The Sewing Place

Not Sewing but the other favourite -Handbags

Gernella

Not Sewing but the other favourite -Handbags
« on: April 15, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
Last year I bought a Modalu cross over leather bag, which I love, but it was a brick red and for summer I wanted something a lighter colour and crossover again, great for supermarkets and also having your hands free when out and about.  The last one was around £60, reduced because probably an old line.  Anyway I was trawling on line, found what I wanted but the price was above what I really wanted to pay.  I finished up on John Lewis, again supposedly reduced but again above what I wanted to pay.  I did another trawl and came upon this site:

https://www.runwayaccessories.co.uk

I found what I wanted  nearly £70 cheaper and I even bought another one.  I felt like a kid in a sweetshop.  I wish I had found them before.  They only sell four brands but fortunately a brand I like. <3 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewmuchmore

Re: Not Sewing but the other favourite -Handbags
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 15:49:36 PM »
Not very often i use a handbag these days but this has reminded me i have a box full of Radley bags in the loft, really must get round to getting them on ebay.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 19:37:00 PM »
I love handbags ( and shoes ) but have to be very firm with myself otherwise I keep using the same one and the rest languish in the wardrobe  :| I have a lovely bright pink one and a bright orange one too........unfortunately they have both outlasted their partner shoes  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 08:32:19 AM »
 I did another trawl and came upon this site:

https://www.runwayaccessories.co.uk

[/quote]

:angry: That site wouldn't let me dismiss the sign up block, so I gave it a long deleted email address.  Did the same with a software site that kept sending me reminders to log in or create an account.  Try contacting me using that.  :devil:

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »
Right now I am trying to justify buying my first Radley bag (half price in the sale, but still three figures!) so the idea of having a box of 'good' bags that you don't use is a bit confusing.

Interesting how we have different things we are willing to spend more on.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
...  the idea of having a box of 'good' bags that you don't use is a bit confusing.

I have a small collection of bags I no longer use.  These include two vintage 'snap clasp' that are far too small for modern use, and a beautiful

'sweetie wrapper' bag bought to attend a wedding.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
I like Fossil Keyper bags.. I have 2, a winter and summer but I could do with another one except they don't make them anymore. :'(

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 14:50:29 PM »
Right now I am trying to justify buying my first Radley bag (half price in the sale, but still three figures!) so the idea of having a box of 'good' bags that you don't use is a bit confusing.

Interesting how we have different things we are willing to spend more on.

They are from the days i had to be suited and booted for work but I am now lucky enough not to have to work and not sure "posh handbags" really work when either tramping over fields with dogs, down on the allotment or sailing. I do have a tiny Radley bag that just about holds my keys, roll of poo bags and some money and that all I need these days.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 11:40:05 AM »
I find it very strange when I see someone without a handbag about and about.  I mean, where would you put the:

spare contact lens case, allergy tablets, purse (large) credit card case, tissues, sun glasses, cough lozenges, reading glasses, old receipts, notebook, pen, front door keys, fold up bag, old credit card (that I cancelled because I lost hence the new credit  card case, I knew I had it somewhere).  And that's  just the mean and lean cross over  bag.

I've also bought some on Ebay, hardly used and like new, so Sewmuchmore had better get her Radleys out of the attic and get some fabric funds.   

I did buy a large Smith & Canova leather bag that I found too heavy to use, but it is always very useful when I go to a committee meeting to carry the wine in for afters.

I would like to get hold of a really expensive one, just to see if they are made any different to the lower priced leather ones.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
I never used a handbag for years, all the time I had dependant children. I couldn't manage a bag and the kids  :D I stuffed my purse and keys in my coat pocket and that was enough for me...........oh, the good old days  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 13:30:53 PM »
I find it very strange when I see someone without a handbag about and about.

I have a padded jacket with two big outside pockets and a hidden inside one.  The very least I can get away with carrying is house keys and mobile phone, but that is only if I am going for a walk.  I often see teenage girls with only a mobile and Oyster card wallet and assume that keys are in the pocket of their tracksuit bottom.

shadykittykat

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 13:37:32 PM »
I can't stand my pockets stuffed with stuff, so always have a bag. I'm never without keys, purse, phone, lip balm, tissues, hand cream, mints. My bigger bag also takes my organiser and a lunch box  :)
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
Well the bags have arrived and they are both lovely and exactly as described, complete with tags with their recommended price on.  The seller is actually the company that 'makes' the bags, which makes you wonder why they are discounting so much when they are also selling to bricks and mortar stores. 

It also makes you wonder exactly how much the people who made them get, peanuts probably.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »
I like bags too, but don't tend to have more than one on the go at a time. I've yet to find "the" perfect one - some are too large and can't find anything in the bottom of the cavern. Some are just a smudge too small to do up once my wallet is in. I have often thought it would be sensible if bags lit up when opened - make find stuff easier. Any bags I make for myself aways have  a pale lining - that does help a bit.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »
I have capacious bag that is now falling to bits - I kick myself for passing up the opportunity to get the exact bag, but in leather - into which I can fit a folded 'bag for life' and a hessian wine carrier.  I keep essentials in a zip top bag like this