The Sewing Place

Moto Jacket

charlotte

Re: Moto Jacket
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 16:46:45 PM »
It's all coming together. I've put the facing in, which was a bit of a struggle with all the layers, But a lot of pressing later I've just the sleeves and the side seams left to do really (and hemming of course)...

Getting more annoyed with my very poor pattern placements (not sure how I got this so wrong when I really tried to think about it) and now my zip has different amounts of tape showing on each side. Boyfriend thinks noone will notice but I WILL KNOW... Anyway, those issues aside it's all good.

There's quite a lot of weight on the jacket, with the zips and pockets and everything, so I'm considering a chain weight at the hem, Chanel style. Any opinions on this?

charlotte

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 23:22:59 PM »
FINISHED!

Inside view for fellow seam geeks:

Invisible zip Oyster card pocket in the sleeve:

Francesca

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 23:27:19 PM »
It look absolutely beautiful!

I love the moto jacket style, I have one of my own and it's such an easy thing to wear. I love this version!

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 23:36:46 PM »
Gorgeous! Lovely piece of work!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

PollyWally

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 01:50:55 AM »
Looks great and beautifully finished.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 03:17:07 AM »
Your jacket looks fab! This has been on my list of things to make for some time!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Sewingsue

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 07:32:52 AM »
Oh, gorgeous.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 07:36:08 AM »
What a fabulous jacket, well done.  If it was winter I would be inspired to get out the Ziggy pattern that is lurking in the cupboard.
Life's too short for ironing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »
very glam- love that sleeve pocket, what a great idea
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
Fantastic. Super choice of fabric. What a great jacket and such a clever idea to do the Oyster card pocket. I think I might do one of those pockets for my senior railcard.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »
I am seriously impressed.  Well done, Charlotte.

Ploshkin

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »
BTW - whatever you think you got wrong with the pattern placement really doesn't show at all.  It's quite a busy pattern and even if I looked at it for the next hour I wouldn't notice anything amiss.
Life's too short for ironing.

charlotte

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »
Thanks for all the compliments.  :)

Glad to hear that the glaring pattern repeats are not as obvious as I think - I'm always my own worst critic!

One little fix that might be worth a mention: I was struggling to get the lapels to lie nicely when it's half unzipped, due the their thickness, so I added some bag clasp magnets in the corner of the facings (between the front and facing layers) and then the inside of the jacket (one hidden by the facing, the other in the little square of self fabric you can see to the right of the inside view picture). They work really well at just gently encouraging them to fall in the right place.

Right, now onto my peacock dress...

Fiona M

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »
That's a gorgeous jacket, and the Oyster pocket in the sleeve is pure genius!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 18:48:31 PM »
That is just amazing.

Something to inspire me along my sewing journey.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.