The Sewing Place

Friend has been given an old jones machine

rowe1311

Friend has been given an old jones machine
« on: March 22, 2017, 20:13:35 PM »
A friend of mine has passed on a machine she had sitting in her loft to a new member of our sewing class.  It seems to be working fine but is missing a part to wind the bobbin.  If you look at this picture http://sewingonline.co.uk/library/Brother-vx-710.html, it is this model, but is missing the bit of the bobbin winder on the right, not the bit the bobbin sits into. 

How easy would it be to get a replacement and to fix it?  She has no money as she is an asylum seeker so I am very wary of it costing her anything, but it would also be nice if the machine was able to work properly. 

I also can't work out whether it is a high shank or low shank either.  I have a few spare low shank feet but gave my spare high shank feet as I had no need for them. 

arrow

Re: Friend has been given an old jones machine
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 20:26:17 PM »
You might find something that would work in place of the original part. She will be able to wind the bobbin with out it, but have to stop manually when the bobbin is filled, and not overly filled.

rowe1311

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 20:55:54 PM »
She tried to do this but didn't manage it.  I had kept an old jones manual that might have given her some basic information that might show her how to do it.  Next time I see her I will ask if it is working, but yes I also thought I might be able to make something that would fit it instead. 

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 21:49:11 PM »

I also can't work out whether it is a high shank or low shank either. 

Lower the foot and then measure the distance from the thumb screw to the throat plate.  If it's  half an inch it's a low shank, if it's a bit over an inch it's a high shank.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.