The Sewing Place

A Book Thread

UttaRetch

Re: A Book Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 20:34:29 PM »
My Wordsworth classic edition is 781 pages long. 
What goes around comes around.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 20:47:22 PM »
My Wordsworth classic edition is 781 pages long.
-<
That may keep me quiet for a while...

Marniesews

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 21:09:40 PM »
If you really don't relish that many pages, the BBC adaptation  was wonderful. Not the same as reading it (I managed both years ago) but no shame in watching a good drama with an excellent cast list. Patrick Malahide was wonderfully creepy!
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

UttaRetch

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 21:13:55 PM »
Douglas Hodge was so sad as the doctor who married a pretty but silly, vapid creature. 

DementedFairy

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 21:39:14 PM »
Wincing at the very thought of Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, or other 'serious' stuff.  Meh.  Modern rubbish for me!
C'est moi!

Vegegrow

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 21:47:10 PM »
Wincing at the very thought of Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, or other 'serious' stuff.  Meh.  Modern rubbish for me!
Well I've just downloaded a Joe Abercrombie from the library ...Half a king they didn't have the First law ? which I think  you recommended
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

DementedFairy

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 21:52:27 PM »
Half a king is fun, although it's  a'young adult' [never understood the idea of that, by the time Iw as a ayoung adult I read adult books.  In fact, from when i was about 9]
First law is best, if going for audio, get Stephen Pacey reading it.  every voice he does is perfect [to my ears anyway!]
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 22:00:34 PM »
I've just finished "The Book Thief" and enjoyed it. I have a kindle but hardly ever use it now - had one for many years and am going back to "proper" books. Got bothered by the fact that a) You can't flick easily back to a previous page, unless you've previously bookmarked it. b) Can't read it in the sun - pages disappear. c) Battery will go flat at inappropriate times d)Lots of books that I've had on the Kindle have had typos and bits missing.  Apart from that - lovely!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

PollyWally

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 22:51:30 PM »
I have just finished reading "Darling Baby Mine" which is the true story of a son looking for his missing mother. Our local library accepts suggestions for book purchases so after reading a review of this book in the paper I asked the library to purchase it. While I was at the library I also borrowed "Mary Bennet, Pride, Prejudice and the forgotten sister". So far it's quite entertaining, it's a retelling of the story from the point of view of Mary.

I also recently read my way through the Poldark series of books after watching the series on TV and finding the first three books in a charity shop.

Pinkstar

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 23:01:51 PM »
The only 'classic' book I've read since leaving school is Dracula!

Ploshkin

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
The only 'classic' book I've read since leaving school is Dracula!
I read Dracula a short while ago - bit of a slog but I rather enjoyed it.
I've downloaded a compendium of Thomas Hardy as I thought I really ought to read some.  I save them for when I can't sleep as they are guaranteed to make me nod off.  Good stories, but can't get into the style and language.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 08:34:08 AM »
Dracula is a fantastic read.

I can recommend 'On Chesil beach' by Ian McEwan.  It's a short book (166 pages) and has been made into a film, but is in post-production.  Read the book before the film comes out.

The Great Gatsby.  You may think you know it from the film treatments, but the book is so much better.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »
I read all the Thomas Hardy books many years ago.  I always remember 35 years ago, being in hospital about to give birth to my son, and my rather posh obstetrician looking at my book and being obviously surprised that it was "Jude the Obscure".  I suspect most people took easier reading into the maternity ward.

b15erk

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »
Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell, Charles Dickens and Agatha Christie, are the books I read and re-read.  I love Ken Follet, Colin Dexter, Phillipa Gregory and Antonia Fraser are all favourites.

I'm another who shakes a fist at a badly interpreted book, but I've resorted to audiobooks more and more lately, as my eyes struggle to cope.

I've been listening to RD Wingfield (including Frost), on Youtube, and also enjoying the plummy tones of Dorothy L Sayers sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey.

I do often wonder who writes the reviews on the back of so-called best sellers, and are they paid?  Some of the 'best sellers' I've read - usually picked up at airports - are so bad, that I'm tempted to take them back for a refund!!  :angry:
Wonder if anyone has ever done that?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
Is 'chicklit' still a thing?

The biggest thrill for me used to be 'discovering' a writer and finding out there is a big back catalogue.

I found that I was limiting myself too much and trying to save on cash (took ages for some of the Kindle prices to drop) I went onto the Nottinghamshire Net Library and found some great books that I had never even looked at and that lovely word 'back catalogue'.  I've been  doing this since last August and the only time I gone of course was last week when I discovered Joe Nesbo had brought another Harry Hole book.

I like thrillers and mystery.  I didn't read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for years, I thought it was all about sex!  When I  did read it, slow burning at first, I thought it was the best book I had ever read and the trilogy were the first books I have ever read more than once.  They've brought a new one out written by someone else, possibly from Steig Larsson's notes.  I daren't read it in case it is rubbish.

My latest find is  Aarnaldur Indridason a Reykjavik detective, slow at first but good well written stories.