The Sewing Place

Starting new set of dresses.

Catllar

Starting new set of dresses.
« on: April 16, 2017, 14:16:51 PM »
Suffice to say I have 3 girls who are about 82-85 bust, one at 90, me at 95, one at 120  and one who is 136.  Heights very from  150 to 200.

How to make something that fits with the choreographer's idea but looks good on all these shapes? Not judging -just a bit scared! ( Oh and  they are all in lycra!) I may be gone some time! :gin:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

Re: Starting new set of dresses.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 14:21:12 PM »
duvet covers with neck holes in?
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 15:37:57 PM »
 0_0 Bad Fairy, you're not helping.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 15:42:36 PM »
I think my 'duvet covers with holes in' collection has a LOT of mileage... :devil: :loveit:
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 23:04:34 PM »
No, no DF I can see where  you are coming from on this one - defy worth thinking about! Just off to have another brandy! Helps the pinking throcess!!! :gin: :gin: :S

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 23:11:49 PM »
So I've made  the skirts - or rather 6 skirts and one small marquee! Made one top completely for me - rather a lot of cleavage on show but it will draw attention from the flailing feet!

Had a fitting day today with  3 classes of kids , small people,  medium sized one, and teenagers and then my group. Have had just a couple of alterations, so not a bad job I'm thinking. Happy with me.  0_0Time for gin!  :gin:cheers.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 23:17:21 PM »
Next time we decide to have 60 bloody centimetre long fringe on dresses please pass me the gun. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 18:55:17 PM »
Oh how I am fed up with this all this year!

Fine tuned 14 dresses this week, - the fringe, the fringe......!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: plus the ones for our group  7 skirts and 7 tops ( including the marquee)

Got just 36 more dresses to fine tune on Monday - not many if you say it quick! Should all be over by the end of next week!  Gin in the chiller!

sewing in oz

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 00:27:54 AM »
Catllar your post is very timely indeed.  Should I pass you the gun after I've used it?  I need to make a batch of flapper-style dresses using layers of 30cm fringe with the bottom row made of 60cm fringe...  what has been the problem you encountered so I can try to steer around it?  (Or talk them out of using fringe, but honestly no chance of that.)

Here's some gin to help you think.  :gin:
Also wine  :toast:

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 13:11:58 PM »
Thanks for the gin!  Dresses almost done. Problems with sewing fringe:

It is like sewing a bag of octopuses - it slips around and wants to get under the needle and stitched into the base. First row isn't too bad but then it just gets worse. Also the mere fact of the angle you are at whilst sewing it on means its a constant fight to keep thready bits under control and out the way. Gravity plays huge part here! and the longer the fringe the more it plays!!

Fringe - 60cm is very heavy. It will remove any stretch from your base dress so needs to be pinned on whilst worn - problem - it is slippy and heavy. I got round this by stretching the bases out over the ironing board.

My best advice? If you can't talk them out of fringe - and I hope it's a bit cheaper in your than it is here then if you can get hold of fringe that has a stabilised edge that you cut off once it's in place,  this will reduce the  problems as will elasticated fringe. My dresses have a white skirt so the longest fringe only shows when they move ( begs the question - why use it on a stage - too far away to see, but do they ever listen to me? Guess!)

For some real great fringe movement ( why does that read as really weird??) have a look at Sara Baras - scroll down to the 4th photo:http://www.dance-enthusiast.com/features/view/Sara-Baras-Generations-Gypsy-Flamenco.  This is what our choreographer wanted  but as we don't have the funds to pay for the heavy silk dense fringe used here that went out the window .
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 13:14:04 PM by Catllar »

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
Mojo gone - totally disappeared with 2 more costume sets to do. I am making the one for our largest girl and have to draft from scratch and am cutting from odds and ends of fabric as I'm fast running out. ( After that's finished I have another skirt and one more top) I am going slower and slower - you'd think it'd be the opposite, but no - so hard to motivate myself now - I'm prevaricating again! -<

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 13:00:52 PM »
No more Gin Cat!  Pull up your big girl pants and get to it!   We need more pics of your fab frox :)

Mojo? Who needs mojo when you have us!  :flower:

Off you go, chop chop!

:thread: :sew: :pin: :snip:
Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 13:03:19 PM »
Gin? Me? how very dare you J.  Ok, Ok I'm on it already!  Come on Jan, you can do this!

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 23:16:36 PM »
Done  the big girl one and fitted perfectly!  So so so nearly all finished. :vintage:
Thanks for kick!

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 23:57:32 PM »
Good work Catlar  :angel:  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)