The Sewing Place

Jigsaw Quilts!

Yankee Doodle

Jigsaw Quilts!
« on: March 25, 2017, 16:03:46 PM »
So this is what I'm doing today instead of working on any one of four unfinished real quilts.   But I had to buy this jigsaw puzzle that I just happened to see when I was online looking for quilting fabric, as one does.   The puzzle picture is a representation of the Sisters Outdoor Quilt  show which is in Oregon where I'm from!  I couldn't believe it was there!  And half price, too!   I was so excited!  On the other hand it's one heck of hard puzzle, pieces in shapes you couldn't dream up and if it weren't for the subject matter, I'd have already quit!

YD

Ploshkin

Re: Jigsaw Quilts!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 16:22:22 PM »
I love doing jigsaw puzzles - that one looks challenging and the shapes certainly are weird.  Good luck with it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 17:11:19 PM »
Hope you're successful :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 18:28:25 PM »
we also love jigsaws but limit ourselves to a jigsaw binge over New Year.. we rent a cottage/house/ flat that has a good size dining table and  take at least 3x 1000/ 1500 puzzles which we do over the 4 day break... this may sound mad but we go with 2 friends and 1 of them and DH are early risers ... 5.30/6am...( yes I know ...mad!!!) we go out for the day come home 5ish puzzle then wander off to the pub and back for supper then puzzle again...
we always come home with great intentions of puzzling rather than watching rubbish TV but when you've been busy all day TV is an easy option :[
That looks like an interesting puzzle...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 18:45:41 PM »
What a lovely jigsaw puzzle, I love jigsaws but mostly online now.  I would love to do that one.  Happy puzzling  0_0
Willing but not always able :)

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 18:56:44 PM »
Jigsaws on line?????????

fajita

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 21:38:26 PM »
For online jigsaws try the Magic Puzzle ap.

Lantana

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 23:42:56 PM »
 Oh you couldn't leave that in the shop! I love it! Sunsout do lovely puzzles  :)

Funnily enough I've been sorting my collection of puzzles today, being realistic about which ones I'm likely to do again and sticking 'complete' labels on the ones destined for the charity shop. I was wondering how many of my fellow forumites liked doing them and lo and behold I log on to be greeted by this! Lowena would have a fit if she knew how many house moves some of these puzzles have been following me.

This is a small 500 piece that I made up last year. This hasn't gone to the charity shop just yet.

:vintage:

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 00:59:15 AM »
What am I going to do with you Lantana??  <3
Both my brother, OH's sister and sundry other relatives all live in Norfolk.....be afraid! - be very  afraid  :ninja:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:06:02 AM by Lowena »

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 03:04:16 AM »
Ooooooo another jigsaw puzzle lover here! I used to always have one "on the go" but not so much these days.  Mr.Ruby made me a big metal tray that I could do huge jigsaws on and then push it under the couch when i wasn't working on it. Problem is these days my poor knees don't enjoy being folded on the floor, and the poor old eyes need better lighting than we have...I like to think the light bulbs aren't "up to scratch" these days but I have a sneaking suspicion it just may be old eyes instead ;)
I am remembering, with rather moist, wistful eyes, one jigsaw episode that saw me hunting the cat and his favourite hidey places as I discovered on pulling my tray out from under the couch one day that a good number of my pieces were gone and Mr.Jack ( :'() was busy scarpering off with another piece as I watched!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:07:10 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 11:27:01 AM »
Going to have to look at that jigsaw puzzle app.  Can't quite imagine...

Yes, I had to buy it.  The Sisters Outdoor Quilt show is a very special place for me.  For several years my three sisters and I would rent a house around quilt show time and have an annual reunion.  The mountains in the background of the puzzle scene are called the Three Sisters  and the name of  little western town where the quilts are hung is Sisters.  We had a blast every year.  Good memories.  Now one of my sisters is gone.  It won't ever be the same again  :'( but I'm glad we made those memories  :)

And here's a photo of my quilt hanging at the quilt show!  If you're familiar with Pauline Ineson, this is her Heirloom Quilt pattern, done from her book. 

YD

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:44:03 AM by Yankee Doodle »

fajita

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 19:46:58 PM »
What a lovely quilt.

The Pauline Ineson Heirloom book was my first book purchase after I bought my machine. I intend to have a go one of these days. I think the only  thing I've done from it is a cylinder type pillow, which explored lots of decorative stitches on my machine.

Is your quilt silk?

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 20:39:41 PM »
What a lovely quilt.

The Pauline Ineson Heirloom book was my first book purchase after I bought my machine. I intend to have a go one of these days. I think the only  thing I've done from it is a cylinder type pillow, which explored lots of decorative stitches on my machine.

Is your quilt silk?

Thank you.  Do have a go.   It's time consuming but so satisfying.  I just went slowly and concentrated on one block at a time, not thinking about the enormity of the whole thing and eventually got to the end.  I mostly used cotton, just using silk for some of the decorative bits.   

YD

supergran

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 21:18:13 PM »
YD I am totally in awe of your beautiful quilt. I have the book as well, but all I've done is a couple of cushions from it. I did the centre block for one of them and the circular fancy stitch one for the other. I cannot imagine doing the whole quilt. Respect to you. It's fabulous!!!

Lantana

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 00:25:32 AM »
Yes Lowena I am very afraid ..... so much so in fact I actually sorted some of my fabric out today and have loads to take to the charity shop .... I even put some scraps in the bin and it was very much with your ... ahem  .... encouragment!  :angel:

Yankee Doodly that is a stunning quilt! I'm very impressed! <3 Just been to look up the book and am even more impressed! Wow!

Awwww Rubywishes cats do like puzzle pieces don't they? I don't expecct you were cross with her though. I've ususally got a puzzle on the go and have bought the Gibsons puzzle board so I can do them on my little TV/laptop table of an evening while watching TV.

L :vintage: