The Sewing Place

Childs Duvet

Iminei

Childs Duvet
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:22:06 AM »
Ok I know a duvet is basically a sewn rectangular envelope but as someone who really can't sew and has never made one before and has quite limited space (I guess I'll be hoovering the dining room floor and moving the furniture again) Can anyone give me a quick and simple guide to making a single duvet from scratch please ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vegegrow

Re: Childs Duvet
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »
http://www.alternative-windows.com/en/bedding/duvet-covers
This seems quite logical tutorial... the only more complicated bit is the fabric quantities section
what are you using to make the covers.... are you using sheets/ sheeting or do you have to join fabrics?
basically your pieces of fabric have to be longer than the finished duvet so you can put a hem on them and sew on some popper tape
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »
Popper tape ???

Was thinking of buttons, but popper tape???

I have the fabric (bought it when Wren was born (oopps smilie))
and the back is extra wide flowery job (but not pink)

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 10:05:31 AM »
Popper tape is the way to go, IMHO.

Buttons mean buttonholes, they take time. Popper tape, a couple of passes each side and the jobs a goodun.

Duvet basics, think simple bag or pillowcase shape a little longer than the duvet with buttons or POPPER TAPE closing the open end.

Extra refinements such as enclosing the seam allowances are up to you.

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:31 AM »
Thx Girls  I plan on French seaming it! (Get me, like I know what Im talking about!!)

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »
Ooooops.....nothing been done about this yet (embarrassed smilie face) but I will folks, I will!

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »
Got very confused about this thinking you were sewing an actual duvet rather than a duvet cover!

I have considered making covers before as I always find nicer prints in fabric than covers, but alas we have a super-king which would mean a join  :'(

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »
Oh, is it just a cover ( like a big pillowcase )? I made one years ago, but they are so cheap to buy that I never bothered again.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »
Extra wide quilt backing fabric is generally 108" / 275cm which should be big enough for even the biggest duvet cover.  Downside is that the fabric does not have the high thread count that decent sheets and duvet covers have and also the patterns are generally quite limited in range.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.