The Sewing Place

Janome New Home siezed completely

HenriettaMaria

Janome New Home siezed completely
« on: April 16, 2017, 15:22:13 PM »
I was in Scotland visiting DM while DH & DS were off skiing last week.  Visited auntie, who pointed out a SM in the bottom of the wardrobe and asked if I was interested.  In fact, as I was relieving DM of her Singer 522 as her scoliosis means she can't lift it any more, I wasn't but thought the little New Home might be worth looking at as a replacement.  Its layout and functionality is identical to that offered by the machine currently offered by John Lewis for £99, which given it was originally purchased as a gift for Aunty #2, who died in 1988, just goes to show that some designs keep on going!  It must be at least 35 years old in that case.  DM & auntie assure me both DM's and this machine were serviced not more than 10 years ago.

So we got it onto the kitchen table to have a look at it.  The presser foot was down with a sample piece of calico under it (zig zag & buttonhole tests, I'd expect).  I could not get the foot up.  There was a bit of play on the lever but nothing moved.  So I tried the hand wheel.  No movement of the needle either.

Next I read the manual (such as it is) and took off the top and right side panels.  The left side panel swings out on an hinge.  I then oiled the movable parts and gave it five mins.  I checked the inner wheel and verified that it turns in both directions as you would expect for bobbin winding.  The drive belt move but nothing shifts. 

I plugged in the power and it lit up.  The motor responded but it couldn't move anything either.

The problem for 80-something ladies with no car is that they live at the extreme east end of Dundee and the nearest servicer, according to the lady who takes in alterations locally, is in Kirkcaldy.  So there's no chance of their getting it into the workshop.  I also suspect that, given a new machine of the same spec can be had for under £100, the engineer may very well declare it a write-off.  So, my question is, is it a dead duck?  Or does anyone have any tips that might solve things?

Holly Berry

Re: Janome New Home siezed completely
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 16:52:39 PM »
If it's not computerised, I know it's a no no with lots of restorers of sewing machines, but I have used WD40 before on a seized up overlocker. If it's not been used for a long time the oil can go solid with the lint and dust.

When I used it on the overlocker, I sprayed as many of the moving parts I could and left it overnight. The next day it worked and the seized parts were free. Then I liberally oiled and then ran it for about a minute. Make sure you don't spray the motor.

It's worth a go, if you think they may otherwise be terminal.
Procrastination get behind me

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 20:10:30 PM »
It is definitely not computerised - it has dials for fixed stitch selection and a variable stitch length wheel.  Inside the top of the machine are discs that are all on the same spindle but have slightly different profiles around their perimeters.  Then there is a 'pointer' which, presumably, moves with the stitch selection dial and transmits the ups and downs of the profile to the needle positioner, thus giving the different stitches.

I'll suggest WD40, but that might require an expedition in itself!

Thank you

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 20:43:37 PM »
If it,s an old New Home it is probably worth getting sorted out.  Yes you can pick up a machine for £99 but it won't be anything like this one.  They are really only suitable for occasional use or light to medium weight fabric.  If the machine has been sat around for a long time, it probably needs a bit of TLC and greasing up properly. This should be done by a reputable service engineer.
It might be worth trying to phone round some local service places to see if they would pick the machine up for a small fee. 

arrow

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 21:12:43 PM »
It might help us with more detail on the model. It's not uncommon for machines to be frozen up when taken out of storage, but they usually come around. Place it on a table in a heated room, detect all oil points, lids, covers, faceplate, oobbin and needle plate etc needs to come off. Take out bobbin case, check for thread mess, pin or part of a broken needle down there. Check for thread mess in hand wheel (some models easily get's thread in there if a bobbin is left in the winder). If it's a good machine and it's not completely run down it's always worth having it in for service, even if it costs a bit. Don't give up on the first attempt, leave it on the table and go through all check points a couple of times and I'm sure it will loosen up.

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 21:26:17 PM »
Good to see you've found us arrow. The vintage section wouldn't be the same without your expertise.
Procrastination get behind me