The Sewing Place

seam allowance and thickness of binding

duffle

seam allowance and thickness of binding
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
hey
I have a question on binding, to attach my binding I need to use a 1/2 inch seam to "hide" all my many many mistakes (mainly I never squared the quilt when I finished piecing it and then never made allowance for that when I quilted it and now I don't want to cut through all my quilting lines - is there a head banging emoji??)

So anyway I have some jelly roll left over and I was thinking of doubling up and making 5" strips and binding that way. I don't particularly like thick binding but I can't think of another solution. I can't cut the quilting lines they would unravel - right? what would look best?

datcat23

Re: seam allowance and thickness of binding
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »
As far as I am aware, you square up after you quilt, as the quilting itself can distort the fabric.  The quilting doesn't unravel unless you leave a cut edge for a longer period of time, or handle it a lot.  If you want, you could square up the quilt, and then go all around the outside edge with a straight stitch, just to anchor the edges together before attaching the binding.  Then, bind with a 2.5in wide strip, folded in half, with a 1/4in seam. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 13:05:31 PM »
DC is right...square up when quilted ...I cut my bindings at 2inches..I like a slightly narrower finish.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 14:03:31 PM »
Yep.... piece, sandwich,quilt, square, bind. I do 2.5" strips folded in half and have, on occasion done 3" strips if I want a border / binding at the back. I machine the front ( 1/4" seam ) and hand sew the back.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

duffle

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 16:58:51 PM »
thanks Datcat and everyone :) I'll sew around the quilt and then bind it, ok cool off I go so :)   

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 17:01:38 PM »
If you want ½ inch seam allowances on your binding instead of ¼ inch that's fine, there are no quilt police, but you don't need to increase the width of the binding to 5 inches.

With ¼ inch seam allowances and doubled fabric 2 inches is wide enough for a firm binding.
With ½ inch seam allowances 3½ inches wide is enough.

If you like your binding a bit looser and use 2½ inch strips with ¼ inch seam allowance then go up to 4 inches wide for ½ inch seam allowances but no wider.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:24:25 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 08:20:55 AM »
Brenda is the Magician of Maths so go with what she says. ...

But the QP don't have your address (yet!) so do what you wish!

I usually use a 2 1/2" strip folded over...but sometimes, if I want a slightly thicker 'frame' for my creation, will machine stitch it to the back, turning over to the front or,

on  the last quilt I finished...The Mystery quilt... I cut a 4" binding, sewn to the back and turned over to the front to make an extra wide binding border!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:40:55 AM »
I use 2.5" strips if I have any surplus jelly roll bits.......it saves cutting  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

duffle

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 22:32:49 PM »
Thanks ladies :) BrendaP I just saw the scanned picture, thank you for going to the trouble of putting it up, it's seriously great :)