The Sewing Place

Dress as a wedding guest

Acorn

Re: Dress as a wedding guest
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2017, 13:06:10 PM »
That sounds beautiful.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

charlotte

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2017, 13:59:26 PM »
I love it!!

How are you going to do the hem? I wonder whether it would be better with a deep facing, rather than a lining, as you will see the inside at the back? I have always wondered how you are 'supposed' to hem high-low skirts...

Francesca

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2017, 14:04:54 PM »
I love it!!

How are you going to do the hem? I wonder whether it would be better with a deep facing, rather than a lining, as you will see the inside at the back? I have always wondered how you are 'supposed' to hem high-low skirts...

Yes I want it to be affixed somehow to the inner of the skirt. I was thinking a deep facing/hem all around the bottom to enclose the lining in, possibly with horsehair braid inside to keep it in nice waves. The only thing I can't figure out is how to keep the lining from sagging? I was thinking if I stitch it into the side seams that will help, but if the whole back layer is separate and only joined at the hem, I wonder if it will sag a little in the middle. Definite thought needed. I could stab-stitch, but I wonder if I use a delicate fabric for the lining will that show? Maybe if I use a slightly heavier lining than silk, and use silk thread to bury the stitches I can stab-stitch enough to keep the two layers secure.

Missie

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2017, 16:25:11 PM »
I think I'd be inclined to bag line the skirt, treat the skirt and lining as one and sew onto the bodice shell.  Line the bodice as usual but handsew it at the waist to the skirt and lining.   I don't see that a deep facing would work and you would run the risk of a) the facing sagging and b) the skirt fabric showing above the facing when you move.

DementedFairy

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2017, 17:32:12 PM »
I'm with Missie.  Even nicer if you pipe the edge when it's bagged out.  I've done this on some of my steampunk gear, and it's a nice way to get a little help at the hemline without using crin
C'est moi!