The Sewing Place

Silk Dupion Peacock Dress

charlotte

Re: Silk Dupion Peacock Dress
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 16:05:12 PM »
I'm at the tacking together for fitting stage. Here's a picture of the back yoke panel.

Efemera

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 16:37:06 PM »
That's going to be a work of art... fabulous.

Fiona M

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 16:52:27 PM »
It's going to be gorgeous!  Can't wait to see the finished item.

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 17:25:29 PM »
It's looking good, Charlotte.  I downloaded a copy of that Threads issue and didn't realise there was so much work involved in actually creating the panel.

charlotte

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 20:31:18 PM »
Tack fitting has revealed the slight issue that I cannot get in or out of it.  :S Because of the back panel it has to have a side zip and with the sleeves it is a real battle to get on and off

I will lower the front neck and increase the armholes (and sleeves) a touch. Unfortunately I can't really tell if it will be okay until the sleeve seam allowances are trimmed, so I will just go for it and absolute worse case scenario it will have to be sleeveless.

I have a dress from the same pattern in cotton with a side zip and that works fine, so I am hoping it will be okay with just those slight adjustments.

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 21:23:40 PM »
Wot, you mean you don't have collapsible shoulders!!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Francesca

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 21:36:37 PM »
That is so beautiful!

charlotte

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 23:42:36 PM »
Got one sleeve in and it fits, so that is a huge relief!

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 21:20:44 PM »
It's looking really good - and unique 0_0

Because of the back panel it has to have a side zip and with the sleeves it is a real battle to get on and off

IME getting out of a dress with a side zip is more difficult than getting into it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

charlotte

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »
Yes, BrendaP - it's still rather tricky to wiggle out of, but it's doable!!

So pretty much all that's left to do is hemming (it's all pinned in place) and then I want to add some bra catches to keep the shoulders in place and some dress shields under the arms.

The trouble is I'm just not sure about it.  :S I tried it on again last night and I do like it a lot (which is good, because I thought I didn't). The problem is I'm worried that it looks a bit too Asian (much more so than I was expecting), so I am a bit worried about cultural appropriation and looking a bit silly, especially as we have been told it is 'not an Asian wedding'. I will get some pictures up soon and you can all give opinions! Plus I have my mum and my sewing friend round next weekend so they can have a look as well.

Francesca

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 10:35:32 AM »
Interested to see a full picture of it, but I really wouldn't worry. As long as you are not breaking any sort of sacred rules, it's just fashion. And you've been invited to join (this is the argument usually used in cultural appropriation discussions, have you been invited into it or not. I don't fully believe in cultural appropriation at the same level some do, but this is usually their distinction).

Ploshkin

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »
I would think what you wear with it i.e. shoes, jewellery etc and how you have your hair will determine how more or less Asian it looks.  I love Chinese style tops but I definitely don't look as though I'm trying to appear  Chinese when I wear one.
Life's too short for ironing.

maliw

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 17:19:27 PM »
Years ago while shopping at Bombay Stores in Bradford I asked one of the assistants if it bothered them that we wanted to wear their clothes, the reply was that they looked on it as an honour, so go ahead and wear your dress with pride. The reason I asked in the store was because when we lived in Glasgow I got some very negative comments from people when I mentioned wearing a tartan, no I don't belong to a clan but it wasn't seen as an honour for someone wanting to wear the tartan.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula