The Sewing Place

Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!

LeilaMay

Re: Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2017, 13:07:35 PM »
In the handle section, under the stop motion wheel, there's a washer which has a right right up and a wrong way. It also has a right side OUT - the two little lugs should pint outwards always. But if you took it out, and turned it through 180 degrees and then reassembled, it should work. Arrow is right, having the machine end tilted away from you at this point will enable you to work with the washer without it keep slipping out when you try to put the silver stop motion wheel back in place.

I'm sure we can find a youtube of this if you'd like to see it done before you begin?

As for the burnt thumb, have you considered fitting an LED corn bulb? That should be bright but cold.

best wishes
Leila

Sewsuzie

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2017, 13:29:18 PM »
In the handle section, under the stop motion wheel, there's a washer which has a right right up and a wrong way. It also has a right side OUT - the two little lugs should pint outwards always. But if you took it out, and turned it through 180 degrees and then reassembled, it should work. Arrow is right, having the machine end tilted away from you at this point will enable you to work with the washer without it keep slipping out when you try to put the silver stop motion wheel back in place.

I'm sure we can find a youtube of this if you'd like to see it done before you begin?

As for the burnt thumb, have you considered fitting an LED corn bulb? That should be bright but cold.

best wishes
Leila

Thanks Arrow and LeilaMay, I have done this before, on my 128k handcrank, but so long ago I'd need to refresh my memory before starting. I just don't have the time to tinker with any of them at the moment, so I'll have forgotten it needs doing by the next time I want to use it.
I have thought about replacing the bulb with led and on my featherweights, but again, they only get used occasionally and I need to learn to keep my hands away. I know they get hot, so only myself to blame.
Back on the modern machine and overlocker now, altering sequinned Lycra dancewear. Enjoyed this morning a lot more, doing  :trousers: :trousers: :trousers: :trousers: on the oldie  :).

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

arrow

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2017, 13:31:01 PM »
For some reason I never burned my hands on the Singer lamps, but I know it's possible. To be completely honest I have to admit I burned my hands on a Singer lamp with a large lumpy glass lens; but it was when taking the cover lens on and off, trying to adjust it. These days I have bought LED bulbs from ebay, (B15 sockets need to be searched for). I'm not in a hurry to replace the old bulbs that work, but a pluss with less heat is I can now have the glass lens in place on my 201, it just got too hot with the old type bulb. The open type light have never had any issues with heat on my machines.

I'm impressed with the pile of jeans legs you have sorted out, I usually only do one pair at a time. The 99 is small but rather sturdy. It usualy stitches over the bumps with out fuzz too, there are a few difficult spots, those things you run the belt through, and where the seams join in the crotch; especially before the first seam is in place.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 13:35:24 PM by arrow »

Sewsuzie

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2017, 13:54:15 PM »
I'm impressed with the pile of jeans legs you have sorted out, I usually only do one pair at a time. The 99 is small but rather sturdy. It usualy stitches over the bumps with out fuzz too, there are a few difficult spots, those things you run the belt through, and where the seams join in the crotch; especially before the first seam is in place.

It was only 4 pairs for a customer, looked more impressive than it was. If they were mine, I'd still be wearing them folded up  ;), oh, just looked down and I am wearing an old pair with folded up hems. Tut, tut! Not a good advert for my business! :D
Thanks for the info on led bulbs. Will have a look soon.

b15erk

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2017, 16:15:02 PM »
Suzie, you've just reminded me what a lovely machine the 99k is.  I'll be giving mine an airing very soon!

So many machines, so little time..... ;)

:vintage: :) :vintage:
Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2017, 16:37:38 PM »

So many machines, so little time..... ;)

:vintage: :) :vintage:
Jessie

I know, Jessie  ;). I've started to compile a list of mine with photos and dates, but it's getting to some of them that's the problem........ or is it just owning too many that's the problem?  -<

Sewsuzie

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2017, 13:37:44 PM »
Another neglected beauty from my collection. It's a 66k from 1923 that has been retro fitted into a much newer base and case, with a pale green handcrank.
I guess it was originally a treadle powered machine that has been made portable. I'm intending to fit it into my drawing room treadle cabinet sometime (yes, I've been saying that for ages), to replace the very shabby and slightly broken 27k that's in it now. This 66k is one of the back clamp models, so other machine feet won't fit, unless I convert it to side clamp, but happy to leave it as it is. It has its normal sewing foot and I managed to get a back clamp ruffler attachment very cheap on EBay.
It was also missing the bobbin cover when I got it and the previous owner had attempted a cover out of balsa wood - not at all successfully - so I got it a new one of those too. The one in the photo is new and stainless steel, which looks wrong against the chrome needle plate, so I've managed to get a used one in chrome, which looks a lot better. It sews very nicely, but the handcrank is a bit gratey, like something is very worn, so it will be much better without it and converted back to treadle power.

Acorn

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2017, 13:40:59 PM »
Pretty.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2017, 21:23:26 PM »
I do like those lotus decals particularly. Very nice indeed.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2017, 21:48:04 PM »
the Lotus decals are one of my favourite too... but how many straight stitchers does any single person need?

I saw a trashed treadle on gumtree recently, the wood had gone grey, the laminate separated, the metal rusty, but oh my goodness it had a 66 in it with the most perfect lotus decals I'd ever seen and no rust... couldnt believe it! :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2017, 22:02:06 PM »
Wood on treadles, veneer, finish and everything is usually easily restored compared to the finish on the machine. It is a bit of a project, takes time, but within reach for anyone who wants to. Restoring the wood will likely pay of when the machine is in otherwise good condition.

ScarlettPoppy

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2017, 19:55:43 PM »
Hi, I am new here. I just tried to post a photo of my latest vintage machine but I guess because I am new I cannot post any photo's yet?
But anyway I will tell you about them.
In June I went to a country fair with a Vintage themed tent, I didn't intend to buy anything but I guess you all know how that ends?
DD1 and myself decided we loved the vintage sewing machine, didn't know anything about it and didn't even ask if it worked, we just bought it. Luckily we got a bargain,  clean, working, good decals and accessories and shuttle. I discovered through various online sites that it is a Silberberg badged machine made in Germany in 1907 by Winselmann. We cleaned it up and oiled it, adjusted the tension and it works beautifully.
Then a week or so later we decided we needed another one so we could have one each, as you do, right!
This time we went to our vast antiques centre and spotted a Singer 28k machine under the counter, missing it's tension unit knob! (we didn't know that then) it had a key to it's cover and a bag full of accessories. It was just £25! So we took it home and cleaned it up, oiled it, we found it was the pretty Victorian pattern decals. Then we ordered a tension unit and fitted it in last Sunday and finally she runs like a dream.
Then, I was visiting my friend and noticed she had a vase of flowers ontop of a sewing machine cover! I wouldn't care but I had been visiting her every week for over 30 years and never ever noticed this? She had no key for it so I couldn't look at it. It had never been opened in the 35 years she had been there, and was left by the previous owners.
I looked at the key hole and discovered it was a key shaped, so this week I took my own sewing machine key and my wardrobe key. It opened with the wardrobe key! (good job I read that wardrobe keys sometimes open sewing machine covers).
We discovered a very dusty old German transverse shuttle machine, good decals, but I don't know if it will work yet. I am going to clean and oil it on my next visit. And I will be testing it out too. I am aiming to give it a good home if she doesn't want it (as a table for her flowers!).
I have photo's of all 3 machines to show when I am able to post photographs.
But isn't it brilliant that these machine even though they are over 100 years old, they still work like magic with nice even stitches.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 19:59:01 PM by ScarlettPoppy »

Sewsuzie

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2017, 20:34:02 PM »
Hi ScarlettPoppy, sounds like you've got the bug too. You do know there's no cure, don't you? Just go with the flow and adopt any that come your way.
Your machines sound lovely and I'm looking forward to seeing your pics soon. I have 1 German machine in my collection. It's a Naumann, not sure of age, but guess 1920s. My sister found it in the loft of the old farmhouse she'd bought, while they were renovating, and brought it my way. So far all I've done is dust it, but it would be nice to try get it back into working condition.
This is how it came to me, years of dust at no extra cost.

ScarlettPoppy

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2017, 23:20:02 PM »
Hi SewSuzie, oh I well and truly have the bug as does my daughter too. She had never made anything in her life before, and now she makes layered skirts for her 2 daughters and gorgeous cushion covers with zip fastenings! And I thought I was the crafty one in the family!
Your machine looks very much like the one my friend has, I am desperately trying to find out everything about it.
I am going to try to upload photo's, so fingers crossed. Yay it happened.
This is my friends machine, can you see they have the same decal on the wheel arch thing. So maybe they are by the same maker? Mine has a Harris badge, made for the English market.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 23:24:34 PM by ScarlettPoppy »

ScarlettPoppy

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2017, 23:25:31 PM »
This is my daughter's machine, the Singer 28k, made in 1906, before it had been cleaned and the tension unit replaced. Bought for a mere £25.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 23:35:57 PM by ScarlettPoppy »