot - the potatoes!  :devil:

I'm pretty sure it was Bridport market where Iminei found the vintage machine last year. For LeilaMay?
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 18:29:00 PM »
Ooh, just remembered, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a good little read and quite unique.  Based on historical fact - the German occupation of the Channel Islands.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 18:53:02 PM »
I have all the Jane Austens (a hangover from the days when a book club was something you joined and received several books a month)  :D.  I have read four of them, but Northanger and Mansfield Park remain unread.

My reading dropped of markedly after I suffered a subretinal neovascular bleed in my left eye.  The 'cold laser' treatment I chose over an injection in the eye (shudder) did not arrest the damage, so I only have one good eye.  The left eye 'ghosts' and concentrated reading is now a bit of a struggle.

SingingSinger

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 19:36:42 PM »
I read several George Eliot novels last year and really enjoyed Middlemarch. Anyone else read it?
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Owner of a Bernina 730 Record & a Singer 201K.

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 19:40:16 PM »
I read 'Middlemarch' years' ago and it's on my bookshelf next to 'Vanity fair'.  Both would be too much for me to re-read these days.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 20:20:25 PM »
Middlemarch - I can't remember if I've read that or not - I feel a Kindle download coming on...

...And it was free :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 20:27:32 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »