The Sewing Place

Vintage 1960s formal!

Francesca

Vintage 1960s formal!
« on: March 01, 2017, 14:03:06 PM »
Just booked tickets for the Goodwood Revival, eek!

I went years ago and wore a 40s style charity shop dress, but this year I want to make something.

Been looking through repro patterns and also those ones on Etsy where you scale up to fit you. There are hundreds of patterns on there and I'm sure I can make one work... I've got until September.

I have 4m of stash fabric that I've never known what to do with. It's a cotton sateen in a white and bright minty green stripe and chevron print. I always got a bit of a 60s vibe from it so I think I will try to use it.

I'm definitely no Twiggy so I was thinking of an early 60s look. Still full skirted and nipped in waist but with less frills and blossoms.

Thinking I can make a matching alice band scarf and some white plastic sunglasses and short gloves!

Only thing I need is shoes... white courts maybe?

I wonder what patterns would work... from this site: Embonpoint Vintage

crgblondie

Re: Vintage 1960s formal!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 20:10:08 PM »
A lot of the full skirted patterns would work the fabric sounds wonderful please post photo when you have finished.

sewing in oz

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 21:37:31 PM »
The dress style you're describing sounds like a kitten heel slingback would really work!

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 23:06:51 PM »
The dress style you're describing sounds like a kitten heel slingback would really work!

Oooh yesss!

I used to have an amazing pair that would be so good.

Wonder if I've still got them.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 16:15:30 PM »
Fran

I'm looking at

No 5 Dixie.  It has the nipped waist, but flows over the 'wide' bits.  ;)
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 17:16:47 PM »
Fran

I'm looking at

No 5 Dixie.  It has the nipped waist, but flows over the 'wide' bits.  ;)

Yummy yummy!

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 17:33:37 PM »
As I remember the early 60s pretty well, I recall lots of white stilettos then too - and our junior school headmaster complaining about the damage to the school hall floor from them!  :angry:
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 17:41:11 PM »
Mr Im and a friend of his went to the GR last year and had a stonking good time...
He asked if I would like to go this year (also if I could make him a country Gent waistcoat)

maybe if the hot flushes that are rendering me practically housebound have finished by then I might chance it!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 21:15:05 PM »
Hot flushes.  All you want to do is lie down in a cool, dark room wearing as little as possible.  Mine have largely subsided, but I still get the occasional rush.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 21:28:11 PM »
Mr Im and a friend of his went to the GR last year and had a stonking good time...
He asked if I would like to go this year (also if I could make him a country Gent waistcoat)

maybe if the hot flushes that are rendering me practically housebound have finished by then I might chance it!

I went many years ago with... a different boyf from the current one!  :ninja:

Much thinner back then too haha!

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 21:31:28 PM »
Hot flushes.  All you want to do is lie down in a cool, dark room wearing as little as possible.  Mine have largely subsided, but I still get the occasional rush.
Doesn't really work in Waitrose though :|
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »

:D :D
 I'm lucky, I never had even 1.
Love the examples, oh, if only I had the legs still to wear them ( where did these tree trunks come from?? )
Fran, I'm sure you could wear anything, you don't look to be unslim to me in your profilr piccy
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 10:25:03 AM »

I am sure they would let you use the cool store room.  :D

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
:D :D
 I'm lucky, I never had even 1.
Love the examples, oh, if only I had the legs still to wear them ( where did these tree trunks come from?? )
Fran, I'm sure you could wear anything, you don't look to be unslim to me in your profilr piccy

Haha thank you but I do wear a RTW size 24!

I am going to try and get a picture of my chevron fabric if I can dig it out of the stash.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
Well you always look elegant to me. Looking forward to seeing what you make.....ahh.....the 60s  :toast:
Triumph of hope over experience :D