The Sewing Place

Sandra's Stash Sewalong Entry

Francesca

Sandra's Stash Sewalong Entry
« on: April 07, 2017, 12:30:21 PM »
Number of items to enter: 4

A bit of info:
Checked cotton P.J’s for my daughter: I’ve had this fabric lying around for a couple of years. A very simple make to get started on stash-busting,  with just a single pattern piece. The most time-consuming part was making sure the checks matched up. The waist was supposed to have a drawstring, but I’ve used elastic in these. I finished them off with a small bow stitched at the centre waist to indicate which was the front.

Denim Shirt: Fabric was purchased in August last year. (I’m not sure what I intended to use it for). The pattern has been lying around for longer. I was originally going to make this shirt in a lightweight grey cotton, but I think this denim has worked better for me. I remembered to check the fit, and cut the sleeves a bit wider to accommodate my slightly wider arms. I also added a bit extra to the side seams…just to be on the safe side. Easily found a set of suitable buttons in my button box. The shirt feels very… ‘me’… I can see myself making more of these. Maybe I’ll use that grey cotton fabric after all.

Blue jersey T-shirt: Another fairly simple make using some lovely quality, stretch jersey purchased from Birmingham market a year or so ago. I wear a lot of casual long sleeved t-shirt tops…(I’m all for comfort), and I liked the simple shapes of the tops in this pattern. The pattern is intended for woven fabrics, but I decided to give it a try with my jersey. I cut the sleeves long instead of short, ignored the darts for the bust, and ignored the separate facings for the neckline…I attached binding to my neckline and stitched it with a twin-needle. Easy! I haven’t been sure of the colour…A bit nightwear/pyjamas? (I’m sure my dad had some long johns in this shade of blue.) Nevertheless, it’s a comfy top and it’s already been worn several times.

My ( Daughters) Red Dress: This was intended to be made for my daughter. She chose this pattern from four options and she liked the choice of fabric, but sadly, when it was made up for a fitting, it looked unflattering at the waist.( She looked twice the size she is and who wants that?) ‘Vile’, was the word she used. I made the decision to finish the dress but to make it to fit myself instead.
The fabric is a stretch cotton sateen in a ‘Christmas’ red, and although it didn’t say so in the pattern, the dress is lined, excluding the sleeves.

Number of metres used: 9.7m

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 18:57:50 PM by Francesca »