The Sewing Place

Good Sewing Books

CarolC

Re: Good Sewing Books
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 18:37:35 PM »
Another vote for the 1970s/80s Vogue Sewing book!! The illustrations are hilarious now, but the text is exceptionally useful for just about everything. They also did a good fitting book.

Lyn-J

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 22:09:19 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions I'll make a list of them in the top thread. Soon!

Is the Quilter's Bible any good?
Lynne

Lyn-J

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
There is a question posed at the beginning of The Vogue Sewing Book
what image would you like to convey: elegant sophisticate, sweet romantic, perky gamin, tailored classicist, avant garde dazzler?
Ever since I read this many years ago, I've been trying to work it out, and today I got it!
Muddling Through! -<
Lynne

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 13:41:25 PM »
I wouldn't know perky gamin if I fell over it (are you sure it's not porky gammon?)  I think I'd have to be just about with it
Life's too short for ironing.

Lyn-J

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 13:52:49 PM »
I wouldn't know perky gamin if I fell over it (are you sure it's not porky gammon?)
Ah mystery solved - that had me laughing out loud!
Lynne

Ellabella

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 14:06:52 PM »

Is the Quilter's Bible any good?
[/quote]

I like it, it has clear instructions for all the basics, without a lot of padding.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Marniesews

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 01:45:10 AM »
I wouldn't know perky gamin if I fell over it (are you sure it's not porky gammon?)

I only associate 'gamin' as a description I've seen used for boyish cropped-hair actresses such as Audrey Hepburn and Leslie Caron. Not sure if perky was included but I suppose I see what they mean.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

Didi

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 08:26:47 AM »
I have a lovely book called The Art of Manipulating Fabric which is full of useful and decorative techniques - lots of heirloom stuff, but other really neat stuff as well.

I have that one as well, it may have been recommended by you on the old forum a few years ago, it is a lovely book I also have the Palmer and Pletsch Fit for real people

So Chic

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 16:29:33 PM »
I like the Easy Guide sewing books published by Taunton Press, which means they are quite expensive if ordered direct from them but there seem to be a lot of second-hand copies around on line. 

I have a shelf full of sewing books along with a shelf full of cookery books; I keep thinking I should have a cull of all of them but can't bring myself to dispose of any of them.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP + elderly Singer hiding in loft

elephun

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 20:07:47 PM »
For fitting, I refer to most:
Fast Fit by Sandra Betzina
Fit for Real People by Palmer & Pletsch
Fitting & Pattern Alteration by Liechty et al

For sewing, these have been my best references:
The Complete Book of Sewing (published by DK in 1996) I believe Alison Smith is the author of the current iteration of this book. I can't recall the expert/author associated with my version. At any rate, I believe the versions to be similar. I really like mine.
The Dressmaker's Technique Bible by Lorna Knight
The Sewing Answer Book by Barbara Weiland Talbert
Power Sewing Step-by-Step by Sandra Betzina

These are three older books that I've picked up within the last year that I wish I had when I started sewing. I'm still very glad to have them now:
Reader's Digest that has been mentioned several times already
The Bishop Method of Clothing Construction
Simplicity Sewing Book from 1958

elephun

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 22:43:47 PM »
Others have mentioned a few books that I have in my ISSUU stacks to read that I haven't gotten to yet. I think I want these for my library, but I'm so grateful to be able to look at them first to see if I they will be sensible purchases for me.
Here are links to the free online books on ISSUU for anyone else who is interested:
Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear by Winifred Aldrich
Metric Pattern Cutting for Men's Wear by Winifred Aldrich
Pattern Cutting and Marking Up Volume 1 by Martin Shoben and Janet Ward
Dress Pattern Designing by Natalie Bray
More Dress Pattern Designing by Natalie Bray

There are lots of other titles available, too!

Jo

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 13:12:12 PM »
Thank you so much for posting the link to ISSUU. So many nice books! :)
By the way, I spent some time adding sewing/patternmaking books to a stack. If anyone would like to access it, you can find it here: https://issuu.com/ioanadumitrescu2/stacks/61d1f0082cba43a5af0ac7dda15ed972
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 16:41:34 PM by Jo »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

maliw

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 19:40:23 PM »
I use this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Fabric-Savvy-Resource-Selecting-x/dp/1561586625/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495737487&sr=1-1&keywords=more+fabric+savvy
as much as anything. It's a great reference book if you're not sure how to treat your fabric - needles, sewing foot, tension etc
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 01:00:51 AM »
Others have mentioned a few books that I have in my ISSUU stacks to read that I haven't gotten to yet.
I've got a couple of Natalie Bray's but not these specific ones. Thanks for the links, elephun, I do use Issuu but I don't recall seeing any of these the last time I looked so I'll bookmark them.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

elephun

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 03:06:14 AM »
Thank you so much for posting the link to ISSUU. So many nice books! :)
By the way, I spent some time adding sewing/patternmaking books to a stack. If anyone would like to access it, you can find it here: https://issuu.com/ioanadumitrescu2/stacks/61d1f0082cba43a5af0ac7dda15ed972

Nice idea to share stacks! Here is the link to my library: https://issuu.com/elephun
I made several stacks, but they are all sewing and pattern related, so I might combine them into one stack at some point.