The Sewing Place

Dress as a wedding guest

Francesca

Re: Dress as a wedding guest
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 21:46:27 PM »
Idea?https://www.etsy.com/listing/110789329/vintage-1950s-party-dressfabulous

Oooh that's beautiful!

There is an option I might be able to use to wear something off the shoulder. My old strapless bra was great but it is a 38" back. I'm a 40" now but really more of a 39". I may find that by the end of the year I've lost a bit of weight and it'll fit again. So off-the-shoulder isn't totally off the cards.

But I do like the plunge on the Vogue pattern I shared, I think the top has a nice shape. I already own the pattern, so I can always make a toile and see what I think.

Surest1tch

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 19:02:20 PM »
I love the pink one at the top although it may be a bit chilly for NYE.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 21:58:20 PM »
I love the first dress, the pink one, that skirt is just fabulous, so different - but I always love asymmetric hems.

UttaRetch

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »
You could make

from

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Francesca

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »
Ooh I love that. I might have to toile a few shapes to see.

I can wear my for coat over anything short sleeved. The ceremony and venue are all in the same building anyway.

Francesca

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 14:03:05 PM »
Need to start thinking about this again as I need to budget it in in the next few months and am aiming to get it started (toile at least) in the summer to avoid having too much to do close to Christmas.

Bridesmaids have to their dresses now and they are gold.

I am now fairly set on going for a more blue/icey colourway than overly Christmassy. I think I'm get on this fabric:

Now pattern. I absolutely love the Vogue dress with the asymmetric hem but I'm just too self conscious of my arms :(

I love the high-low hem on this. I wonder if I could put a dramatic backing colour on the inside of the skirt? This bodice is a no-no for me but it's got a waist seam and therefore could frankenpattern. My fabric is thicker and therefore likely to give a more dramatic shape, which I don't mind.

This has a lovely bodice shape though I still think the arms aren't quite enough coverage for me:

This sort of bodice would be my DREAM because it's so interesting (and that's what I want) but still has sleeves. But how on earth would I do an FBA on that?!

This is cute and comes with multi-cup.

Oh and also I found the perfect hat and it's £260.  :x Now trying to find a knockoff!

b15erk

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 14:19:25 PM »
Fran, you can do any hem you like when you have a top pattern sorted out.  If you are self conscious of your arms, you could go for a short jacket or bolero over the dress.

I like the top of the dress you've just bought, but maybe you think it isn't special enough.

Love the blue fabric, you could go either silver/grey or blue for accessories.  Or maybe something else entirely.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 14:37:41 PM »
Fran, you can do any hem you like when you have a top pattern sorted out.  If you are self conscious of your arms, you could go for a short jacket or bolero over the dress.

I like the top of the dress you've just bought, but maybe you think it isn't special enough.

Love the blue fabric, you could go either silver/grey or blue for accessories.  Or maybe something else entirely.

Jessie

I'm really not a fan of the whole bolero thing. I think it's very Mother of the Bride. Without meaning to cause offence, I think it looks classy and lovely and fabulous on women who are a little older than me. On me, it'd just look like I was not dressing my age. I also want to be able to dance and not wear a jacket haha! I'll be taking my silver fur coat with me either way.

And yes you're right. I need to get the bodice done first before anything else.

I love that one with the cutouts but I'm thinking busy print might hide it and make it pointless.

I'm erring towards purchasing and toileing up the yellow dress. I like the deep plunge and it's just a bit more interesting than the others.

b15erk

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 14:41:45 PM »
I made DD a lovely dress for a wedding last year.  Very plain at the front, but a very pretty back, and that had a hi-lo hem.  as I remember it, it came from a Spanish magazine, and was very easy.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 15:25:21 PM »
I think your fabric choice is fab. I've seen some reviews on the cut-out dress and they all reported issues with fitting the bodice ( can't think why!) It needs to be constructed before you can fit it apparently, so going to cause to problems for any of us who don't conform to the pattern sizing.

The little hat jobbie is lush - you could make that - no problem.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Francesca

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 15:26:55 PM »
If you know where to find that nice shape of felted wool for the hat, please let me know! I am struggling.

BrendaP

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2017, 23:55:56 PM »
This is cute and comes with multi-cup.

Hmmm!  It looks as though two different cup sizes have been combined in that photo! 

Ducks out of the way of  :fish: :fish: :fish:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 00:00:49 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy, Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitch.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Samantha

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
I saw a dress someone made for the recent Dressmakers ball with a high low hem, it was red and the inside was black, looked very effective.

charlotte

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 11:25:35 AM »
This sort of bodice would be my DREAM because it's so interesting (and that's what I want) but still has sleeves. But how on earth would I do an FBA on that?!

It looks like there is an underbodice and an overbodice and they both have the same princess lines running through them, so you could do your FBA there? I don't really know about FBAs though so I might be wrong...

Francesca

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »
OK, I think I've decided.

I am going to use the Bootstrap Fashion Design App to make a pattern. It's cheap which means I can make a toile first at least.

I'm going to go for a dramatic deep V (push up bra needed!) and then keep the top simple (boobs being the focus up top, haha!)

For the skirt I'm going for something fairly full, below the knee, with a hi-lo hem.

The inside I am going to pick a colour from the main fabric and line the inside of the skirt with it so that it has a colour on the inside. Probably a pale blue. I can then use that fabric to make a pocket square for the boyfriend (who will probably wear a navy suit).

You can see the style lines better in this plain cream:

The front will come to below the knee and the back will come to ankle.