The Sewing Place

Silk Dupion Peacock Dress

charlotte

Silk Dupion Peacock Dress
« on: April 21, 2017, 14:25:05 PM »
I have four weddings in the next two years – two I am a bridesmaid at so no need to worry about what to wear there – although one may involve the bride-to-be choosing fabric and me making my dress, and possibly helping another bridesmaid to make hers, but that will be a whole different thread.

The other two are consecutive weekends in October. One of them is a multi-cultural Bangladeshi-English affair. The first part would be more English (her family) and the second part more Bangladesh (his) and there was even the suggestion from the groom’s cousin that we could do a costume change half way through! My idea was to make a western style dress out of sari silk – although I did worry that this would not be warm enough for October.

Anyway… my latest issue of Threads magazine arrived with an article on sewing with Sari silk (yay!) but also this top on the front cover:

So now my idea is (drum roll) a peacock blue silk dupion shift dress (fabric from India, so correct vague geographic area at least), with a sheer panel of peacock feathers (like the one down the centre of the top, but I don't want a sheer bit over my boobs!) going horizontally just above the hem, and also a vertical one on the upper back (above bra line). My idea is that the sheer panel at the bottom will reflect the border pattern on the pallu of a sari.

It’s a bit dressier than what I would normally wear to a wedding but I think you can get away with that for a winter wedding, and the multi-cultural nature will mean there will be a real mix of styles anyway.

Francesca

Re: Silk Dupion Peacock Dress
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 14:41:41 PM »
I think that sounds gorgeous!

Could you put the "sheer" layer over the top of something else? I think it'll look really nice.

Snowgoose

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 14:55:48 PM »
That would be absolutely beautiful!  I do envy you ladies - and gentlemen  :) - that can do 'proper' sewing  8)

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 15:13:52 PM »
I did think about something behind the sheer panel but I though you would lose the floating effect, so I decided to just go for a more strategic placement.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 15:19:03 PM »
love it, post loads of gorgeous pics please!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 15:27:23 PM »
Love the dress on Threads and also your dress ideas - hope you post photos!

Mama likes to make

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 15:35:27 PM »
Gorgeous
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Kittensposies

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 15:47:26 PM »
That sounds gorgeous!!!

You must post photos, it's compulsory;)

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 16:02:30 PM »
Many, many years ago I made my own wedding dress from royal blue silk with an overlay of peacock feather print on the skirt (Liberty Hera silk chiffon) and I think it looked very effective- not unlike the effect here though more demure. Of course the dress has unaccountably shrunk in the wardrobe in the intervening decades  ;)........
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 16:19:40 PM »
Sounds lovely!  Happy to cheer you on with this one!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 18:16:18 PM »
... I don't want a sheer bit over my boobs!)

What about a panel with peacock feathers.  Asian fabric shops sell trimmings like this

and you may come across just the thing.  I would also check that no [bad] symbolism is attached to the peacock. 

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 22:15:13 PM »
I wore peacock coloured silks for my daughter's October wedding- a dress and coat, both from vintage patterns.  Both were underlined in silk organza, and also lined.  Warm as toast!

I bought peacock feather clips to tart up some boring black slingbacks, and put peacock feathers in my hat.  I loved it!

Some people think peacock feathers are unlucky, but you won't get that interpretation at an Indian wedding, so I wouldn't worry!
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 23:15:28 PM »
You could back the sheer bit with a flesh coloured silk organza or similar to avoid spoiling the look.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

charlotte

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 14:06:56 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. :D

I thought about a flesh coloured backing, or wearing a flesh coloured slip but I don't even want it to look like I have sheer bits in potentially inappropriate places, especially for a Muslim wedding :| so I'll just make sure they are only revealing bits of skin I don't mind having on display!

The bride is not superstitious at all and I'm fairly sure there aren't any peacock feather issues in Muslim culture - peacocks are a symbol of royalty so they'll just think I have ideas above my station!

I got my fabric out and I think the silk dupion is more like a raw silk - I'm not sure what the difference is to be honest, but this is finer and more slub-y than silk dupion I've used in the past. It's also fairly transluscent so I am underlining with subtle grey wax printed/ tie dyed cotton (instead of the silk organza I originally planned) which gives a lovely effect when the light shines through it.

I've cut out all my pieces and marked all my stitching lines on the underlining and now I'm just hand-tacking my layers together, then I'll get to work on the sheer back panel (pictures soon!).

I'll do a hand tacked fabric fit before I sew everything together properly.

I probably won't even be able to dry clean this dress with the feathers, etc., so I'm thinking I will make a separate slip instead of a lining, with thread chains and snaps to attach it at the shoulders, as well as removable dress shields at the underarms, so at least those bits can be washed!

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 20:13:59 PM »
Sounds like a plan!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !