The Sewing Place

UK Pattern Manufacturers

Tamnymore

Re: UK Pattern Manufacturers
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:36 AM »
I'm sure that what is being said here is correct - the big 4 can charge less because they are big. However we can't get these US patterns anything like as  cheaply in the UK. On the US Vogue site they regularly have $4.99 and $2.99 (for the non Vogues) sales.

You can of course buy these patterns at these prices from the US website but the postage costs are high. That said, it is still a lot cheaper to buy 3 Vogues on offer from the US site than to pay full price in the UK.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 13:41:25 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
There are staid and boring patterns on the Big 4 sites...

Quite a lot of the offerings from small independent companies make me think 'why?', and some never seem to get beyond that first exercise in pattern drafting look.

Agreed- but oh, I do love my Vogue designer patterns!  And Style Arc of course...  At my last inventory, 19% of my patterns are Vogue, and 16% S.S.  I have bought a few more since then though!

As for the 'first exercise in pattern drafting look' I think you're spot on there.  Dull dull dull.  The only perk, as far as I can see, is that they often extend the sizing range.  Way too many skater dresses, 60s shifts, and odd, little girl A line shapes.  Horses for courses of course [and I have a few skater dresses myself, merely copied from one RTW summer dress from a few years ago] but OMG, so dull.  Some of the companies are clever in their 'cutesy' marketing and photos I suppose, but I don't want bread and butter [got plenty] I want more CAKE
C'est moi!

Samantha

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
Some of the companies are clever in their 'cutesy' marketing and photos I suppose, but I don't want bread and butter [got plenty] I want more CAKE

Totally agree - let's see something different!!!

jen

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2017, 16:24:43 PM »
I like Vogue Designer ranges DF. In fact usually the only time I'll buy a pattern fro me is if there's one of those I like.

UttaRetch

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2017, 17:29:22 PM »
... it is still a lot cheaper to buy 3 Vogues on offer from the US site than to pay full price in the UK.

I don't pay full price for Vogue patterns.  I wait for the sales.

... I don't want bread and butter [got plenty] I want more CAKE

Cake patterns is no more.  The creator has gone in a different direction.

DementedFairy

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2017, 21:37:29 PM »
Lol not Cake Patterns.  CAKE!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2017, 22:05:25 PM »
Isn't a cake pattern a recipe?  0_0 0_0

UttaRetch

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2017, 22:06:24 PM »
Lol not Cake Patterns.  CAKE!

I know.  I was just 'funning' with you.

jen

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
If not cake at least a decent sized biscuit 0_0

b15erk

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »
I ordered maternity trousers from MC2 patterns, so I'll report back on how they make up.  Had a reply about a printing problem I had, and it proved good advice (even though Fran had already sorted it for me).

Going for fabric this morning, should be a quick project.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »
I'm sure that what is being said here is correct - the big 4 can charge less because they are big. However we can't get these US patterns anything like as  cheaply in the UK. On the US Vogue site they regularly have $4.99 and $2.99 (for the non Vogues) sales.

You can of course buy these patterns at these prices from the US website but the postage costs are high. That said, it is still a lot cheaper to buy 3 Vogues on offer from the US site than to pay full price in the UK.

Yeah, I am going to the US just after one of their holiday weekends (Labour Day) and apparently it's a prime time for sales. I have bought a second suitcase.

No I'm not joking.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:11:40 PM by Francesca »

Tamnymore

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »
Wow, Fran. Do indeed take a big suitcase!! Be careful about customs though as there will be a limit to the value of goods you can bring back. But I'm sure that you would still be able to get a heck of a lot of patterns and fabric.

Some years ago when I was in Vancouver I managed to join the rather spendidly named 'Fanny's Fabric Club' in the Hudson's Bay Compnany department store which allowed me even more money off the already cheap patterns. They even allowed me to rummage in the pattern drawers. When have you ever been allowed to do that in the UK??

They joined me as a 'senior' even though I was well under the senior category at the time. I didn't care. It just made it all cheaper! My other FFC bargain was lots of cheap, good quality nonroll waistband elastic. My friend coulnldn't understand why I was importing knicker elastic, as she put it, to the UK (though it makes the name of the club even more appropriate ;) ).

I carried my expired FFC card around for years. Hope you have as memorable a fabric, pattern and haberdashery time, Fran!

Francesca

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
Wow, Fran. Do indeed take a big suitcase!! Be careful about customs though as there will be a limit to the value of goods you can bring back. But I'm sure that you would still be able to get a heck of a lot of patterns and fabric.

Some years ago when I was in Vancouver I managed to join the rather spendidly named 'Fanny's Fabric Club' in the Hudson's Bay Compnany department store which allowed me even more money off the already cheap patterns. They even allowed me to rummage in the pattern drawers. When have you ever been allowed to do that in the UK??

They joined me as a 'senior' even though I was well under the senior category at the time. I didn't care. It just made it all cheaper! My other FFC bargain was lots of cheap, good quality nonroll waistband elastic. My friend coulnldn't understand why I was importing knicker elastic, as she put it, to the UK (though it makes the name of the club even more appropriate ;) ).

I carried my expired FFC card around for years. Hope you have as memorable a fabric, pattern and haberdashery time, Fran!

Haha in fairness it'll be for shoes and things too, as well. I have a cabin bag which I usually use for our holidays as we don't usually "check" luggage. However I've bought the matching larger suitcase and we can check two so both will go in and I'll take a rucksack on board. Therefore, one bag for clothes, one bag for a few shoes and SHOPPING.

Also my hotel will accept parcels on my behalf so I am considering buying some stuff beforehand and getting it sent.

Tamnymore

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2017, 12:58:13 PM »
If you do get something sent from the hotel wouldn't that incur customs charges at this end if it is over £15? Suspect it might be better to lug it back in the suitcase!

jen

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2017, 07:22:19 AM »
Mmm I take it you'll be browsing the much more extensive ranges of lycra fabrics and silk jerseys Fran? Make sure that suitcase is pretty big. Take the patterns out of the envelopes and mess them up a bit, and cut or scrumple your fabric - second hand then 0_0