The Sewing Place

Good Sewing Books

CarolC

Re: Good Sewing Books
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 18:37:35 PM »
Another vote for the 1970s/80s Vogue Sewing book!! The illustrations are hilarious now, but the text is exceptionally useful for just about everything. They also did a good fitting book.

Lyn-J

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 22:09:19 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions I'll make a list of them in the top thread. Soon!

Is the Quilter's Bible any good?

Lyn-J

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
There is a question posed at the beginning of The Vogue Sewing Book
what image would you like to convey: elegant sophisticate, sweet romantic, perky gamin, tailored classicist, avant garde dazzler?
Ever since I read this many years ago, I've been trying to work it out, and today I got it!
Muddling Through! -<

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 13:41:25 PM »
I wouldn't know perky gamin if I fell over it (are you sure it's not porky gammon?)  I think I'd have to be just about with it
Life's too short for ironing.

Lyn-J

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 13:52:49 PM »
I wouldn't know perky gamin if I fell over it (are you sure it's not porky gammon?)
Ah mystery solved - that had me laughing out loud!

Ellabella

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 14:06:52 PM »

Is the Quilter's Bible any good?
[/quote]

I like it, it has clear instructions for all the basics, without a lot of padding.

Marniesews

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 01:45:10 AM »
I wouldn't know perky gamin if I fell over it (are you sure it's not porky gammon?)

I only associate 'gamin' as a description I've seen used for boyish cropped-hair actresses such as Audrey Hepburn and Leslie Caron. Not sure if perky was included but I suppose I see what they mean.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Didi

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 08:26:47 AM »
I have a lovely book called The Art of Manipulating Fabric which is full of useful and decorative techniques - lots of heirloom stuff, but other really neat stuff as well.

I have that one as well, it may have been recommended by you on the old forum a few years ago, it is a lovely book I also have the Palmer and Pletsch Fit for real people

So Chic

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 16:29:33 PM »
I like the Easy Guide sewing books published by Taunton Press, which means they are quite expensive if ordered direct from them but there seem to be a lot of second-hand copies around on line. 

I have a shelf full of sewing books along with a shelf full of cookery books; I keep thinking I should have a cull of all of them but can't bring myself to dispose of any of them.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

elephun

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 20:07:47 PM »
For fitting, I refer to most:
Fast Fit by Sandra Betzina
Fit for Real People by Palmer & Pletsch
Fitting & Pattern Alteration by Liechty et al

For sewing, these have been my best references:
The Complete Book of Sewing (published by DK in 1996) I believe Alison Smith is the author of the current iteration of this book. I can't recall the expert/author associated with my version. At any rate, I believe the versions to be similar. I really like mine.
The Dressmaker's Technique Bible by Lorna Knight
The Sewing Answer Book by Barbara Weiland Talbert
Power Sewing Step-by-Step by Sandra Betzina

These are three older books that I've picked up within the last year that I wish I had when I started sewing. I'm still very glad to have them now:
Reader's Digest that has been mentioned several times already
The Bishop Method of Clothing Construction
Simplicity Sewing Book from 1958

elephun

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 22:43:47 PM »
Others have mentioned a few books that I have in my ISSUU stacks to read that I haven't gotten to yet. I think I want these for my library, but I'm so grateful to be able to look at them first to see if I they will be sensible purchases for me.
Here are links to the free online books on ISSUU for anyone else who is interested:
Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear by Winifred Aldrich
Metric Pattern Cutting for Men's Wear by Winifred Aldrich
Pattern Cutting and Marking Up Volume 1 by Martin Shoben and Janet Ward
Dress Pattern Designing by Natalie Bray
More Dress Pattern Designing by Natalie Bray

There are lots of other titles available, too!

Jo

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 13:12:12 PM »
Thank you so much for posting the link to ISSUU. So many nice books! :)
By the way, I spent some time adding sewing/patternmaking books to a stack. If anyone would like to access it, you can find it here: https://issuu.com/ioanadumitrescu2/stacks/61d1f0082cba43a5af0ac7dda15ed972
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 16:41:34 PM by Jo »

maliw

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 19:40:23 PM »
I use this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Fabric-Savvy-Resource-Selecting-x/dp/1561586625/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495737487&sr=1-1&keywords=more+fabric+savvy
as much as anything. It's a great reference book if you're not sure how to treat your fabric - needles, sewing foot, tension etc
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 01:00:51 AM »
Others have mentioned a few books that I have in my ISSUU stacks to read that I haven't gotten to yet.
I've got a couple of Natalie Bray's but not these specific ones. Thanks for the links, elephun, I do use Issuu but I don't recall seeing any of these the last time I looked so I'll bookmark them.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

elephun

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 03:06:14 AM »
Thank you so much for posting the link to ISSUU. So many nice books! :)
By the way, I spent some time adding sewing/patternmaking books to a stack. If anyone would like to access it, you can find it here: https://issuu.com/ioanadumitrescu2/stacks/61d1f0082cba43a5af0ac7dda15ed972

Nice idea to share stacks! Here is the link to my library: https://issuu.com/elephun
I made several stacks, but they are all sewing and pattern related, so I might combine them into one stack at some point.