The Sewing Place

Better late than never.

Surest1tch

Better late than never.
« on: April 21, 2017, 22:13:12 PM »
Hi,
I thought I'd better just say hello and introduce myself despite having already posted  -<
My real name is Diane, I'm recently retired from almost a lifetime in tailoring.  I live in East Yorkshire with my husband and dog, I had many plans of what I was going to do once I retired but at the moment I'm finding it quite hard to motivate myself but I guess it's a case of getting used to the idea of going to bed and getting up when I like, not having to break my neck to get all my chores done while working full time.
I'm trying hard to get back into sewing which I've loved doing since I was quite.  I'm more used to working couture clothing and tailored garments. I don't want my brain to forget what it's there for so I'm looking to learn how to make things without so much structure and style. I hope that doesn't sound like I want to turn myself into a scruff I would just like to find a way of dressing that's comfortable but not too complicated that I can run up quickly as the mood takes me. Night school or college is not really an option as I  now live in a small village and travel is quite difficult.
I don't really know what else to say about myself but I hope that's enough for you to get to know me a little bit  :D

b15erk

Re: Better late than never.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 22:20:26 PM »
A big welcome from me SS.  I'm sure you'll  settle into a new routine shortly. In the meantime I'm sure you will find lots to interest you here!

Look forward to seeing some of your projects!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 23:02:52 PM »
Welcome from me too. This is a very relaxed forum  |O so just pull up a chair and make yourself comfy. Looking forward to getting to know you. There is a time for everything isn't there? Work and play, slow and careful and relaxed and speedy!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Sewsuzie

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 23:11:53 PM »
Hi Diane, welcome from another Yorkshire lass. I'm geographically in a North Yorkshire village, but postal address is East Yorks and postcode is South Yorkshire?????? Mad!!
Hope you get used to your retirement quickly and settle down to some fun sewing.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Lantana

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 23:27:52 PM »
Welcome and congratulations on retirement ... you'll soon get used to it I'm sure.Sounds like you've got plenty of expertise to share.

:vintage:

Snowbird

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 13:36:48 PM »
Hi Diane , welcome from South Yorkshire :)  Enjoy your retirement  :sew:

Fiona M

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 13:39:33 PM »
Hi Diane!  Waves from Halifax.  I retired a couple of years ago, and don't know how I ever had time to go to work!
Happy sewing  :vintage:

Snowbird

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 13:39:53 PM »
Hi Diane, welcome from another Yorkshire lass. I'm geographically in a North Yorkshire village, but postal address is East Yorks and postcode is South Yorkshire?????? Mad!!
Hope you get used to your retirement quickly and settle down to some fun sewing.

Suzie  :vintage:

It was like this for me where I grew up .....post address was Doncaster, but telephone exchange was Rotherham. Now moved to next town and we have the same town in our address where I grew up but are in Rotherham and postcode is Sheffield .......who works these things out ? lol

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 19:56:25 PM »
Thank you for the lovely welcome.
My address is an East York's address, the postcode is a Hull one and my phone code is from the York billing area, how's that for confusion
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 00:02:41 AM by Surest1tch »

maliw

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 20:14:58 PM »
Hello and welcome from a Yorkshire exile.You'll soon get used to your retirement, just enjoy yourself and take each day as it comes, you learn to be spontaneous.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Fiona M

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 20:58:46 PM »
I recommend Fabworks in Dewsbury, it's nice and handy for the rail station, and also 'Lucky Fashions' in Dewsbury, which is a small shop tucked away and run by a most delightful lady.  A veritable treasure trove, it's only open Wednesday & Saturday, we can tell you how to find it if you want to go there.
there are a couple of fabric stalls on Dewsbury market, and also Leeds market.  Apart from that, there isn't much round here, but there is a place over Burnley way, called Immanuels, which sells very cheap fabric bought as job lots and sold on quickly.  again,, let us know if you want directions and/or company!  it's housed in an old chapel (hence the name) and referred to by us as 'church'  :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 21:08:21 PM »
I love the 'church' ...I travel from Suffolk to the Church ... welcome to the forum Surest1tch .. you will discover we are great enablers....  :angel: :devil:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Snowbird

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
In fact I should be very pleased to know where any of the Yorkshire members go for fabrics, the closest place I've found with a decent choice is in Goldthorpe which is quite some distance from me, several miles the other side of Doncaster  :( because it is so far away I don't go often but when I do go I nearly bankrupt myself as there is so much choice I can't resist it

Lollipop

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
Hi Diane from yet another Yorkie now living in n Lincolnshire. Postcodes and telephone codes are not much of an indication to where you live now are they? There's a decent shop in Scunthorpe opposite the Range which has a bit of everything but I tend to buy online a lot. I do use Waltons in Goldthorpe as I sew dancewear but agree with Snowbird that it can be a bit hit and miss. I am promising myself a visit to Fabworks next time I go to Ikea which might be next week!! What day is the market in Dewsbury Fiona? Enjoy your retirement and I hope you get some time to play.
Lorraine x
Was Sewnanny

Fiona M

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 11:32:41 AM »
What day is the market in Dewsbury Fiona?
Wednesdays and Saturdays, same as Lucky Fashions  ;)  The lady who runs LF also has a stall on the market.