The Sewing Place

Oops, I did it again!

Lantana

Re: Oops, I did it again!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 17:07:01 PM »
I will try the felt making - Gillian Gladrags has some gorgeous supplies and kits but the website is difficult to look at, too 'jazzy' for me.  The kit I have came a very long time ago from the Wool Marketing Board!  I'd love to try dyeing wool for felt with natural dyes, too  :) if I ever have the time - too many crafts, not enough time!  8)

I have 'eyes bigger than tummy' when it comes to crafts as well. I got my first felting supplies from a stall on Machynlleth market a few years back but didn't get around to using it until about 9 months ago. The few extra bits I got from Gillian Gladrags but I do agree with you about her kits. You know where I got the extra wool from .... at least it was 'buy it know'! :)

Hope your new machine arrives soon!

L :vintage:

Cheesecake

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »
Hope it arrives quickly and you enjoy having it.  I'm still hoping to get one of these eventually so your story is giving me hope I might get lucky and come across one without upping my budget.

Snowgoose

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 00:12:03 AM »
Hope it arrives quickly and you enjoy having it.  I'm still hoping to get one of these eventually so your story is giving me hope I might get lucky and come across one without upping my budget.

It's on the way, posted today  :)

I'm sure that you will find one, it was a pure lucky accident that I stumbled across mine!  Now the search will begin for accessories like the needle wrench but hopefully, I can manage without.  Good luck and fingers crossed for you in your quest  :)

Snowgoose

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 14:47:30 PM »
She's here  :) The seller had packed her very, very well and she survived her journey beautifully!

The machine is so much heavier and solid than I had thought, it's such a work of art  :). As I expected, no tools or cover, just the bare machine.  She looks as if she has been stored in a barn for the last fifty years - she is literally crusted in dust and grime but, underneath it all there is a gorgeous machine waiting to emerge  :)

The needle goes up and down but the presser foot is jammed solid - someone has obviously tinkered though, as the screw heads are scratched, and the rod which raises and lowers has a slightly polished look at the bottom.

I'm not going to rush this, I'll get hold of the manual and google as much as I can before I tackle this.  I don't really want to use WD40 and I'm hoping liberal amounts of sewing machine oil left to soak in will begin to loosen seized parts.

I am so, so happy with my new 'toy', it will be a joy to bring her back to life and back into sewing again - she looks to have had a lot of use - I just hope that I can succeed  :[