The Sewing Place

Sewing newbie

Merfreak

Sewing newbie
« on: April 19, 2017, 21:46:44 PM »
Hi all! As the title says I'm new to sewing, I have yet to buy my first machine, but I'm very eager to learn and let out my creativity.  :D

Even though I'm in my mid 20s I just recently got into fashion and would love to be able to make my own clothes some day (not every single piece but a couple of tops, pants, skirts and dresses would be awesome... I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, oops  :D).

I look forward to exploring this forum and learning something new. Thanks for having me.  :)

Lilian

Re: Sewing newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 22:42:15 PM »
Hi Merfreak and welcome  :D  I'm sure you will get all the help and advise you need.  Explore and find your niche  :D
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 23:38:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum :D and keep us updated on your progress.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:38:26 AM »
I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, oops  :D).

Not at all- get that machine [a very basic one is fine, I have never had a fancy machine, make ALL my clothes [apart from bras cos I can't be bothered] and have never had a lesson in my life.  Buy a pattern, follow the instructions, ask advice here when you're stuck.  Couldn't be simpler!

Forget all that nonsense about starting with aprons/pillowcases etc, make something interesting- you'll learn more, and faster!
C'est moi!

Merfreak

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:53:47 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.  :D Thank you for your advice DementedFairy; this forum is pretty amazing, can't wait to get started. :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:14:39 AM »
Hi and welcome.

I echo what DementedFairy has said and suggest you start with something you can wear - a simple A-line skirt or little top - that will introduce you to the basics of sewing.  As far a patterns are concered, it is important to know that sizing differs from ready to wear so you need to go by three basic measures: bust/waist/hips.  Unless you are very lucky, you won't find an exact match and picking the measurements nearest to your own is the starting point.

Do you already have a sewing machine?  If not, we can offer some advice according to budget.  I have chucked in my tuppence worth on your separate thread.  0_0

Edited to update.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:44:54 AM by UttaRetch »

Merfreak

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 18:43:28 PM »
Thank you for your input. :-D Honestly circle skirts seem the easiest, I feel like tops and A-line skirts would be more challenging.

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 18:58:51 PM »
Have you heard of bias??
Lots of it in a circle skirt.  Lots.
And the hem can be a beast unless you like hand sewing.  Lots.

Seriously, UR's suggestions are good.  Or loose fitting summer trousers, quick and easy. [Well-fitting is much harder to achieve!]
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 20:15:11 PM »
Honestly circle skirts seem the easiest, I feel like tops and A-line skirts would be more challenging.

A circle skirt does involve a lot of fabric and a tedious amount of hemming if you decide to hand sew BUT you can actually make one WITHOUT a pattern.  There are tutorials on how to do this based on your waist radius. 

Merfreak

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 22:35:17 PM »
Well that's true though I wouldn't be hand sewing it, that would take forever to look nice. I did make a hand sewn rectangular skirt for Halloween but it was only for Halloween :D Took me a few days too but it was kind of like meditation. :)

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 23:17:45 PM »
Meditation is fine and well and good, but instant gratification is far better - get thyself a machine!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 10:24:27 AM »
Well that's true though I wouldn't be hand sewing it, that would take forever to look nice. I did make a hand sewn rectangular skirt for Halloween but it was only for Halloween :D Took me a few days too but it was kind of like meditation. :)

The point is that machine sewing bias hems can be UGLY and very frustrating...hand sewing, while slow, often works out quicker than all the fiddling and unpicking you do if you try to persevere by machine.  Trust Aunty Fairy, we've all been there!
C'est moi!

Merfreak

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »
I definitely have to play with the machine and different stitches first to see how they look like on the fabric... How would one go about hand-stitching the hem? Just the very basic hand stitch or is there some other that looks better? My hand sewing skills are... rather modest.

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 11:28:15 AM »
The other problem with circular skirts is that unless you have a very stable fabric the bias areas will drop and it is no longer a true circle. Getting it trimmed so that it hangs evenly can be quite a fiddle.

An A-line skirt really will be easier, or you could try something with panels like this
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-skirts-in-three-lengths-simplicity-sewing-pattern-1369?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2-bHBRDEh6qk5b6yqKIBEiQAFUz29jQPyrvPliibkL5viPFb1geGAX6yDmgoG0Mftl-YTLcaAm538P8HAQ
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:53 AM »
There are several ways to hand stitch a hem.

I tend to use a slip stitch because I find it quickest, but it depends on the fabric and your preference.