The Sewing Place

Progress Pics of TheSewingPlace MysteryQuiltAlongathoon

Yankee Doodle

Re: Progress Pics of TheSewingPlace MysteryQuiltAlongathoon
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2017, 15:51:32 PM »
Yes, vegegrow, Escape to the Country.  I'd go for the mystery house!  (if I  had a spare £895,000).

Iminei

« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2017, 08:26:29 AM »
Anymore finished Mysteries out there ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »
I've got so much going on right now that I've decided to send mine off to a pro to be quilted.  That'll be a first for me, but if I want it done by Christmas I'm going to have to!  My local quilt shoppe just had their anniversary celebration week and they always display quilts made by their students and customers.  The owners had seen my mystery quilt top and asked if they could display it.  I'm told it was a hit!

I'll post photographs as soon as it's done!

Looking forward to seeing others!

Yankee Doodle

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
My mystery quilt top on display...

Iminei

« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »
Woo Hoo!!! (its my word de  jour!)

Well done YD!

Pearl

« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2017, 10:30:40 AM »
I fell so far behind with the quilt I am making in class that I have reluctantly put my mystery quilt away.  I'm going to send my class quilt away to be quilted so hopefully it won't be long until I can get back to the mystery.

Ploshkin

« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »
Mines on the to do list, hopefully before X...
Life's too short for ironing.

maliw

« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
Mine's a WIP, under a pile of other pieces!!!!!! I WILL get it dine, just when is the problem.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

supergran

« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2017, 20:21:30 PM »
Mine went on hold when I ran out of a fabric, and while I was waiting to get some more I started a storm at sea one. I'm now so hooked on this one that the mystery one is still on the back burner. It's next on the to do list though.

Pearl

« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2017, 21:19:28 PM »
Are you piecing the Storm at Sea, Supergran?  I want to do one but am thinking of doing fpp.

supergran

« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2017, 21:48:24 PM »
I'm doing FPP Pearl and it's working out ok. I got the pattern from Teresa Down Under. It's actually called Christmas Storm At Sea and is quite small but I'm just making more blocks to make it a bed size. It was supposed to be a free download but was redirected to Craftsy and paid the princely sum of 86 centimos. Bargain!  :)

Pearl

« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »
Thanks, SG.  I look forward to seeing it.   ;)

Iminei

« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2017, 08:47:54 AM »
SG ... you are veering dangerously off topic here ...  :devil:

I see two SaS patterns from TDU in Craftsy, which one did you get and what does it contain that the other doesn't and or which would recommend???

Ive been wanting to do a SaS for yonks (as many of you will know) and this seems like too good an opportunity to miss)

supergran

« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2017, 14:13:58 PM »
Ha ha, sorry about that Iminei. I downloaded the Christmas SAS, because I loved the central pattern, and also because whenever I clicked the download link I was taken to that pattern in Craftsy. As far as I can see, the actual construction is the same and there is an instructional video (very short) which tells you how to do the double SAS as well. You can also get colouring sheets in case you want to play around with different colourways and there are illustrations of some different ones.
This is how far I've got so far, lots to do yet.
I'm doing it in sections to avoid wrestling a whole quilt through my quite small machine and it seems to be working ok.

Ploshkin

« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2017, 14:28:54 PM »
Ok boys, I need some thoughts here.

I have joined my mystery quilt blocks.  It's grown on me as I've gone along.  The 2 light coloured fabrics grated to start and I did consider changing them but that's not in the spirit of the mystery quilt is it.  There's nothing wrong with them (the colours were matched with the selvedge dots of the strawberry fabric) it's just that they don't do what they are supposed to in the design but when you're up close that doesn't really matter.

Border:  The only fabric with any significant amount leftover is the strawberry and I can get hold of some more of the green fabric (it's Makower Vintage Journal, still available in some places).  The remainder of the fabrics came from a shop that only stayed open for about 3 months.  I think a wide strawberry border could end up a bit eye squiff inducing so my current thought is (bottom picture) to get some more of the green and do a 1 1/2" strawberry border with a small green flange (I like flanges) and also use the green to bind.  I thought that introducing a bit more of the green might make it seem a bit less 'accidental' in the body of the quilt.

Any views on that plan?
Life's too short for ironing.