The Sewing Place

Knitting and Stitching Show Edinburgh 27th - 30th April 2017

Sewingsue

Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sewingsue

Re: Knitting and Stitching Show Edinburgh 27th - 30th April 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 17:07:09 PM »
K&S have posted on their FaceBook page

'We were delighted with the overwhelmingly positive feedback from visitors to The Knitting & Stitching Show Edinburgh and it was a great pleasure to bring the show to such a receptive audience. While the show attracted 7,000 visitors in both 2016 and 2017, this was unfortunately not enough to make the event commercially viable. It is with a heavy heart that we therefore have to announce the closure of the show from 2018 onwards.  Other craft shows in Scotland are already serving the needs of some enthusiasts and we were forced to conclude that there is currently not enough space for another event. We are very sorry for the disappointment we know this will cause; it has been an absolute pleasure to run The Knitting & Stitching Show in Edinburgh and we do understand that events of this calibre are few and far between.'
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 18:40:47 PM »
I'm sorry to see that the show won't be coming to Edinburgh, but.... I didn't go to the last one because of the expense. Not only were the tickets pricey, but also parking had to be paid for. The total cost was enough to make me think I'd rather spend the money on fabric!

The venues charge a lot for these events and the organisers have to recoup the cost somehow, but it kills the event stone dead when the entrance charges are so high that people are put off going.

Nonetheless it's a shame that it's been cancelled.

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 19:16:18 PM »
I know it wasn't as good as the shows they run in England, but I hoped it would grow over time.
It certainly cost a lot less than travelling to Harrogate.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 19:56:47 PM »
That's a shame. I've always enjoyed K&S in Harrogate but part of that is the visit to Harrogate. It is hugely busy. Pity that the Edinburgh show didn't do better though I guess that some of the problem was the relatively smaller number of stalls there. Ah well, you'll have to have a trip.to Mandors instead, as consolation.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 08:40:54 AM »
Not only were the tickets pricey, but also parking had to be paid for.

Entry price is most of the problem.  The event organisers seemed to have clamped down on discounting and my last two visits to Ally Pally (London) were at full price.  However, this year I managed to find a good discount from the London ticket club.