The Sewing Place

Using a knit in a pattern designed for a woven.

Mama likes to make

Using a knit in a pattern designed for a woven.
« on: March 29, 2017, 19:37:00 PM »
I bought new pattern at the beginning of the week. Without looking too closely at the back I saw the stretch guide thought it looked good for a knit fabric and started cutting it out. When I was cutting out the neck and arm hole binding pattern pieces I copped they were on the bias and actually only the leggings in the pack are for knits not the tops.

Should I get happy with the general fit by making it up in a woven fabric (just something I have lying around) and then use the end off the roll lovely knit I picked and don't want to waste first? What do others do?
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Francesca

Re: Using a knit in a pattern designed for a woven.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 20:01:30 PM »
I think the usual advice is to size down for knits, but generally it should be fine. Also you will probably want to make a sleeve cap adjustment to reduce any ease because I believe knit sleeves are usually flatter.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 20:08:06 PM »
It is sleeveless but thats a really good tip for future reference thank you very much.

This is it  http://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-pattern-1376-misses-plus-size-jacket-top-dress-leggings/1376.html#sz=30&start=67
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 20:22:46 PM »
Yes, make it a size smaller, and cut the armhole and neck binding pieces in the direction of greatest stretch, which is usually, but not always, widthways
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 20:42:05 PM »
With that top, because it has a fair bit of drape in that front piece I would probably gather it in with clear elastic to add stability to the seam, so that it doesn't stretch out of shape.

Also stay tape in the shoulders is always, in my opinion, a good thing to do with knit tops.