The Sewing Place

Recommended brick & mortar shops

So Chic

Re: Recommended brick & mortar shops
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 09:20:33 AM »
Can I add The Haberdashery Shop in Ramsgate, a good place for cheapish fabrics both dressmaking, P & Q, and curtaining and the habby section has one of the best selections I have ever seen.  The  website seems to have been discontinued following their recent move but I was told they do mail order if one phones with requirements.

So Chic
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

fajita

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
Malvern, Worcestershire - Stitch45. Lots and lots of lovely quilting fabrics now closed
Malvern, Worcestershire - Gordon Smith - lots of furnishing fabrics and curtain fittings and haberdashery bits and bobs.

Leicester - Material Magic - great for buying shiny, sparkly stuff, faux fur fabrics, plus other more normal fabrics

Truro, Cornwall - Truro Fabrics - lovely big shop, tons of choice for dressmaking, quilting and household fabrics - but not cheap.

Birmingham - John Lewis Haberdashery, and furnishing fabrics.
Bristol - John Lewis as above.

London - Libertys - lovely building to visit - gorgeous fabrics but oh so pricey.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 14:06:58 PM by fajita »

SingingSinger

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »
Coventry - Tahim Drapers on Foleshill Road (trades online as 'Online Fabric' but bricks and mortar shop has a large selection)

Hinckley - The Sewing Cafe. Gorgeous selection of fabrics.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »
North Kent

Rochester has Hometown in the High Street.  Lots of scrummy patchwork fabrics but full price.   

Other than that there is very little.  :(
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 13:44:14 PM »
I'm sure you Ladies already know this,

but the invaluable and remarkably inexpensive Doughty's have a roadshow that travels the country taking their beautiful batiks, perfect prints, marvellous marbles and wonderful wadding wherever  they go....

Coming to a location near you ???

https://www.doughtysonline.co.uk/RoadShowDiary.pdf
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tamnymore

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 14:10:24 PM »
Ooh no.I didn't know this but nothing near me, alas.... though I'm not short of fabric purchasing options.  :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 14:13:53 PM »
Exeter in April and Truro in July are possibilities...... I love dealing with Doughty's  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 14:42:06 PM »
Gravesend in April - and they have changed the venue.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 15:33:03 PM »
Not much in the York area, only Fletchers Fabrics on Clifton Moor to the north of York.

Harrogatee has The Remnant House.

AnneFrances

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 17:17:20 PM »
Crescent Trading near Spitalfields (E1 -10 - 15 minutes walking from Liverpool St station) http://www.crescenttrading.com/ has lovely woolens and tailoring fabrics. I got really good wool and cashmere mix coating for DH's overcoat and a heavier wool melton for mine there at very reasonable prices. I did also get  nice poplin shirting.  I think it probably helps to go with some idea of what you might be looking for as its almost more of a warehouse than a shop.
Anne

Didi

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 19:25:34 PM »
For anyone going to Abakahn in Mostyn I recommend the afternoon tea ! we are only 10 minutes drive away and used to take mum up there just for that, now it's not so often but still go a few times a year just for the tea - and of course it would be very rude to not look at the fabric wouldn't it

UttaRetch

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 17:48:38 PM »
Crescent Trading near Spitalfields (E1 -10 - 15 minutes walking from Liverpool St station) http://www.crescenttrading.com/

I have been to Crescent on several occasions and as I know the area, prefer Shoreditch High Street station or Whitechapel.  I have never really found what I wanted and much prefer Woolcrest Textiles at the top of Mare Street (open on Sundays also).  Anyone thinking of visiting either business needs to know they are CASH ONLY.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 18:53:29 PM »
In Wakefield we have
 *PJ Textiles/Fabric World just outside the Ridings. Originally started as a market stall in Barnsley and now shops in Wakefield and Barnsley.
I have shopped here for years but about 10 years ago they started selling curtains to order and a lot of the shop space was taken up with samples. Now pleased to say they have stopped that and the shop in now once more crammed to the rafters with fabric, both dressmaking and curtaining.
 *For habby, wool and tapestry stuff we have Habiknit but they only take cash.
 *There is also a quilting and knitting shop on Cross Square called Wool n Stuff. www.woolnstuff.co.uk
 *we have Discount Fabric Warehouse in Kirkgate, again small shop crammed with fabric

And lets not forget The Shuttle in Shipley
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 18:56:08 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 19:30:22 PM »
Very interesting. Dewsbury and Leeds are already on my West Yorkshire fabric trail. Looks like I need to add Wakefield.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

maliw

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 19:39:12 PM »
There's Textile Express in Oswestry, worth a visit if you're in the area.
Didi I know the cafe at Abakhan Mostyn very well but have never had the afternoon tea - I must tell DH, he comes with me because of the cafe. :D
At leisure on the leisure penninsula